SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter Question

Guest diablo slim shootist

Guest diablo slim shootist

I shoot gunfighter on occasion and have always alternated shooting

the right and left side for each shot.Here lately I have started double cocking

and It seems to work better for me.The question is "do I have to alternate

during a sweep?Or can I double tap with one Gun(shoot rt or left twice in a row with

out causing a P or SDQ". :unsure: Thanks Diablo

Howdy Slim,

I mostly shoot gunfighter using the alternating cocking method but have toyed with the dbl. cocking method from time to time. I espescially like double cocking on large 10 shot dumb targets. But alas, old habits (8 yrs.)are hard to break and I usually stay with the alt. cocking method. We are fortunate in the area to have many gunfighters and the cocking method is split about 50 / 50. I find it more difficult to keep up with the number of shoots fired with dbl. cocking method. Makes no difference as to pistol order just target sequence. Whichever method you employ, glad your a gunfighter. Shoot straight and ring that steel.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Thanks Keystone ...I keep working on it(Gunfighter)Its not faster its funner!

That's how it's been for me - I beleive my times are a little slower than shooting double duelist, but it's definately more fun shooting the way of the gunfighter...I know in time (and PRACTICE) that I will get faster with them pistolas :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I believe there are advantages and disadvantages to each method. Sometimes it depends on the shooting order, sometimes the distance. Shooting pairs does take more initially to get it down smoothly and efficiently but changing leads is easier and there is potentially less gun swinging.

I prefer to alternate on small or distant targets because I can't get both sights on the target at the same time, whereas on multiple taps at regular size and distance I much prefer shooting pairs.

You may want to take into account that I am left eye dominant, right handed so I had to learn early on to shoot right handed. Now I keep both eyes open and can see both sights at the same time when shooting pairs. For most folks with a strongly dominant eye alternating is preferable.

Doc Nelson

I can offer no advice as to technique, but as far as the rule:

• “Gunfighter Style” is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand. Revolvers must be

cocked and fired one handed, unsupported, one right handed and the other left handed.

There is no set pattern as to how the revolvers are to be fired, but alternating revolvers is

clearly the most efficient.

Page 14

You will find that an ocassional double tap with the left or right pistol is helpful in eliminating the constant crossing over of pistols. It's commonly called changing leads.

KK

PS: I alternate and find it difficult to change to double cocking.

I normally double cock as the guns come out of the holsters, after that, alternate. Been doing it so long that double cocking is almost impossible for me. I quit double cocking years ago when I wound up finishing a five shot string and had to move. Still had one gun cocked. Instant "P." Haven't done it since.

Coffinmaker

I normally double cock as the guns come out of the holsters, after that, alternate. Been doing it so long that double cocking is almost impossible for me. I quit double cocking years ago when I wound up finishing a five shot string and had to move. Still had one gun cocked. Instant "P." Haven't done it since.

Coffinmaker

Isn't that a MSV? - changing locations with a cocked gun?

Isn't that a MSV? - changing locations with a cocked gun?

Gunner. If he did in fact move with it cocked it would be a SDQ. If he decocked it to avoid a penalty it would be a SDQ. If he fired it and then moved he would incurr a P and depending on what he shot or shot at he might have a miss as well.. That's how I see it.

KK

Gunner. If he did in fact move with it cocked it would be a SDQ. If he decocked it to avoid a penalty it would be a SDQ. If he fired it and then moved he would incurr a P and depending on what he shot or shot at he might have a miss as well.. That's how I see it.

KK

Thanks KK - yup...took a peek at the RO I handbook just now and page 26 dictates what you say...if in fact he moved....

I think it's time I take an RO course :D

Coffinmaker

This IS quicker! (double-cocking at the draw). Shoot & cock or cock & shoot is faster than double cocking. Shoot & cock (Shooting one whilst cocking the next one) will also get you into trouble on those shoot five and move stages. Ain't no foolproof method for a brainfade like that.

Now, for the OP; shooting GUNFIGHTER is the funnest thing you will ever do. Ain't many people can do it and watching someone that's really good is.....wow. Here's some basic terms;

Crossover: When alternating, the next target to be shot is to the right but the "next" gun for you is on the LEFT so you have to swing a little wider to bring that one to bear.

Chnging Leads: You start with the right revolver but in the middle of the string, it becomes more efficient to switch in the middle IE; L-R-L-R-L-L-R-L-R-R

I shall attempt to illistrate; Get you four paper plates or similar, put'em up on the wall like targets. P1-P2-P3-P4. Get your finger gun out (finger, not gun) your left fist is your left gun, right fist.... Continuous Nevada sweep from the LEFT. Makes sense to shoot it starting with the LEFT P1LEFT, P2RIGHT, P3LEFT, P4RIGHT...lookie here, the next gun (left) is already on the next target which is P3 but when you get to P2 there's a bit of a crossover but there's no reason to change leads, will cost you time if you do rather than save it. In fact, a four plate continuous sweep is just perfect for learning GF.

