SASS Wire Forum

Is Bordertown the gold standard?

Shooting Bull

The challenge to run as quickly as possible without crashing is on the shooters shoulders.

The man speaks from experience!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The challenge to run as quickly as possible without crashing is on the shooters shoulders.

The man speaks from experience!

Two of the most fun experiences you'll ever have in SASS:

#1 Watching Creeker run the ragged edge without crashing

#2 Watching Creeker run the ragged edge and have a major train wreck

I greatly prefer #1 but, #2 will certainly tickle your funny bone.

(Love ya Creeker :lol: )

You're not behind the times, I have deep respect for your contributions to our game and to your opinions.

And I didn't take your input as meaning you desire bulls eye events.

But context is everything.

The stage in question was a recreation of the outhouse scene from Unforgiven.

The Schofield Kid opens the door to the outhouse and shoots the fat man within.

The target was placed at a realistic distance and within the realistic confines of the event being recreated.

As a match director, sequences and target arrays are going to invite you to run the ragged edge.

My goal is to offer adrenaline rushes and shooters laughing at the unloading table with comments like "I think I forgot to breathe"

Everybody, at least once in their CAS career, should shoot a stage and feel like Superman.

Well now, that stage does sound fun! I really appreciate the fact that you took my post as I meant it.

I absolutely enjoy doing different things and have fun challenging myself.

Possum

I would assume that the thinking behind it is so that people can shoot it as fast as they possibly can feeling as though they can't miss. More speed= more fun in my opinion.

that is why clubs use life sized bear targets (nevada rangers) a tadd bit farther than one yard

or as in georgia, MOngo

any target at any distance can be missed, true fact

there was a time in sass that when you put something into a stage to watch folks screw it up

it was called a P trap

targets so close on purpose, so that its fun to watch folks screw up?

hey

if ya all like it, thats fine

have fun

things have truely changed alot

there is no target to big or to close that it cant be missed

cud this be a hidden miss trap LOL :D:P:D

Hard to believe that some would equate big, close target arrays with deliberately written Procedural traps

The difference is...

Eldorado is NOT written to beat you.

Eldorado is written with closer target arrays, and straightforward sequences to allow EVERY shooter to "feel" like they can run full out.

And part of this game (no matter what the target array distance or sequences) is knowing when to throttle back to keep yourself under control.

It is the rare shooter than can run every single stage 100% all out without fumble, bobble or jacked out round.

I have given this analogy before,

IMO, Cowboy Action Shooting is comparable to oval racing.

Strap our moms into a Sprint Cup car and they could go out on the high backs of Talledega and drive - They could go round and round and eventually go fast enough to scare themselves. And if they step over their personal edge, they'll lose it.

That same car with Jimmie Johnson in it can go a lot faster without losing control, but because there are folks trying to beat him, he has to push for his personal edge as well.

Driving in circles is easy, how fast you drive in that circle is the challenge.

Driving on an oval or cowboy action shooting - the concept itself should be pretty easy.

Now add speed and a whole bunch of other folks pushing you... Now it gets interesting.

Two of the most fun experiences you'll ever have in SASS:

#1 Watching Creeker run the ragged edge without crashing

#2 Watching Creeker run the ragged edge and have a major train wreck

I greatly prefer #1 but, #2 will certainly tickle your funny bone.

(Love ya Creeker :lol: )

Well....I don't know....#2 IS pretty fun to watch! hahahaha

Ya know I love ya Creeker!

Back to that HUGE REALLY close target...it really WAS fun to shoot...then moving on to normal targets...you had to remind yourself to look at the sights.

And about the registration....I'm not going to be able to make it back out there this year...3 round trips in 3 months between Louisiana and Nevada was plenty enough for me this year. LOL Wish I had the energy...you always do a great job setting up a match. ;)

"The stage in question was a recreation of the outhouse scene from Unforgiven.

The Schofield Kid opens the door to the outhouse and shoots the fat man within.

The target was placed at a realistic distance and within the realistic confines of the event being recreated."

This stage was a lot of fun and very cleaverly done. When you design a stage with doors no matter how nice or simple it is done some one will try to rip the door off its hinges or slam it open so hard that it hits a wall and bounces back getting in the shooter's way. The door looked like a regular door but it was hinged, horizontally, in the middle. You started with your hands on the upper part of the door and at the beep pushed it and the top half fell backwards onto a hay bale revealing the target. Actually seemed like more than a yard, but the main point is the stage was basically bozo proof. The hinges could'd be damaged by someone trying to rip the door off its hinges and when the top half of the door hit the hay bale it stayed there and didn't bounce back. Very fun stage.

close can be fun

we have used clay birds in a jail house door to represent shooting a lock, and breaking out of jail

ya just have to be super super carefull when you design stages like that

first timers doing something that close can sometimes get a tad bit flustered

Philly mentioned targets close enough to push his pistol past?

He might have been talking about this array.

Yep, those are the birds. Last year at Eldorado we had one of those stands and a dump target for pistols. At the beep, take out five birds and put any remaining rounds on the dump. It was FUN!!!

Creeker I just got word today that ( TOBY KEITH) may be dropping by to scope out your match and have a little sing along!I well keep all post on this! Hells Comin

He must have heard I'm gonna be there. ;)

No matter what you'al say about gold standard, BT or ED, until they get some chickens, they ain't in the running. ha.

No matter what you'al say about gold standard, BT or ED, until they get some chickens, they ain't in the running. ha.

I'll see your chickens and raise you a buzzard the size of a small child. And he flies too. ;)

Billy: does the chicken ranch count?

When in Texas of course.....viva La Grange. Get ready for CAC 2013.....I heard a rumor there might be a chicken on every stage. Hope to see you there again.

When in Texas of course.....viva La Grange. Get ready for CAC 2013.....I heard a rumor there might be a chicken on every stage. Hope to see you there again.

it used to be sheep crossing the border from cal

What a great post. I shows how much Eldorado cares about its shooters. Time to practice.

200% more chickens. :o:huh:

Our chicks have GREAT legs! And their breasts are bigger and juicier!

and what happens in boulder city

stays in boulder city

las vegas is just a long range shot away ------- for even more fun and story tellin

Archived