SASS Wire Forum

Improving transitions

Shooting Bull

Since you know I don't participate in the dreaded "P" word, I'll ask this on behalf of a friend of mine. ;)

This friend has gotten to the point where he shoots his guns about as fast as they can be shot. For that reason he feels the area for greatest improvement is now transitions. As the cliche goes, "Practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect." So, what is perfect practice for improving transitions? Got any good drills? Got any good ways to "see" what you're doing wrong and/or what transition needs the most work?

I have a couple of pardners who are world champs watch me shoot, then point out areas to work on. Then I come home set up a couple of tables with some targets on the wall and practice. Typically I use stages from upcoming matches, that way I get a two for one, better transitions and familiarity with the stages for my next match. I try to do the transitions a little faster than the actual dry firing. I've found I get a little sloppy on my sight pictures if I dry fire too fast. For a relatively new shooter that has been working fairly well. Of course shooting matches almost every weekend doesn't hurt either.

One thing I've found interesting is the different POV. One person focuses on the mechanics of putting a gun down while simultaneously picking up another. Another focuses on footwork and speed between stations. Another on mental attitude and visualizations. Put it all together and I'm lucky to be shooting with these guys.

I think that the first thing that you need to do is to find someone to show you the correct way of doing things. I was lucky enough to have Deadly Headlee work with me after set-up one day. In one hour, he was able to show me things that I wasn't doing in the most efficient manner and show me better ways to do them. It gave me specific things to work on in practice. Prior to that, I was just practicing the wrong things which ultimately made it harder to re-learn those skills.

(Have your friend) video (their) shooting. This is a great way to see whats slowing the transition process. review and try for improvement. Video agian and watch for progress. Whatever motions look dorky or slow are places for improvement.

Cash

In addition to what's been said above.

Incidentally, this is a good drill to video for later analysis. The one shot drill (dry fire). Make sure all guns are empty and all shotshells are inert!

Holster both revolvers. Stage rifle and shotgun appropriately. Pick a target. At beep:

- draw revolver, acquire sight picture, break shot

- while holstering draw other revolver, acquire sight picture, break shot

- while holstering shoulder rifle, acquire sight picture, break shot

- while restaging shoulder shotgun, feed, acquire sight picture, break shot

Now change the gun order and do it again.

Change the gun order and do it again.

etc.

Now turn off all the lights and do it in the dark, using visualization techniques for acquiring sight picture.

-----------

Both hands busy! When this is mastered, we'll go on to the next lesson.

An interesting method that takes two shooters. TBone and Nutin Graceful train together. One stands behind the other and if the shooter has a hand that is not working at anytime it gets smacked with a flyswatter.

Negative reinforcement that obviously works.

Whole thing boils down to keeping both hands busy ALL the time. Keep your main focus on the front sight and break the shot when it covers steel.

I suggest your friend get the Evil Roy DVD on gun handling and watch it several times. :)

Got the whole set. ;)

I've also read Doc Shapiro's book so many times the pages are starting to get worn.

Uhhhhhh, not ME of course. I'm talking about my friend. B)

Incidentally, this is a good drill to video for later analysis. The one shot drill (dry fire). Make sure all guns are empty and all shotshells are inert!

Holster both revolvers. Stage rifle and shotgun appropriately. Pick a target. At beep:

etc.

Now turn off all the lights and do it in the dark, using visualization techniques for acquiring sight picture.

-----------

Dang, that's what I've been doing....less the turn out the lights part.....and you know I'm gonna try that next! :)

I can't wait to hear the comments afterwards....."What ARE you doin' in here with the lights off?" :lol:

Chick

It's good to watch the Evil Roy videos. It's good to have video of the shooter. A decent or better shooter will pick up problems that would not be apparent otherwise. What a shooter needs most is a friend who is capable to mentoring them.

etc.

-----------

At what speed should all this be done?

All I have is Mathew Duncan.....

KK

If you have T-Bone and Nuttin to teach you, your one lucky hombre.

Just what they taught us in 4 hours at the US Open 2011 class they put on was worth the price of admission.

OK, so they put on the class at NO additional fee. Can't beat that with a stick.

Great class, great instrutors, just great cowboys to ride the river with.

That's my story and I'm stickin with it.

See yall at CAC.

Happy Trails, Coyote Kid

I'll have Spence check me out next time he's here. :P

Fillmore

If you have T-Bone and Nuttin to teach you, your one lucky hombre.

Just what they taught us in 4 hours at the US Open 2011 class they put on was worth the price of admission.

OK, so they put on the class at NO additional fee. Can't beat that with a stick.

Great class, great instrutors, just great cowboys to ride the river with.

That's my story and I'm stickin with it.

See yall at CAC.

Happy Trails, Coyote Kid

Jus' because they drill everything into my head doesn't mean it stays there :blink::wacko:

I can teach you how to do it right...doesn't mean I always do it right <_<

At what speed should all this be done?

Start slow and go faster and faster until you're on the verge of falling apart. Then take a break and do it all again an hour later. The trick is to know which things you can do as fast as you can move and which things have to be controlled. That's the next lesson blink.gif

Alright, that's the second time someone has mentioned eyes being closed, what is being worked on there? Evil Roy emphasizes that you should look at everything as you're doing it. Look your pistols into holsters, look at long guns as you're reaching for them, etc. What has me confused is; if both hands are supposed to be working doing different things at the same time, how can you look at them both at the same time? Is that the purpose of the closed eye drills, so you DON'T have to look at what you're doing?

Jus' because they drill everything into my head doesn't mean it stays there :blink::wacko:

I can teach you how to do it right...doesn't mean I always do it right <_<

Yep. It sure don't all rub off on me. But they have still helped me a whole lot.

Transistions is the reason Nuttin can make the top 10 overall shooting Duelist, at EOT and WR.

Alright, that's the second time someone has mentioned eyes being closed, what is being worked on there? Evil Roy emphasizes that you should look at everything as you're doing it. Look your pistols into holsters, look at long guns as you're reaching for them, etc. What has me confused is; if both hands are supposed to be working doing different things at the same time, how can you look at them both at the same time? Is that the purpose of the closed eye drills, so you DON'T have to look at what you're doing?

To be honest, there are a few things that I disagree with Evil Roy on. One of them is to watch the pistols into the holsters. One of the benefits to placing your holsters in exactly the same place every time is to that you can look at the target and watch for the sights as they come into view. Watching the gun into the holsters ends up taking more time and you lose both the target and your sights. That said, it works well for some and it obviously works very well for Evil Roy.

That is exactly the purpose of doing the drill with the lights off. However your eyes should be open. Closing your eyes introduces tension into your facial muscles which hinders sighting. The other reason for doing it with the lights off is consistency. If you stage your guns exactly the same way every time, it makes it easier to pickup and replace guns as they are needed.

The more consistent you are, the easier it is to perform your transitions smoothly. Smooth is fast!

One of the interesting things about this game is that not everyone performs the same motions. We're all built differently and have to work within our bodies capabilities and strengths.

A couple of top shooters I know run comparative drills on different types of transitions.

They time one way 10 times, say going from last shot from a pistol to first shot from a tabled rifle. Then they change how they holster and grab the rifle slightly, and time that 10 times. Then they compare the faster variation against the next idea. And so on, until they have eliminated as much time as possible from the sequence.

They do this every single week, I believe.

Don't have that sort of drive, myself.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Archived