SASS Wire Forum

Who reloads .38 S&W?

German Jim

Anyone reload the .38 S&W cartridge?

Do you crimp it?

I have the LEE .38S&W die set, but they don't come with a crimping die. They'll make one for me for a price, but I'm wondering if there is a die that I could use instead of haveing one specially made?

I used to load these with a Lee 3-die set. Lee doesn't make an FCD for this cartridge. But you don't need a separate crimp die as the bullet seating & crimp are done with the same die. It takes a bit of fiddling, but it works very well and puts a nice crimp on the case

Lee .38 S&W die set

Believe you may have misread the materials with the dies.

If you have the carbide die set, Lee # 90569, the seater is also a crimp die.

Per Midway's description (look for the line I marked HERE'S THE CLUE):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set includes a Carbide Sizer Die, Powder Through Expander Die, Bullet Seater Die and a 2 year warranty. Reloading with carbide dies requires no sizing lube.

Technical Information

Material: Steel

Accessories:

Plastic Container

Shellholder

Powder dipper

Load data sheet

Notes:

Adjustable crimp from slight taper to full roll HERE'S THE CLUE!

This die set comes with a sizer die that is marked as 38 Auto. This is the correct sizer die for this die set and will work for either the 38 S&W or the 38 Auto

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check the die instruction sheet to find the directions for adjusting the crimp amount. Mine crimps well, and I need one since I load with BP in the .38 S&W.

Good luck, GJ

I reload .38 S&W with the Lee dies.

As others have said, the seater will also crimp.

I've actually got several loads that I use, and all of them work well. This is the ONLY caliber that I have developed more than one load for, and it is one of my favorite calibers, period. I greatly wish there was a main match rifle chambered for it. Alas, no such thing exists.

And, for what it's worth, betterbullets.com has a proper .360" bullet for use in this caliber.

Good luck!

Two bits: I load BP loads for my 38 S&W pockets, and the LEE die seems to work well.

My method of setting the seat/crimp die for Lee dies and lead bullets:

- with empty case, fully raise the case into the press

- screw the seat/crimp die down until it touches the brass

- lower the ram and turn the die another 1/3 turn

- lock in place with the die nut

- adjust the seating insert of the seating die

This mostly matches the Lee directions but adds a bit more crimp for better combustion of BP and lower pressure loads.

A good crimp will make your loads burn more efficiently. The seating die on your Lee set should also be a crimp die. You can seat and crimp in one stroke of the handle or, seat wirh the die backed out just a bit and then back out the seating stem and crimp on the second run. Up to you.

Proper bullet diameter is 360-361 however, some S&W revolvers made have 358-59 bores. Doesn't matter if you use the smaller bullets in bigger bore or vice-versa, both will work. I've always used 358-59 bullets. The HBWC will be seated out of course because the S&W case is so short but the hollow base expands and fills the bore on those 361 bores to give good accuracy. This was the very first load I used when I loaded for my first revolver, a Webley.

Anyone have a source for loaded cartridges cheaper than the prohibitively expensive Rem&Win factory loads? $40 a box is too steep for this child.

\

$40 a box is actually a bit low from what I have seen of late.

HOWEVER, my suggestion would be to haunt the gun shops and look at their shelves with a careful eye. If you see any boxes the "look old" chances are that they have been sitting on the shelf for a long time and have an old price on them.

I've had this happen to me several times. I was in one shop not to long ago, and got a box for $15. The owner said to me, "Wow, how long has this been sitting here?" When he got some more in, it was his last box, the price had jumped to $45.00 each.

Another thing to keep in mind, the nickle Winchster brass bulges if you try to load a .360 bullet in it to the point where they will not chamber. (This does not happen with the Remmington stuff) As such, this is why I developed multiple loads. With the Win brass I use .358 hollow base bullets.

I too use the LEE dies. I first loaded BP but my S&W Single Action 2nd Model didn't like the repeated firing (fouling). I use a RAPINE 148gn. hollow base soft lead bullet. I'm still working on a nice load. My latest is 1.6gn. of HP38 that I'll test this weekend. The brass I use has no headstamp. From what I was told, they were used as primer holders in land mines or grenades.

What gun do you have??

Good luck

TF

I too use the LEE dies. I first loaded BP but my S&W Single Action 2nd Model didn't like the repeated firing (fouling). I use a RAPINE 148gn. hollow base soft lead bullet. I'm still working on a nice load. My latest is 1.6gn. of HP38 that I'll test this weekend. The brass I use has no headstamp. From what I was told, they were used as primer holders in land mines or grenades.

What gun do you have??

Good luck

TF

I have several guns in this caliber.

In no particular order they are...

Webley Mark IV (Everyone who shoots this caliber should, IMO, have a Webley Mark IV. They are probably one of the strongest guns ever chambered for this caliber, and make a great safe test bed when working up new loads. I use a very simple method. If the recoil seems to be more than Remington Factory in a particular loading, I will not allow said loads to be used in ANY other gun.)

Iver Johnson Topbreak with target grips

Merwin & Hulbert spur trigger 5 shot. (This is a sweet old gun, but silenced by a broken fireing pin. I really wanna get it fixed.)

American Bulldog 6 shot DA Revolver. Fired this only a few times. My Dad decided one day to take it apart, and now it's in pieces in the drawer of his/my reloading bench. Some of the pins and other small parts have sadly vanished. Including the grips!

2 Uberti made '58 Remmingtons with Krist Konverters that I occasionally use as main match revolvers.

I also run this cartrige through my Colt 1877 Lighting, using hollow based bullets.

If anyone wants, I'll send them my loads. In fact, I am gonna do some test shooting and chronoing tomorrow, just for the heck of it.

I used to load these with a Lee 3-die set. Lee doesn't make an FCD for this cartridge. But you don't need a separate crimp die as the bullet seating & crimp are done with the same die. It takes a bit of fiddling, but it works very well and puts a nice crimp on the case

Lee .38 S&W die set

+1 :blink:

I use a 9mm seating die to seat and crimp. Also use a 9 mm flare die. Use a 357 sizer to neck size and screw the decapping stem way down. I use 358 bullets and shoot them with a very mild load of Trail Boss in an original S+W. Most of the side shoots are usually at table top distances and this load is accurate enough for that.

I use the Lee 3 die set and they work great. Mine do add the roll crimp. The instructions that came with the dies also had some recommended load data which I have used with a 125 grain lead bullet. They have worked great in my S&W pocket pistol.

I used to load .38 S&W in the 80's and used a 9MM parabellum taper crimp die for the final crimp.

What gun do you have??

Good luck

TF

BTW, the 1.6gn load was GREAT. Very little recoil. Even hit a coffee can at 25 yards

Archived