SASS Wire Forum

A Cowboy Chronicle EOT 2013

The simple truth is that I just couldn't go... no how...no way... wasn't going to happen.

Dang there are just so many reasons NOT to do almost anything. This year it seems like there are more reasons than ever, and honestly less discretionary money than any year in the last 4.

So I did the right thing.... LOADED UP THE TRUCK AND HERE I AM, BABY!

Dang... this is going to be a HOT one... 95 by Wednesday. But the range looks spec-friggin-tacular!

Stage 14 is an all new HOT TAMALE (sponsored by HOT TAMALE) and there is a kickin' margarita party scheduled Wed. evening to open it up! Bighorn told me that last week a monster wind took the entire top of the adobe-style façade off. He and Hipshot were a-scramblin' to put it back together. This is a serious solid structure complete with cement footings.

YEEEE HAAAWWWW... Wild Bunch warm-ups in the AM!

95? Probably a good thing I'm not there. It got that hot at the CO State match and I was a puddle of goo with a gunbelt by the last stage.

Not to mention that in my absence everyone else in the Cowboy cat will get to move up a notch. :D

Well, I'm more than a little bummed to learn today that Jim Bowie of Cowboys and Indians got too far behind on regular shop work because of the zipper they installed in his knee that he won't be here at EOT to take care of my broken guns. CRAPOLA!

JIM! You know I break a gun every year.. (or two!) NOW WHAT AM I GONNA DOOOO?

Yeah, Jim had to bail me out last time I was there. Broken 73 on the first stage of the match. But he had me up and running again by the second day.

95 there aint too bad.....just wished I was there to enjoy the warm weather with ya'll. alas, maybe next year

Last year the wife and I both said we did not care if we really ever went back.

Not because of the match itself. That was pretty good.

But the wife HATED the dust. And we both got sick.

One year later. We REALLY wish we was going.

Already planning to go next year.

Have fun BK.

Well, I'm more than a little bummed to learn today that Jim Bowie of Cowboys and Indians got too far behind on regular shop work because of the zipper they installed in his knee that he won't be here at EOT to take care of my broken guns. CRAPOLA!

JIM! You know I break a gun every year.. (or two!) NOW WHAT AM I GONNA DOOOO?

Cowboy Shooters Supply, read the Brisco Kid and Kiamichi Queen are there and the Brisco Kid is right good at fixin' up guns--and they be great folks to ride the trail with...

Hey Brother King! Good to hear your here. We got in Saturday and checkin in Sunday morn

I got a rifle you can borrow, if need be

OkD

Weel , nevermind. Your shootin a different catagory. Wrong caliber. Sorry - OkD

95 by Wednesday!! I didn't know that it was going to be so cool ,now I can't wait to get there! It's suppose to be 115 here by Friday.

See ya in a couple of days.

Kansas City Sneed andI checked in on Sunday morning - Dusty, strangely quiet on the range......Ohhhh, Wild bunch safety meeting....The devine KC Sneed was spendin some hard earned money - willingly. Meet some wonderful ladies and gents helping from the front gate all the way through the checkin. Caught up with Mist Chance and some memories of a distant shoot in Oklahoma...we think....Saw NonStop, Billy Boots, Broc Doc,Czecian Dave, Tres Eques, ShotShell, Kow Katcher, Bent Barrel Betty, The GHOST, I Rekon and Belle Kaye. Dang near the Texas state shoot all over again.

Finally met Johnny Meadows, RedWing, Bloody Dave?, Diamond Dan, and a few others. Saw the Judge movin well. Brisco Kid and his lovely lady Kiamichi Queen barely had any stakes in the ground, but the pallet of gold they had on the ground was drawin a beevy of shooters....Yup- AA feather lite shotshells. Pays to be there when a vendor opens up! Spoke a few words with Brother king, and caught TA Chance....TA looks to right at home!

Later,

OkD

Dang, someone bring me back a case or two of featherlites! Ain't seen any on the shevles here in over a year. Good thing I reload.

OK Dee, say howdy to the lovely KC Sneed for me.

95 by Wednesday!! I didn't know that it was going to be so cool ,now I can't wait to get there! It's suppose to be 115 here by Friday.

See ya in a couple of days.

I gets better. The weekend forecast is for temperatures below 90 in Edgewood. Bad news for today however is wind gusting to 35 mph. Some people are going to get sandblasted at FR today. I won't go to a local range and practice today as planned. My side match practice can wait until tomorrow.

The simple truth is that I just couldn't go... no how...no way... wasn't going to happen.

Dang there are just so many reasons NOT to do almost anything. This year it seems like there are more reasons than ever, and honestly less discretionary money than any year in the last 4.

Bighorn told me that last week a monster wind took the entire top of the adobe-style façade off. He and Hipshot were a-scramblin' to put it back together. This is a serious solid structure complete with cement footings.

YEEEE HAAAWWWW... Wild Bunch warm-ups in the AM!

I WAS going to arrive yesterday. But the penalties for not being in Alamogordo this am were more'n this cowboy makes. Not to mention some army type would be without his personal effects! Not to mention the other two guys @ Ft. Bliss!

Dang! I even helped Hipshot and crew put that up! Stayed outta their way and offered helpful hints from outta range!

And unlike Grizzly Dave, my not being there will provide some mystery as to WHO will be in last place Frontiersman!

Just don't break anything!

Oh, yeah, forgot who I was talking to. :D

Said about a guy who could break an anvil. LOL

Shoot good Brother King. Wish I was there. Planning on next year.

