SASS Wire Forum

San Antonio TX

Flanigan Flats

I'm in San Antonio TX for a class until the 16th. I'll have the weekend (Sat-Mon) off. I have a car and somewhat limited funds. What would ya all suggest I do in the area or within 100 miles or so of the san Antonio area? Thanks for any suggestions in advance. right now I'm looking at 3 days of boredom.

There's the usual stuff downtown like the River Walk and there's an old church to visit too. Maybe a day trip over to Fredericksburg, nice place to visit.

In Fredericksburg, make sure to allow some time for the World War II in the Pacific museum! And some of their beer and brats and kraut, too.

Good luck, GJ

No such thing as boredom in the San Antonio area!

Definitely what Mad Dog Jack said... but also...

Just North of San Antonio is the edge of the Texas Hill Country and a lot of great communities and things to see. Head up to New Braunfels and then make your way over to Greune, TX (Greune has essentially been swallowed by New Braunfels)... its a great little 6 block radius dripping in history and streets lined with unique shops and restaurants right on the Guadalupe River. You can also check out Greune Hall, The Oldest Dance Hall in Texas. There's a great restaurant there called The Gristmill- you can sit in front of a fire by the river and have some excellent food. Greune is one of my favorite places.

Also, its just a little bit further to head up to Fredericksburg, TX- definitely worth the trip. You can even stop in to Cimarron F.A.C. and Texas Jacks and say hello. Then, heck- if your in Fredericksburg... your just a few minutes from Luckenbach, TX.. you'll have no signs to follow because they get stolen as fast as they can put them up, but ask around Fredericksburg for good directions. Talk about dripping in history.. Luckenbach is awesome- complete with chickens running through all the giant live oak trees, and some "pickin' & grinnin" in the back of the old post office. There's a reason Willy & Waylon loved that place.

Those are just a few of my favorite places in the area....

Have fun!!

Misty Moonshine

Ya all,

Have hit everything I've done and enjoyed already on this trip or previous ones. I last weekend here as well. Did the River Walk and the Alamo. Went to Sea world and spent Monday in Fredricksburg. I spent to much money at Texas Jacks LOL. Any cool hikes or Hot Springs?

You can climb the enchanted rock, where Ben McCulloch, I belive it was, fought off several Commanche. The Spoetzl brewery in Shiner is not open on the weekends, but you could go down there and prowl around. There is a RC airplane museum in Schulenburgh. Lots of state parks to go hiking in, pick your community. Bastrop had a devastating fire in their state park two years ago, so not as pretty as it once was unless charred tree stumps is your thing. Bob Bullock museum in Austin, and the capital. Go to Galveston or Houston for the day or a weekend, lots to do there, just hop on IH 10.

Ya all,

Have hit everything I've done and enjoyed already on this trip or previous ones. I last weekend here as well. Did the River Walk and the Alamo. Went to Sea world and spent Monday in Fredricksburg. I spent to much money at Texas Jacks LOL. Any cool hikes or Hot Springs?

But did you go to the Nimitz/ Museum Of The Pacific? If not you missed a great one. Really 3 museums in one. The ticket is good for two days.

For a fun meal, eat at Pioneer Flour Mill. It is an old mill in downtown San Antonio area - fairly close in.

129 E Guenther
San Antonio, TX 78204

Also eat the the Guenther House Restaurant

Breakfast & Brunch

205 E Guenther
San Antonio, TX 78204

For a nice relaxing view of history, visit the restored San Jose mission:

6710 San Jose Dr
San Antonio, TX 78214

I have been to the Nimitz/Pacific Museum. I spent 2 days there on my first trip to Fredricksburg. Great place. I think I'll go check out the Texican Rangers Saturday morning. I don't have guns or a hat but I have some clothes I've picked up here in the last week or so. I'll hit a couple of thrift stores tomorrow afternoon and maybe I can get a reasonable priced hat. Maybe even some suspenders. Maybe somebody will feel sorry for me and let me shoot there guns. If not I'd rather hang out with Cowboy shooters than most other folks.

Then Sunday maybe I'll check out Enchanted Rock. I'll do a search for it and see what I can come up with.

If you are going to the Big Rock you could stop by Tin Star Ranch and check it out. Just a few miles from the rock and on the way. It is also a SASS Range so look up their web site.

If you want to stretch out your drive time a bit, head up I-35 to Waco (2½-3 hrs from San Antonio) and spend several enjoyable hours at the Texas Ranger Museum. It's on the east side of I-35, just south of the river, so it's easy to find. Great displays on the history of the Rangers, and a firearms collection guaranteed to keep you droolin' the whole time you're there.

