SASS Wire Forum

Rode the train from Durango to Silverton

Two Spurs

A vacation that was way too long in coming sent Sunny Spurs and I to Colorado to ride the narrow gauge train from Durango to Silverton. One word description: amazing. :excl:

Also went to the Strater Hotel Saloon (built in the late 1880's) to eat. Bar keep, saloon girls and piano player all dressed up- we were too in our CAS get-ups! People kept asking if we were a part of the thing and got lots of compliments and pictures taken :lol: It was great! First time for a Durango brewed wheat beer and was also good! :D

Went to Mesa Verde and toured the Pueblo Indian ruins. Fantastic.

If you get the chance to go don't pass it up.

Some mates & I visited Mesa Verde in '011 when we came over for EOT...we are however kicking ourselves for not taking the train ride, sounds like it is a 'hoot...hopefully I'II be back sometime in the future & correct my error !!

Glad you had a good time' Two Spurs..

Regards 'Painted Mohawk

My wife and I went to Antonito and took the train to Chama. Actually we took the bus to Chama and the train back. I think it was the first time my wife ever rode on a smoke belcher. She loved it. And so did I. That is some beautiful country down around Southern Colorado, New Mexico and I never did get to see anything in Texas except the Dallas airport. There was a huge range fire at the time just south of Dallas and the smoke was visible at the airport. So my vision of Texas is smoke and ... well smoke. I know that they have some nice folks down there because I went to school with some of them and they migrated to Texas. I have also met some of the other kind but I won't go into that. I guess they are all over, not just Texas.

I grew up near the railroad and as a kid I was always enthralled but the size and girth of those old steam engines. How they would huff and puff and make the ground shake when they moved. They WERE ALIVE.

I understand that the modern diesels are more efficent and can move more freight, but they do not have the soul of those fearsome steam monsters.

Yup, I've ridden the D&S twice and the Cumbres and Toltec once, loved them both! I think I actually liked the C&T better, as travels the high country rather than down in the canyon.

One funny little thing. One time riding the Silverton, there was a big bunch of man made beehives beside the track, and both times we passed the engineer hit the valve that blows steam about 100 feet on both sides at the beehives. Made me wonder if those bees got him at some point or he just didn't like bees. Mebbe it was just an ornery engineer!

JHC :lol:

Glad you had a great time. Its too bad that it has been so hazy/smokey from the western US fires. It is really a sight to see all the mts around Silverton and the San Jauns here. Been pretty ugy for the past week or 2.

Been up in that area every year from'75 -'83. It was on our way to Circle K camp near Dolores. Beautiful country!

GG

Circle K is about 25 miles up the road from my place. Nice place to camp and spend some time.

Circle K is about 25 miles up the road from my place. Nice place to camp and spend some time.

Right on Big Sage ~ you are blessed to live in such beautiful country ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Sounds like a great time!

Next time splurge and stay overnight in the Strater and enjoy their fine breakfast, too. We always have a good time in the Durango area, going to Mesa Verde & riding the train. Perhaps there should be a tour of Colorado CAS clubs and breweries. Go to a match, go to a brewerie, AFTER. Something to think about for next summer.

Colorado Cowboys in Lake George, and the Bierwerks in Woodland Park, first Saturday.

Who's next?

Salud!

eGG

Hotel at night

Durango bound

Our trip was a couple of years back (infact my photogrphy was still in 35mm) Had a blast and met Jack Elam at one of the saloons..

want to do it again.

curley

Next time splurge and stay overnight in the Strater and enjoy their fine breakfast, too. We always have a good time in the Durango area, going to Mesa Verde & riding the train. Perhaps there should be a tour of Colorado CAS clubs and breweries. Go to a match, go to a brewerie, AFTER. Something to think about for next summer.

Colorado Cowboys in Lake George, and the Bierwerks in Woodland Park, first Saturday.

Who's next?

Salud!

eGG

I think a smaller brewery would be better, but you could always try to get Pawnee Station involved, they aren't far from Budweiser. And if it doesn't have to be breweries, try the Thunder Mt. Shootists and one of the many wineries over in Palisade....I don't drink beer, but I'd be more than happy to sample the wine!

Well, it's okay. If ya like that sort of thing. ;)

A vacation that was way too long in coming sent Sunny Spurs and I to Colorado to ride the narrow gauge train from Durango to Silverton. One word description: amazing. :excl:

Also went to the Strater Hotel Saloon (built in the late 1880's) to eat. Bar keep, saloon girls and piano player all dressed up- we were too in our CAS get-ups! People kept asking if we were a part of the thing and got lots of compliments and pictures taken :lol: It was great! First time for a Durango brewed wheat beer and was also good! :D

Went to Mesa Verde and toured the Pueblo Indian ruins. Fantastic.

If you get the chance to go don't pass it up.

I bin thur several times and LOVE :wub: it. Bin thur in winter with a Xmas Tree planted in a bit pile of snow in the center of the main intersection :excl: And have rode the train.

. . some pictures . . .

When I was nine I lived in Silverton for a while. The best part of the train coming in for me was the gunfights they staged. All us kids used to harass the bad guys until they got shot. Looks like the cowboy shows stuck on me.

Yup, I've ridden the D&S twice and the Cumbres and Toltec once, loved them both! I think I actually liked the C&T better, as travels the high country rather than down in the canyon.

We really want to ride the Cumbres and Toltec as well. The brochure pics look outstanding. There is truly something really neat about being on one of the old trains. ^_^

Who's next?

Salud!

eGG

We splurged (for us anyway) at the General Palmer. Worth every penny. :D

I so want to do a CAS tour of that area. Would love to have a whole month- 2 different clubs one weekend, 2 more the next...... I'd probably be more busy if it wasn't for having to work to pay the bills! :lol:

Course sunglasses are handy for keeping most of the cinders outa you're eyes but can you imagine eating them on a long trip?

Speaking of polaroid glasses I looked down into the San Juan searching for trout or even a glimpse of trot. Nada!

Haven't gotten to ride it . . . but just visiting the train yard was great. :)

I so want to do a CAS tour of that area. Would love to have a whole month- 2 different clubs one weekend, 2 more the next...... I'd probably be more busy if it wasn't for having to work to pay the bills! :lol:

If you ever decide to spend some time down here in the 4 Corners area, PM me and I'll give you some specific information relating to the clubs and their shooting schedule and how to get to the ranges. We have 5 ranges and 4 SASS clubs within 75 miles of each other that shoot every weekend of the month. There are also 2 great annual shoots here too. If your RV or moteling,I can also help you out there. We have some pretty hospitable folks down here.

;):D

Archived