Marshal Stone

Wowee... If your not here......Your missing out one great shoot. Light rain early morn...Ok, maybe round 1-ish in the morning. Did I say light? Some one mentioned a 6 inch rain near by. Something about 6 inch spacing on the drops.

Shooters are slowly checking in. I bought the last case of featherlights from Kiamichi Queen. They are down to 20 ga now. Brisco Kid saved a number of shooters with his gunsmithin skill set.

Have anyone ever met Lash Latigo?

6 stages in a stiff swhirlin dusty wind. What a blast!!!

I saw a very sad king. Very sad. He is thinkin maybe tryin to become a caddy on a driving range somewhere over in Japan.

OkDee

Hey Grizzy Dave, KC Sneed waves her hand hello. You should be here. Someone mentioned....World Championships!!!

Wild Bunch either sucks or I suck at Wild Bunch? First day of Main Match & I did so little right that I should take up golf. The final straw was the final stage which I had figgered perfect except managed a "P" even tho shooting Trad 1911 the best all day.

Canby was right about the wind; if you didn't have to be out in it....

The WB stages so far are the most fun & fair that I've shot. WB is starting to mature & shooters are definitely stepping up there game...w/ varied results. I'm on Texas Jack Morrales (Bubba's) posse & Last Chance Morales has been giving everyone in modern a shootiing lesson. Watched Garrison Joe; Dragon Hill Dave and Samuel B Carpenter (Bandit) in Trad & so far GJ has been the most consistent. No idea how Crazy Kurt is doing but probably got the 1st day from what I heard.

Several gunsmiths now as Brisco Kid and Brad Finch are here to round out a pretty good field. Mosf spent th eve cleaning guns.

I shot a clean stage today! Yes! Whoo hooo....this WB match was a tough one for many. Targets were big; no memory contests..avg 20 pistol; 10 rifle; 6 s/g. I had 1 rifle miss; no s/g and 27 pistol misses shooting Traditonal (1 handed/ black frt & rear blade sights).

It was hot; windy; dusty and hot...and dusty...and windy. My favorite stage out of the 2days was the X stage while Texas Ghost favored the all pistol stage. Each and every one was memorable and well written. It's going to be close scoring.

Vendors are now setting up and the small camping is becoming a big white city of campers. Winds are supposed to die down but the temps are going up thru the weekend. Tomorrow is side match day and evening will be a pot luck party with opening ceremonies and margaritas at the new Hot Tamale stage.

Wish you were here. The brass bucket is 1/2 full.

Just got home from side matches. You won't see my name in the list of the winners. However, I did see Longhunter walking around, pushing a guncart and preparing to shoot. Nothing could give me more pleasure than this.

Side matches were fun, well-attended and the volunteers that ran them did a great job of keeping it all going in the hot NM sun. Winds died down and the gentle (comparatively)breeze was appreciated as the cool evening turned into a wonderful Opening Ceremony and dinner. Free drinks, great dogs & sides all hosted by the Wild Bunch and 1000 dogs cooked by the Dooley gang.

You owe it to yourself to come see this place erupt into good times, good spirits and good friends. None better than Hot Tamale and Hawkshaw Fred who served free margs to celebrate the all new Stage 14 sponsored by Hot Tamale.

Cowboy Clays favored me and Goatneck Clem who with Mica Maguire have a shootoff today for 1st place. The new clays range is worth the trip. Two Riga Tony says the 10 station is "the best" & was making another trip thru taking advantage of 1/2 price rates to SASS.

If you see Split Rail, tell him I'm expecting another World Championship out of him.

Noz...don't encourage Split Rail!! He's already fast enough! He's a great shooter and a fine gentleman. It's aggravating when a guy is so nice that you can't get mad when he whoops ya!

Four Bucks

I shot 1-4 today. Just before Tbone says that he had 4 / 20's...well I had 4 /20's but I'm reasonbly sure mine are different. Clean tho...me & Ghost we split the day 2/2. Nice to have someone else in Classic to run & gun & encourage. I thought I had him on another but a 4 shot dump made my left gun hand spastic & he got me by .04!

Watched Cobra & Rattlesnake go at it. Snake got him by 2 secs due to a s/g bobble that I couldn't see what happened. Jackaroo said it had been close all day but 'thought' Cobra had him til then. They're running no teen- low teen times!

Targets have been close fast & interesting. Plenty of changes w/ umpteen choices. Like- no instructions for 'make safe/ re-stage...take it/ leave it ....left/ right is so far for the shooter to decide.

Oh yeah....don't forget Classic Cowboy dinner is tonight. $10 @ Happy Jack's Saloon upstairs.

Oh yeah....don't forget Classic Cowboy dinner is tonight. $10 @ Happy Jack's Saloon upstairs.

Good report BK.

It's nice to have someone on the posse in your category to chase each other. But in a good way.

I know the first time there. Dewey and I chased and pushed each other. He got me that year. But there

was not anyone I would rather get beat by. But in the same time. I sure wanted to beat him.

Adds some fun into it while you are shooting.

Hey Noz, split Rail is doin great. We hav a great posse - Smokin Iron and Lassiter are runnin the posse. Last day and we shoot the late shift.

SUre have meet a lot of great shooters.Heard of some pretty fast times by some younger shooters. It will come out who and how at the end.

Interesting note, - no pullup ropes for any knockdowns - after each shooter - someone resets them. Moves the posse well.

Cheers,

OkD

Archived