Regards, TJH

I have been to the Nimitz/Pacific Museum. I spent 2 days there on my first trip to Fredricksburg. Great place. I think I'll go check out the Texican Rangers Saturday morning. I don't have guns or a hat but I have some clothes I've picked up here in the last week or so. I'll hit a couple of thrift stores tomorrow afternoon and maybe I can get a reasonable priced hat. Maybe even some suspenders. Maybe somebody will feel sorry for me and let me shoot there guns. If not I'd rather hang out with Cowboy shooters than most other folks.

Then Sunday maybe I'll check out Enchanted Rock. I'll do a search for it and see what I can come up with.

Join the Texicans Saturday. I-10 W to Exit 523 (US 87) then north on 87 for 8 miles. See twin antenna towers on the right after the top of the hill, 1/4 past that turn LEFT into Stieler Ranch. Follow asphalt road past ranch house on left, past stables, through gate (close it if it's closed), follow two-track another 1/2 mile to HQ.

May be damp - 40% probability of showers. Bring a box of 12 ga shotshells or reimburse me for AAs, I'll provide a SG, 66 Rifle, Rugers, 38 ammo. I have leather for waist 37 - 40. If that doesn't fit, you can stage pistols. SxS or 97 SG?

830-four five nine-three one five zero spikesATktcDOTcom

Texas Ranger Museum in Waco worth the trip.

If you want to shoot drive to George West, 1 hour south of SA on IH 37. Texas Riviera Pistoleros. 6 stages, plus lunch afterwards. Directions to range http://www.trpistoleros.com

I'll fix you up with guns and ammo. Just let me know. Call me 3613860039 or email jrooney@brownwatermarine.com if you want to join us.

If you go up to Enchanted Rock, see if you have time to drive the Willow City Loop (google it). A lovely pubic road through private ranch land that evokes, in places, the San Juan mountains in Colorado. I like to start in Willow City and drive it CCW, which puts you back on Hwy 16 about 10 miles from the Rock. It's a real treat when the wildflowers are showin'.

Due to the govt shit down my training here in San Antonio was cut short at a pretty good cost to the tax payer's of our country. After our politicians stop screwing around and figure out how to end the peeing contest they got there selves into I'll have to return to San Antonio again to reacomplish the training that I've already done and finish the course. I nstead of being here another week I'm going home tomorrow afternoon.

That being said I had an awesomely fantastic time shooting with Grouchy Spike, Chico and the rest of the Texican Rangers this morning. Thank you Grouchy for the use of your first class guns today. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. When I get back down here I'll be in touch so we can do it again.

Flanigan

Gee whiz, Flanigan, I possed with you yesterday and failed to make the connection to this thread! Glad you were able to join us.

Take the Bandera hwy to Bandera, not much to see there but it a very pretty drive. Then head over to Fredricksburg. See the WW2 museum and then visit Texas Jacks. We saw buffalo, long horns, camels, I believe kudu and other exotic game on that drive.

Thanks for the kind words, cowboys.

Flanigan Flats acquited himself very well at yesterday's match, particularly when one considers that he was shooting guns unfamiliar to him. Enjoyed cowboying with him.

And Flanigan I forgot to tell you the 'Rest of the Story'. Recall that on the day before the match, Chico and I had repaired a flat on the utility trailer that hauls the EZGO gun cart - two punctures were plugged. And then repaired the spare because the plugged repair from last year was leaking and the tire was flat. Enroute to the match, we had a blow out on the two-plug tire along I-10 at about 75 mph, but installed the spare and continued to the range. At the range the EZGO wouldn't go (later found to be a broken wire). On the way home, the spare tire on the utility trailer, now on the ground, blew out at 60 mph. We detached the truck, Chico headed into Kerrville with one blown out tire and rim to get a replacement. He left me sitting in the EZGO on the shoulder of the interstate, with the ice chest, which wasn't too bad a deal until I became thirsty and opened up the chest to discover that there is only one beer in it, and no koozie. So I had to drink that one beer fairly quickly to enjoy it cold, instead of being able to savor it over several minutes. While I was sitting there, looking ahead on the interstate, I noticed there was a big oak tree on the right-of-way about 200 yards distance where we could have stopped so I'd be sitting in the shade. Nonetheless Chico arrived with a cold six pack iced down, and replacement tire which we installed quickly as we were now practiced in tire changes, and thinking that we might apply to a NASCAR team. As we loaded up the jack and prepared to pull away, a deputy stopped behind us to offer assistance. I thanked him, told him that he missed the party, but we were now mobile again. Thankfully he didn't inspect the license plate on the trailer to see the expired registration sticker. Monday I'll buy two more trailer tires, and that will eat up some of my 'gun money'. And likely replace two others on a tandem axle trailer too, as they are about 10 years old. There goes the rest of my 'gun money'. But it's no fun changing tires along the highway either. Registration renewal can wait until next month.

Archived