SASS Wire Forum

Freedom of the press?

Texas Jim Henry, SASS #20616

Just came across this article. All I can say is that I am dumbfounded.

Newspaper story

Talk about violation of a right to privacy! Yes, it was "public information," but how would you feel if it were your name on that list?

Regards, TJH

Truthfully, I'd be shocked. As far as I know I have never been to either of those counties, nor have I ever made application for gun ownership. :rolleyes:

But seriously, why doesn't some local gun group do a public record search of everyone associated with that rag. They could then post any miss dealings they have had with law enforcement, any bad debts, and any other info that they more than likely would rather remain mum on. Just because something is available doesn't mean it is newsworthy, nor should it be spread among the public for general consumption.

This is the 2nd time these morons did this. They must think it is funny. When someone gets shot for trying to break in and steal a gun from the list of addresses lets see if the morons think that is funny. Buy that is the 1st ammendnent, and we all know we can't touch that!!! :angry: :angry:

All I can say is that if my name and address were on that published list I would cancel my subscription to the paper. If I owned a business I would cancel my advertising and deal strictly with local TV & radio. But I don't trust them either. I once did a TV news interview and the reporter edited the interview so it appeared that I said something that I did not. I no longer grant interviews with the press.

The residents of New York did this to themselves by allowing their legislators to pass a law allowing the press to publish their names and addresses. They were going to do the same here in Texas back in '94 when they were writing oure concealed handgun license law but there was such a public outcry that they dropped that clause from the law. A list is sent to the county sheriff of every licensee residing in their county. But that list is not available to the public.

The public has no need what-so-ever to know. What happened to an individual's right to privacy?

Tom

What they Fail to understand is when the Second is gone so are the rest including their precious First. Merry Christmas Sgt. Jake

You got that right Jake!!

A crook may be attracted to an armed target. If so, they are looking fior a fight and likely to find it. But, if your name is not on the list, you are an umarmed target and more likely unable or unwilling to fight. If you were a bad guy, what would you do?

A crook may be attracted to an armed target. If so, they are looking fior a fight and likely to find it. But, if your name is not on the list, you are an umarmed target and more likely unable or unwilling to fight. If you were a bad guy, what would you do?

Watch the house till the gun owner wasnt home and burglarize it hoping to pick up some guns.

They target empty houses all the time.

Watch the house till the gun owner wasnt home and burglarize it hoping to pick up some guns.

This is from another gun forum.

Well in the spirit of fair play, and equal rights here is the Jouralists info:

Sauce for the goose or, home address and phone number of Journal-News publisher

White Plains newspaper The Journal- News, a Gannett publication, has published the full name and address of every licensed pistol permit holder in three New York counties. I don’t know whether the Journal’s publisher Janet Hasson is a permit holder herself, but here’s how to find her to ask:

(UPDATE: Uh oh – InstaPundit’s linked here. Hundreds of thousands of readers; Janet, you have a great Christmas Eve)

Janet Hasson, publisher, Journal News

Janet Hasson, 3 Gate House Lane, Mamaroneck, NY 10534.

Phone number: (248) 594-2197; you might also try (914) 525-1923, but the area code is just a guess on the assumption that this number is a land line.

Here’s a photo showing her Mamaroneck house – interior shots are on Zillow:

3 Gate House Ln, Mamaroneck, NY 10543 - Zillow

Janet Hasson, 3 Gate House Rd, Mamaroneck

UPDATE: From reader RJS: Gannett’s CEO-

Gracia C Martore

728 Springvale Rd

Great Falls, VA 22066

(703) 759-5954

The reporter on the story is

Dwight R Worley

23006 139 Ave

Springfield Gardens, NY 11413 (718) 527-0832

Janet Hasson herself is married with one child, and her personal interests, as culled from her credit card records, are noted below:

http://christopherfountain.files.wor...ng?w=500&h=240

I live in very rural Western Pa, the hitching posts at the supermarket are not for show. Who has a gun is not news. What is news would be who doesn’t and if you want to find out what kind then break in. If I don't get you the neighbor will

Yup...

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

Banks are hard targets. Florist shops are not. Violent criminals would more likely target a bank, because "That's where the money is."

A home with a guns in it is a more desireable target because the guns are not just protection, they are loot.

This is fact. A gun in a house makes it a more likely target unless the thief has a reason to believe there is someone there to operate the gun. It is therefor very critical these days to have an adequate containment system(vault, safe..) and security system(electronic, canine....).

Printing everyone's name will only serve to spawn a movement for more privacy as relates to carry permits. But, showing a picture of his house complete with address, etc. is brilliant....payback is a b**ch. These rocket surgeons forget that they, too, are only humans complete with backgrounds, history, family and will probably have that sudden chilled feeling that comes with a realization of vulnerability.

It's too bad they can't publish the names and addresses of those with guns who don't have a permit (where one is required)! But then a majority of those folks probably obtained their guns illegally, on the street or such! In other words, this is just the reason we are so opposed to registration, permits (NOT CCW permits, just permits to own/buy guns). Gun laws simply don't affect the bad guys...only the honest, law-abiding citizens. :angry:

This is from another gun forum.

Well in the spirit of fair play, and equal rights here is the Jouralists info:

Sauce for the goose or, home address and phone number of Journal-News publisher

White Plains newspaper The Journal- News, a Gannett publication, has published the full name and address of every licensed pistol permit holder in three New York counties. I don’t know whether the Journal’s publisher Janet Hasson is a permit holder herself, but here’s how to find her to ask:

(UPDATE: Uh oh – InstaPundit’s linked here. Hundreds of thousands of readers; Janet, you have a great Christmas Eve)

Janet Hasson, publisher, Journal News

Janet Hasson, 3 Gate House Lane, Mamaroneck, NY 10534.

Phone number: (248) 594-2197; you might also try (914) 525-1923, but the area code is just a guess on the assumption that this number is a land line.

Here’s a photo showing her Mamaroneck house – interior shots are on Zillow:

3 Gate House Ln, Mamaroneck, NY 10543 - Zillow

Janet Hasson, 3 Gate House Rd, Mamaroneck

UPDATE: From reader RJS: Gannett’s CEO-

Gracia C Martore

728 Springvale Rd

Great Falls, VA 22066

(703) 759-5954

The reporter on the story is

Dwight R Worley

23006 139 Ave

Springfield Gardens, NY 11413 (718) 527-0832

Janet Hasson herself is married with one child, and her personal interests, as culled from her credit card records, are noted below:

http://christopherfountain.files.wor...ng?w=500&h=240

KK

That link for Ms Hasson's personal interests is a dead link. Too bad. Oh well, a nice, polite letter should be welcome.

Thanks,

Cat

Printing everyone's name will only serve to spawn a movement for more privacy as relates to carry permits. But, showing a picture of his house complete with address, etc. is brilliant....payback is a b**ch. These rocket surgeons forget that they, too, are only humans complete with backgrounds, history, family and will probably have that sudden chilled feeling that comes with a realization of vulnerability.

No Brother, they won't feel vulnerable because the police will show up any time now.

Archived