If you shoot the above sweep starting on the RIGHT, makes sense to start with the RIGHT revolver.

Now imagine a five plate outside-outside-inside-inside-center sweep for ten rounds. If it's written like shoot it twice and no direction isd specified, most GF's will shoot it one way the first five and then from the OTHER side the second five because that's the way they shoot their guns. Try it. Stick a finger out every time you fire, starting with the right target and the right revolver, outside (RIGHT) outside (LEFT) inside (RIGHT) and so on. When you're done with five, you'll have three fingers out on the right, two on the left. If you start the sweep on the right again, you'll have a BIG crossover at the end. (shoot your finger guns, you'll see why. Now, think of the Nevada sweep above. Little crossover, doesn't gain much to switch leads but with the O-O-I-I-C It do! Most GF's will shoot it one way the first time, the other way the second time OR, if it's one of those start on the right/left both times will shot the last two rounds from the same gun because they changed leads because if you don't do that, there's aa BIG crossover. (try your fingergun and you'll see)

GF's look at stages differently because they shoot differently. For us it's a string of ten, not five. If it's a split revolver stage then....

Transitions. a GF has both hands occupied with revolvers. Can't be reaching for a long gun until you put them things away. Think about how you deal.

Ever wonder why a lot of GF's have their holsters sort of close together in front? For some, dealing with ONE holster on a hip is easy. Dealing with TWO AT THE SAME TIME; well, I don't bend that way no more. Besides, when I holster, I can't see BOTH revolvers. If they're a bit closer together, I can. Always look them into the holster. (And don't let go until you're SURE they're in. Don't ask me how I know that)

Alot of good info posted above.

There are some great Gunfighters down in Texas and I'm sure you can find a few to watch using different styles. Get with some of them, pack a sack full of ammo, and have fun for a day learning more about GF styles of shooting.

Best regards

..........Widder

Very good explanation Don.

I'll add the following, remember that crossing over is lost time. So is switching leads and double cocking. So try to learn to use whatever will be fastest or best on the scenario you are shooting at that time.

Even though starting with my right pistol is nearly always best for me, I try not to get too stuck on starting with the right. Sometimes a scenario will flow much better if I start with my left.

Possum

I have a more basic question. When I shoot weak-hand, I use my weak eye. I've been doing some dry-fire gunfighter practice, and when switching back and forth it sometimes takes a few seconds for that weak eye to focus.

Do most gunfighters switch eyes, or just use their dominant eye?

I don't like to spot for double cockers. When one comes up I pass the spotter stick to someone else.

I have a more basic question. When I shoot weak-hand, I use my weak eye. I've been doing some dry-fire gunfighter practice, and when switching back and forth it sometimes takes a few seconds for that weak eye to focus.

Dominant eye, just bring the off hand gun in front if the dominant eye. Yer sorta doing a back and forth pumping motion as you cock so it becomes natural. I coudn't imagine trying to shoot with my weak eye. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r:

I'm new to this sport so I can't tell you how the greats of sass do it. However, I've been shooting two handguns for many years. Fron my experience it all depends on your eyesight and the training you have done. If it takes a while to get focused in with your weak eye, it would be faster for you to only use your dominant eye. You can teah your weak eye to focus faster. For me I use both eyes when I actually use my sights. Mostly I shoot instinctively. Itsjust what works for me

I use the dominant eye only for gunfighter. Try to keep the guns relatively close together so the switch between guns is relatively quick. I double cock if that makes any difference....

I shot double duelist for many years and always shot the left gun with the left eye and the right gun with the right eye. That did not work too well when I started this gunfighter thing - dominant eye only is quickest for me anyway.

Hey Old Scatterbrain,

I've been shooting Gunfighter for two years. An old Cowboy taught me to shoot with both eyes open. I'm glad he did because I couldn't imagine shooting Gunfighter with one eye closed. Just seems to be simpler for me! Macinaw

Hey Old Scatterbrain,

I've been shooting Gunfighter for two years. An old Cowboy taught me to shoot with both eyes open. I'm glad he did because I couldn't imagine shooting Gunfighter with one eye closed. Just seems to be simpler for me! Macinaw

Ditto!

Hey Old Scatterbrain,

I always shoot handguns with both eyes open, but which eyes do you sight with? Do you use your dominant eye for both guns, or do you use your weak eye for the weak-side gun?

I agree with what PS said about experiment and find out what works for you. Don't get hung up on always doing it one way.....be flexible. Most of us will double cock coming out of the holster and then either alternate or continue to double cock. Just have some fun with it. If you practice different techniques while dry firing you can learn to switch leads practice split pistols, etc.

By the way I use my dominant eye for both.

KK

Hey KK,

I thought Kay had the dominant eye and she kept it on you 24 / 7 / 365.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

.....and they said your wern't a smart man....or was that Forrest....lol.

Archived