SASS Wire Forum

Home Ownership

Tonk Thimblerig

Saturday I spent what should have been a nice morning shooting with m' pards sitting at home watching my new water heater being installed. This little emergency project also made a very, very large dent in my "new gun fund".

I love owning my home, but sometimes it just screws up my really good plans. :(

Saturday I spent what should have been a nice morning shooting with m' pards sitting at home watching my new water heater being installed. This little emergency project also made a very, very large dent in my "new gun fund".

You may have heard: "Buy a house, live in a hardware store".;)

Sorry you missed the match.

Olen

Surely the hot water heater could have waited until another day!? Priorities, hombre, priorities!;)

eGG

New house??? Did it come with a warranty? Arounf here it is common to get a one year warranty on everything.

Na, afraid not. :( We've been here since '02, the house was built in '92. I guess that may have actually been a pretty good run for a water heater, so I won't complain too terribly much. Thing is, a local shooter has a nice 45-70 up for sale I like lots and lots that I can't afford now.

Years ago my water heater failed and a shooting buddy helped me replace it.

Got everthing hooked up and the darn thing leaked on the inlet side flange where we screwed in the pipe. Teflon tape would not fix it.

Necessitated a trip to the hardware store for a $18.00 pipe tap.

I was complaining about having to buy the tap for something that should have worked properly in the first place.

Shooting buddy reminded me the tap was cheaper than a plumber and using it was easier than draining the water heater boxiing it up and taking it back for a replacement.

He was right!!!

Ef Gato Gordo is She who must be obeyed is in residence at Tonk's place, waiting to get hot water one more day was probably not an option. It is possible that type rule only exists at Casa Blodgett but...

Yep, the joys of owning your own home: water heaters, corroded pipes, roofs, dry rot, crabgrass, sprinkler systems, dandelions, gophers (I have a cure for gophers), termites, dead trees and other plants, carpet replacements, A/C-furnace replacement, worn out garage doors, cracked pavement, etdangcetera.

35 years in this house as of yesterday and I wouldn't change much.

Tonk, sorry to hear the bad news, we will be shooting again the 28th. Come see us if you can, you are always more than welcome. Shaddai

Same thing happened to me in last fall. My wife came home on Friday afternoon to find a bunch of water in the garage. Of course things always break on the weekend or on a holiday. :angry: Since the plumber couldn't come until Monday, I had to skip a Saturday match to figure out how to install a water heater. At least I saved a bunch of money (from paying a plumber) and now know how to sweat copper pipe. :D

Na, afraid not. :( We've been here since '02, the house was built in '92. I guess that may have actually been a pretty good run for a water heater, so I won't complain too terribly much. Thing is, a local shooter has a nice 45-70 up for sale I like lots and lots that I can't afford now.

Go rig his water heater :)

I just replaced mine last Dec. I was from the 1950 the plumber said it cast feet and door on it. It had a heavy copper tank in it. I took the tank out and sold the copper at the scrap yard. Got enough to pay for an upgraded water heater and a 1000 rounds of 45's and dinner for me and the wife.

Take the old heater to the next match and put it in a stage. Might make you feel better if it had some real holes in it you could see.......

just sayin.....

TT

As we used to say in the real estate business (between aerospace jobs), "Anyone who owns their own home...deserves it!" :unsure::rolleyes: Over the winter, my bride of 45 years and I were just about to pack it in for the night (about 10:15PM) when the lights flickered and went out completely! Snowing to beat all...sideways! I go outside, thinking a breaker tripped, and all I can smell is burning phenolic! Called the fire department. They checked in the ceiling with their infrared. NO fire, thankfully! Meter's burned to a crisp, however. :o Called the utility company. They send a man out...over 12,000 people without power in places where the lines are above ground. Ours are NOT...about 12:30 AM, and he installs a temporary wire-around. Need a new meter, obviously. Call the insurance company. Get estimates. Electrician says about $1,200...have to bring things up to code. Insurance company says no problem...just pay your $500 deductable and we take care of the rest! :o Firemen and one electrician said the problem was due to the dirt settling and pulling the wires loose. Other electrician said, could be, but with all the moisture it could be the gasket around the meter box leaked (snowing sideways at the time). Insurance company went with the leak theory! Like I said..."Anyone who owns their own home deserves it!" :P That plus just sent in "my fair share" to Obama & Company, plus the State of Confusion tax. No new guns for awhile!

