SASS Wire Forum

I NEED HELP

I will try to make this short.

An acquaintance(someone I have done leatherwork for) had a wreck due to some mental problem and two weeks later tried to commit suicide on his motorcycle. He is 76 years old folks. He is not a kid anymore. We are not close friends. I had a small project in house and he came over to pick it up and he told me all his problems so I listened and tried to be as kind as I could. And I was until he got to the part where he admitted that he tried to kill himself on the motorcycle and well I told him how I felt about that.

That was last week. Tonight he called me talking about (in a round about way) about suicide again. Listen folks, I am not a doctor and neither am I trained in handling anything like this. I don't dare share this with Miss Carol because she has enough problems of her own,especially fighting high blood pressure. I did tell him he needed professional help, which he ignored. He is coming over Friday morning to bring me 2000 rds. of 45 LC ammo to sell for him. Problem is---he carries a gun all the time. He is a retired private detective. He has a carry permit. He is legal in the eyes of the law.

I need some advice here. Only my friends in the Saloon will know the answers to this one.

Cherokee(Worried stiff in Georgia)Charlie

The first thing you must think about is your own protection and those that may be in the house with you. I would not let anyone into my house under the circumstances you laid out. If yo must meet with this man on Friday, call him and agree to meet in a public place to exchange the ammo. If he is not agreeable to counseling or talking to a pastor your options are limited. I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Wow, CC..

I don't have much more to add that hasn't already been said. Watch your back, be careful and keep a cool head.

All the advice given is the best steps to take. First, I would alert your local LEOs and make them aware.

Be careful, friend. and remember, protect yourself and your family in anyway you can.

Give me a call if you need to talk...and give me a call when it is over with (how ever it goes) I'd like to know you and Miss Carol are safe.

~EE Taft~

I guess the fact that he's buying 2,000 rounds of ammo is a good sign. However, I agree with Paladin. Also, you might try to find the number of a local mental health agency to pass along to him.

HUH? You need to re-read the post.

HE'S SELLING 2K rnds ;)

If he was buying that much ammo. That would scare the c'hit out of me with the mental state he's in now :o

Respectfully,

LG

Chances are the local authorities already know about him and his situation. I would definitely NOT meet him at your home to accept the ammo. I would set up a place after you call the local authorities. He needs help, you know that, and if he does not want it ya hafta do what ya can to be INSURE he gets the help he needs whether he wants it or not. Ya gotta protect those that may be in the midst of his attempt....

Good Luck, and be prepared for the worst, and work for the best....

JJJ-D

Chances are the local authorities already know about him and his situation. I would definitely NOT meet him at your home to accept the ammo. I would set up a place after you call the local authorities. He needs help, you know that, and if he does not want it ya hafta do what ya can to be INSURE he gets the help he needs whether he wants it or not. Ya gotta protect those that may be in the midst of his attempt....

Good Luck, and be prepared for the worst, and work for the best....

JJJ-D

Great advice!

+1

I worked for 43 years in the Psychiatric field. Suicide attempts are scarey. Some times it is just a "call for help", attempts by these persons are half hearted.

others the attempt is real and means they are done trying to cope with lifes issues.

It is very difficult to tell the difference, even as a trained professional.So one must proceed as if it is a sincere effort.

One thing to keep in mind, is if the LEOs are notified, and the person is 5150'd as a danger to self and/or others, first thing they do is to notify the DOJ. and usually will lose their right to own firearms. (I had a LEO check himself into my psych hospital and when they handed him a copy of the DOJ notice, he had to spend the next 4-5 hours trying to undo it as if he lost his firearms right he would be outta a job. He did manage to reverse the situation.)

if ya had any questions, drop me a emule and I can offer any help I can.

good luck and prayers up

curley

Charlie,

Just from the 3 or 4 years we've electronically communicated I've noticed what a kind and caring person you are, and I'd guess your friend feels the same way. At this point in his life you may be the only trusted source he has, and while involving the authorities might be the right option, it will involve some painful events out of his control. Don't feel like you're unqualified to talk to him, quite the opposite is true. Tell him why you haven't committed suicide and the methods you used for coping over the years. A calm friendly voice will speak volumes to him as you mention that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. God's wisdom be with you!

Your friend............BSD

Try to meet him in an open public place. If he is carrying, ask to see his gun and unload it, if loaded. Then take or buy all of the ammo he has. The gun won't do him much good without ammo.

I think you have received great advice from everyone. If you truly feel that he is a danger to himself and to others I would notify or get advice from an LEO. He has the history which he confided to you. Those would give me reason to notify an LEO. He could also be suffering Alzheimer. Suicide attempts, Alzheimer and guns are not a combination.

1) Notify LEO

2) Meet in public or make an excuse not to meet

3) Pray that all will be well

Good luck.

If you do nothing, you have failed him as a friend. Make the call.

Great advice from all of you. I knew there would be enough of the "right stuff" out there for me to use as a guideline. UB I think you said it all.

"If you do nothing, you have failed him as a friend."

He is really not a friend but if he came to me seeking help then he became my friend and I am compelled to help.

Thank you all for your responses. You have been a comfort and a big help to me. I will use your advice to the best of my ability. I will keep you posted. It might be a couple of days.

Good luck with it, Pard.

Prayers for you and him.

Be careful, and keep us posted.

