SASS Wire Forum

Whats the call?

Dapper Dynamite Dick

I've seen this happen a couple of times in the last few months from 3 different shooters using Winchester Small Pistol primers. Shooter draws a hand gun engages first target no problem, switches to second target, pistol goes "click" and carrys on until all 5 pistol targets have been engaged. Then proceeds to "dry fire" the pistol 3 times as he has only counted 4 rds that discharged. RO wasn't counting and didn't notice that only 4 rds went downrange and tells him to holster and carry on.

Shooter reholsters pistol, finishes the stage then heads to the unloading table. At the unloading table, 1 round is ejected from a pistol that has had its primer been hit by the firing pin twice.

Whats the call? Can you consider it a "live round"?

If the round hasn't been fired reguardless of the number of times the primer has been hit, it is still a live round. one miss unless it's under the hammer then it's a stage DQ.

KK

Howdy Dick, the gun should have been grounded, then no matter what it's just a miss. However if holstered when he gets to the unloading table if that round is under the hammer SDQ. If not it's only a miss for the unfired round. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

On "supository" guns, 1st "click" no call, second "click" gun grounded. shooter gets misses for all rounds not fired. Hang fires or rounds that don't go off GROUNDED! Gun NOT re-hoslsered, goes directly to unloading table.( Shooter has no choice, RO CALL).... Bad primers in a no aliby match count as misses.

Stage DQ, ..........NO.

Knarley

Miss only, unless the "unfired" round is under the hammer. By the way, to save a clean match, the shooter CAN load another round from his body into that pistol, then fire it to save the miss. Then you for sure have a fired round under the hammer, so no call. The pistol does NOT have to be grounded.

It doesn't have to be grounded, but if you call a malfunction and ground it you won't get an SDQ if the live one ends up under the hammer, if you holster it and that happens you get the SDQ. Of course as you pointed out if you reload and fire you don't have to worry about a live one under the hammer, but I would ground it any way.

Don't even need PWB on this one, it's done.

Fillmore

It doesn't have to be grounded, but if you call a malfunction and ground it you won't get an SDQ if the live one ends up under the hammer, if you holster it and that happens you get the SDQ. Of course as you pointed out if you reload and fire you don't have to worry about a live one under the hammer, but I would ground it any way.

+1

I would not even go for the reload.

Would just ground it and move on and try not to waste anymore time.

On "supository" guns, 1st "click" no call, second "click" gun grounded. shooter gets misses for all rounds not fired. Hang fires or rounds that don't go off GROUNDED! Gun NOT re-hoslsered, goes directly to unloading table.( Shooter has no choice, RO CALL).... Bad primers in a no aliby match count as misses.

Stage DQ, ..........NO.

Knarley

Is there a rule somewhere that says gun has to be grounded?? Many times shooter knows his hammer is down on a fired round after a situation like this and just holsters pistols and takes it to unloading table to prove hammer is down on an empty piece of brass??? I recommend grounding the pistol but do not recall a specific rule requiring it.

+1 on grounding it...no since in taking the chance that the hammer is down on the live round....take the miss and move on unless you absolutely want a clean match...then do the reload.

Is there a rule somewhere that says gun has to be grounded?? ... I recommend grounding the pistol but do not recall a specific rule requiring it.

No Rule. Not required. A pard can always take the chance of winning a SDQ for holstering a revolver with a live round under the hammer. :lol:

Good luck with that bet. All downside, no upside. GJ

+1

I would not even go for the reload.

Would just ground it and move on and try not to waste anymore time.

+1 When pistol reloads were more "common" even with practice the fast shooter's would hit about the 3-4 second mark on average.......unless you have free-spin Rugers and really practiced you might have seen the 2's. But now I would think most of us are rusty since you rarely see them anymore and then add the time of searching for the round in there and most folks will loose much more than they will gain trying a reload under those conditions. Of course if it's for a CLEAN match some folks might go back to the guncart for an extra round to stay clean....to heck with the timer.........

No Rule. Not required. A pard can always take the chance of winning a SDQ for holstering a revolver with a live round under the hammer. :lol:

Good luck with that bet. All downside, no upside. GJ

Yep, I call it Russian Roulette..........but instead of living or dying it's just a SDQ or a miss......either way I still would pass on playing.

I've seen this happen a couple of times in the last few months from 3 different shooters using Winchester Small Pistol primers. Shooter draws a hand gun engages first target no problem, switches to second target, pistol goes "click" and carrys on until all 5 pistol targets have been engaged. Then proceeds to "dry fire" the pistol 3 times as he has only counted 4 rds that discharged. RO wasn't counting and didn't notice that only 4 rds went downrange and tells him to holster and carry on.

Shooter reholsters pistol, finishes the stage then heads to the unloading table. At the unloading table, 1 round is ejected from a pistol that has had its primer been hit by the firing pin twice.

Whats the call? Can you consider it a "live round"?

Yes, a round that's had the primer hit and didn't go off is still considered live. It's just a miss unless the shooter CHOOSES to holster the revolver AND that round is under the hammer. Then it's a miss AND a penalty for live round under the hammer.

Stage DQ, ..........NO.

Knarley

A shooter "should" ground or table a revolver that has a live round in it however it IS NOT the RO's call. If the shooter CHOOSES to holster and the 'live' round is under the hammer at the ULT.....sucks to be them.

Archived