SASS Wire Forum

What shuck better

diablo slim

I only put enough stuff on a rag to make SURE they are clean. Just enough to lift and clean and the sand

and grit off of them.

I also clean my chambers after every stage.

Very seldom have one stick.

I, clean the chambers before each stage

Wipe the dry hulls one last time, and check the end for a good crimp

less than really really good crimps, can cause a hull to hang up, as it does not open perfectly

less than perfect ejection movement on the shooters part, can casuse stuck hulls as well

After the reloading is done, I squirt a little BreakFree on the pile and wipe down with a rag. It makes them all shiny and clean. I guess that means I lube mine. I use Gun Club once fired hulls in a Russian SXS. They shuck just fine!! :)

That'd my story and I 'm sticking to it.

Chancy

Dry shells, dry chambers.

Any amount of any kind of "lube" might just cause the surface of the hull and the surface of the chamber to "cling" together. Not the desired result. In fact it will be the opposite of the desired result.

I will swab out the chambers now and again but no more than once or twice a match, sometimes none if things are swimming along swimmingly. When I do the swabbing instrument is most definitely completely dry.

As a BP shooter, I have found that once fired Gun Clubs shuck the most reliably. I have a nearly endless supply and only load them once. Honed and polished chambers help a ton. Chamber brush every stage or two just in case.

CR

As a BP shooter, I have found that once fired Gun Clubs shuck the most reliably. I have a nearly endless supply and only load them once. Honed and polished chambers help a ton. Chamber brush every stage or two just in case.

CR

Same here! Remington Cun Club hulls or the Remington black high velocity. With the chamber brush.

CR

No wonder I can't find the hulls I need. Rick is faster into the dumpster than I am. <_<

Chancy

did I mention good crimps help amung all of the other advice

uneven crimps un fold un-even

dont believe me

examine your hulls that hang up, see if they flowered perfectly

I load on MEC 9000. Final station is a taper to an already good crimp. Dry shells, dry chamber/

Chancy - Dimpled Darlin' shoots new Gun Clubs in her 97, so I get a fresh supply every match!

CR

Me..I clean with chamber brush and give them a ballistol squirt but I don't squirt shells....Now I know a guy who does religiously squirts the crimp end only with ballistol of EVERY hull he fires. He is not so great a shooter..only a 7 time World Frontier Cartridge Champion..don't know how he did this year..maybe 8 time. He confides that the reason he was not an 8 time CONSECUTIVE World Champion is that one shell he didn't squirt that stuck...knowing that I still don't do it.....so the dry advocates will do what works for them...I will do what works for me..and world champions will do what they do...looks like to me it just don't matter....but it was an interesting question :)

Could be a number of factors for your choice. I find down here in Texas, i have better shuckabilty with the crimped ends of my reloaded shotshells having a swipe of lube on them. Swab out my chambers right before going to the loading table every stage. Dust and humidity has been a problem down here. I did shoot Winter Range and EOT - crazy weather in both places, never had one problem shuckin using this current technique.

OkD

I seem to have better luck with the STS golds.

Fellows/Pards,

Ammunition cases/hulls should NEVER be lubed prior to firing. This causes excessive pressures back against the bolts of rifles and some pistols, recoil shields of revolvers, and breach faces of shotguns.

Inquire with any expert on small arms, anywhere in the USA, on this. No where does any manufacturer recommend lubing ammo cases prior to firing. Fact is in the case of high intensity rifle rounds, there are express warnings to be sure that cases are free of any kind of lube, left over from the re-loading process.

Clean and dry, is the only way they should be used.

RBK

Well,

I run mine dry. I use Remington SKS. I don't do a thing to the shotgun between stages or for the next matches shooting smokeless. Using Black it will run for 12 stages no problem with reloads. I do clean it after the match. Gunslinger did a great job on the barrels. I like to keep things simple. It never has a shell stick.

Archived