~EE Taft~

I had a friend of mine develop a brain tumor. It wasn't malignant but it was putting pressure on the brain and causing him to lose his mind. He became.....violent. He was never a violent person, almost seemed scared of it. But as the tumor grew so did his violence. One day I went over to help him move some boxes, when I arrived he was out pacing in the yard and muttering about something. I called out to him and he threw a knife at me then chased me back to my car. I sped off as fast as I could. He's had the tumor removed and he's back to normal now, but I'm still leery about visiting him. I was lucky that he can't throw to save his life.

Above all else you need to be careful. He may be self destructive but you never know if he'll decide to take you down with him. Listen to all of the advise from above. It is good advice.

Many years ago I had a pal who was in love with a gal who I guess was not in love with him. she aborted their baby and he tried to take his own life. He tried to drive his car off a cliff. I meet him a year after that had happened.. He was still in love with her and again the same thing, she was going to have his baby. And again she was going to abort the poor little baby. He called me and told me he was going to take his life. I took a couple of college classes in high school or three.. lol.. and one was psych. So I KNEW all the anwers. He told me he was going to take his life that night. I did not call the police , cuz per my class people who talk about it never do it. He took his own life that night in the back of his car with a hose hooked up to the exhaust. .. and I spend 6 hours our on country roads looking for him with a friend. I would have never thought he would do it on Wheeler Rd. one of our favorite places to talk about her and him and life and music. You never know what someone who is troubled will do.

Protect yourself like the pros on this board are saying. They do know what to expect.. me.. I still believe in fantasy.. lol.. And it has cost me a pal.. and a lot of stuff.. Listen to them please..

I had a friend who was bi-polar. At first, I didn't know it cause he always took his meds.

Then he started going off his meds, and drinking. He was committed and then released, and still didn't take his meds.

He asked me to take him to the range and let him shoot my guns.

When I refused, he got upset. I had to cut him loose. Sad but true. :angry::ph34r:

Good advice again from the saloon pards, I would notify the law also. I'm sure they have someone who is trained and educated in this area. Above all, protect yourself! You owe no one but yourself and family. Good luck, Rye

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

In the past... I have found that suicidal individuals that openly announce their intensions... are indirectly "askin" for help. If some innocent, third-party was to get hurt... you will have wished you made the call.

ts

Years ago, I was dispatched to a call that came in as a noise complaint, ended up being a 19yr old girl that was despondant over being ordered home from College by her family. She ranted and raved while her boyfriend tried to calm her down.

As we both stood there, she ran to the kitchen and grabbed a butcher knife, putting it to her wrist. As I approached, she swung the knife at my face. Luckliy, I blocked the knife with my hand and wrist (22 stitches) and was able to get it away from her.

Moral of the story, people in that state of mind are unstable and, can easily hurt others when not in their right mind.

Call the authorities and let them handle the situation. Better that he lose his carry rights than he snap and hurt someone else in the throes of madness. That is something that you do not want to bear.

-Lefty

Charlie.... Be careful. I have seen you try to run and that would not have a good outcome. I woud suggest talking to Badlands Bob and/or Done Gone and follow their advise.

Hoping for a favorable outcome.

McKenzie

Charlie - tried to send ya a PM, but it says you aren't accepting any new messages?

As a retired LEO, I advise that you contact your local Police or Sheriff's Department. Let them talk to him and make the determination whether he should be taken in for an involuntary Admission based on his communicating his intentions to commit suicide. His CCW is secondary to his well being. I'd rather feel guilty about somebody losing their gun carry priviledges than their life.

I have taken quite a few in for help. Even a few Coppers. We weren't immune from depression and Police Officers have the second highest suicide rate in the country, second only to Dentists. If they can get him to sign himself in for treatment, even as an outpatient, he will be protected by HIIPA Laws. Finishing his treatment will restore his firearms rights.

OK, As usual, I'm a day late.

Georgia has had some strange rulings lately concerning suicidal threats. Several years ago, if someone threatened suicide, we just loaded them up and took them to the hospital for an involuntary 72 hour evaluation by Mental Health people. Recently however, unless the person commits a crime that we can "arrest" for, all we can do is just talk to them, notify family or clergy. At the end of the day, we write a report and leave. Yes, that sounds crazy to me too but it's not against Georgia law to commit or threaten suicide. Without a court order, our hands have been tied.

The best procedure is to get them to voluntarily go to the hospital to seek treatment. That's the best outcome. The other way is to get two adults who are personally familiar with him and have observed the person's behavior/actions in the last couple of days and give sworn testimony before the Probate Court judge. (Monday thru Friday) The Probate Court can issue an order to have the person involuntarily committed for the 72 hour evaluation. A medical doctor can also sign an order for the evaluation but the doctor has to have evaluated them in person.

This is a problem law enforcement and EMS have to deal with fairly often. I'd recommend getting in touch with a member of his family and make sure they know what's going on. It might spur them into taking some action.

If you have any further questions, you've got my number.

Badlands Bob

I would advise the police about the issue at hand .

And maybe you can find a son or daughter or other family member and advise them of the issue .

Good luck and prayer up for the man he is sick and needs prayers .

This day is about to end by my standards and I have not heard from the gentleman. Is this a good or a bad sign? It is a relief for me. I hope nothing has happened to him but I hope he has sought help professionally.

Yes, I have a good friend on standby just in case he calls. Tomorrow I have a shoot to run.

Archived