New HVAC last year... new roof a few months ago... big tree down in backyard... 30-year-old cedar fence needs replacing... main sewer drain needs replacing... foundation bows in summer, cracking walls & jamming doors...

And that's just the stuff I already know about!

Gotta go out & mow the weeds soon...

I bought my Home in Nov. '95 and moved in Jan '96. I bought a policy from American Home Shield for $562 a year. It covers all Appliances,Water Heater, Washer and Dryer, Refrigerator, Dishwasher, Garbage Disposal, Stove, Heater/Air Cond. Plumbing. Electrical.

Over the last 15-16 years I have had a New Water Heater installed, New Dishwasher, Garbage Disposal, Copper Plumbing whole house,

Heater/Air Cond. The Company sends out a Technician and looks at the problem. If it's covered, I pay $35 back then, now $45 deductible, and they pick up the TAB. It works for us. They did argue about the plumbing and after 3 Techs said they couldn't fix it without chasing leaks, they re-plumbed the house. Insurance is well worth it.

Big Jake

Could be worse, you could own a boat,too.

Bust Out Another Thousand

We've had that ins. from "99 on and let me tell you its well worth what we pay each year. Two weeks after we moved in. We had to replace the sewer line, a few weeks later had to replace the garage door, then the roof three years ago, and the water heater last year. And in jan. of this year the stove went out, have a nice one now. They got us a real nice Kenmore. I'm waiting for the floor heat to go out anytime.

What's the big Home Ownership thing anyway? You mean the money pit?

I bought my current house in 1987 for what was then a high, but very reasonable price in Lake Tahoe, not the cheapest real estate in the country by far,...i grinned for about 6 months until everyhting started breaking...25 years later, i have replaced every single thing in the house,inside,outside and structurally.Who's fooling who?

If i ever move, I'll rent.Home Equity means nothing after a certain point, not to mention it's an outdated concept now.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Allie:

I know what you mean about them old houses.

Our town was founded in 1865 (2 years before NE became a state).

Our house was built in 1896, but is not the oldest in town.

The old limestone house next to us was built in 1854.

MG

You know I had a whole lot more free money when I was renting than I do now. There's always something to worry about. When I rented if something was wrong the landlord took care of it. I had a great landlord he didn't raise my rent in 14 1/2 years all I had to do is pay the rent on time and take care of things. If something broke I would call whoever to fix it pay of the rent money and send him the receipt. It was great but my wives says you have to buy a house. Now I never seem to have any money to do anything like before. My monthly went from $525 to $2500 I don't see how this is better.before I was able to save now when I save it gets spent on the house now for us. Wish I can turn back the clock.😠

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Could be worse, you could own a boat,too.

thats like standing in a shower in leaky rain gear flushing 100 dollar bills down the toilet

Firemen and one electrician said the problem was due to the dirt settling and pulling the wires loose. Other electrician said, could be, but with all the moisture it could be the gasket around the meter box leaked (snowing sideways at the time). Insurance company went with the leak theory!o new guns for awhile!

I like your insurance adjusters. The firemen and the first electrician were correct. Meter bases do not have a gasket and unless you had blowing snow inside of the meter base that would accumulate in enough quantities to bridge the gap between the conductors with ice, the snow had nothing to do with it. Ground settling around the conduit feeding into the meter base is not that uncommon...had it at my house but I caught it in time and fixed it before we had any failure.

Glad you got it all fixed.

Archived