SASS Wire Forum

Gun fever cooling?

Utah Bob #35998

UB, just which gun of yours has a fever? You might want to separate it from your other guns just in case it's contagious. You wouldn't want all your guns to get a fever.

They all seem to heat up. ;)

Our local chain gun store is advertising EBRs on sale. Still little ammo though...

However, I've actually seen .22LR in the wild (Wally*Mart), and heard rumors of powder and primers coming back into the system. Ammo companies are apparently producing hunting loads for the fall seasons.

Word of Caution: If the antis get the mass shooting they've been longing for, the improving situation would be reversed immediately.

Local gun stores have plenty of Taurus, Rossi and Bersas. Have not seen a J- or K-frame S&W in months for under $750, even a used 50% finish one.

Local Wally-world has a few boxes of .270 Win, .300 Win Mag, and $30/box .30-30. No .22lrs.

Local indoor firing ranges have changed. At the beginning of the year shooters did show up to shoot one box of ammo very slowly. Now the range (that last fall had a one-hour backlog) is less than half-full at any time.

Sure didn't look like it was cooling off to me. S & W had a factory rep "sale" yesterday (today also) at a local store. At the rate folks were filling out the forms, you'd have thought that they were giving them away. The M & P's (expecially the Shield) seemed to be the most popular followed by the AR type rifles.

CS

$50.00 for 500 rds. of CCI .22's at a local dealer, bought a box for door prizes for Firelands shooters. I box of 50 for a prize.

Was at the Loveland Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday. They had a good selection of handguns, including Glocks, Sigs, Kimbers and S&W revolvers. A month ago the same store didn't have a single 9mm on the rack.

They had both 40SW and 45ACP ammo, but still no 9mm or .22. Primers and powder non-existent.

A local gun club with a small store, that limits ammo sales to members and paying visitors, has all types of pistol ammo, including .22 in stock. They generally limit to 3 boxes per visit. I even picked up a box of Federal Lrg Pistol primers and a box of Winchester shotgun primers. I think that the members are becoming pretty sure the club will have ammo when they visit, so there is little hoarding going on there.

GW

Sure didn't look like it was cooling off to me. S & W had a factory rep "sale" yesterday (today also) at a local store. At the rate folks were filling out the forms, you'd have thought that they were giving them away. The M & P's (expecially the Shield) seemed to be the most popular followed by the AR type rifles.

CS

The company I w**k for does some of the machine work on a few of the injection molded parts for the M&P line. We are processing in the neighborhood of 7000 locking blocks for 9mm, and about 5000 for .40 and .45 cal per week. Been that way for most of this year. A few slow weeks, but for the most part, pretty steady.

Guns I see in the shops now. Even some ARs.

Ammo I don't

I drove down to Green Top in Glen Allen a few days ago, acting on a heads-up from a gunsmith friend. They had plenty of ammo (except NO .22 LR) and even had 6 boxes of Remington 30-40 Krag. They had a good supply of powder for reloading, so I got one of the last two bottles of Trail Boss they had and got some Pyrodex P. Lots of rifle primers and small pistol, but no large pistol. A previous trip six weeks or so ago was a washout, as the shelves were bare of damn near any ammo or powder, so I hope we may have turned a corner.

The local independent gun store, where I do most of my business, is buying back .22lr for twice the paid for price and then tacking on $50 per brick (500 rds). He can not get any .22lr from his regular suppliers.

"Cheaperthandirt" has CCI MiniMags 36 gr. copper plated 100 rds. for $29.59. Before Obama was elected you could buy them for $5.00 a box, all day long, anywhere.

The gun shop/range that I used to work at has just got some 9mm, 40's and 45's in. He said he was out of all 3 calibers for 2 months! It's starting to trickle in a bit but there's still a long way to go.

Rye :angry:

The local independent gun store, where I do most of my business, is buying back .22lr for twice the paid for price and then tacking on $50 per brick (500 rds). He can not get any .22lr from his regular suppliers.

"Cheaperthandirt" has CCI MiniMags 36 gr. copper plated 100 rds. for $29.59. Before Obama was elected you could buy them for $5.00 a box, all day long, anywhere.

That oughta read "No we're not cheaper and you're just dirt!". Never will do business with them again.

Last week my local walmart had what appeared to be half dozen boxes of 9mm Federal ammo.

Other types have returned. 30-06, 270 etc.

Still haven't seen any 22lr, 38 spcl, 357, 45acp nor 40 s&w.

Word of Caution: If the antis get the mass shooting they've been longing for, the improving situation would be reversed immediately.

Good thing they don't come to any matches, or they would see a lot of mass shooting.

Archived