SASS Wire Forum

Hammer Double technique?

Harvey Mushman

Seems to be a plethora of shotgun threads going this Independence Day Weekend, so Ill add one more:

What options are recommended for fast cocking of the hammered double? I'm adding one to my lineup for CC and probably FC and Frontiersman/Plainsman - just seems more appropriate to me.

For background, I shoot a hammerless double right handed, loading with left hand - still getting faster with practice, including keeping the shotgun back on the shoulder for reload (most of the time). I do have a different technique for firing the double trigger - have both index and middle fingers on the triggers, pull rear trigger (left barrel) first with middle finger, then front with index finger (right barrel). Works for me......

So, what are the fastest methods you've used or seen for the hammered double?

Thanks for the opinions/advice.

Have a great Independence Day celebration! :FlagAm:

Harvey

The T-Bone Dooley method, as I understand it, is with off hand, move to top of barrels, palm down thumb back towards you, sweep the hand backwards cocking both hammers at once and pushing the lever to open, jerk shotgun slightly back and to one side to shuck empties as you grab two more and load, close it up and go.

With practice it is really fast.

The T-Bone Dooley method, as I understand it, is with off hand, move to top of barrels, palm down thumb back towards you, sweep the hand backwards cocking both hammers at once and pushing the lever to open, jerk shotgun slightly back and to one side to shuck empties as you grab two more and load, close it up and go.

With practice it is really fast.

Hard to see in that sequence, but he actually pushes the gun forward and up sharply. Inertia leaves the hulls where they were, while the chambers have moved out from under them.

Hey Harvey welcome aboard I hope you can have as much fun as I have shooting the hammered shotgun.

I would be glad to give you some personal help at any match we both attend. I will be at the Black Gold match this weekend at Copperhead Joes . I bet we can even get on the same posse if you can make it .

T-Bone

I'm pretty much of a klutz, but T-Bone's technique, even as performed by me, has definitely cut down on my shotgun transition times...

:ph34r: Harvey-- Lots of good advice. You will fare best if you can master the T-Bone

technique. I personally wasn't able to make it work when I tried it. Maybe with the new shoulder I can get the 'shuck and jive' motion down without the pain I was experiencing.

In the meantime I developed a method that I used successfully at the last Defend the Roost

when I shot Classic (and, wonder of wonders, won...). Be glad to show you if you stop by.

What kind of hammered double did you get?

T-Bone,

Thanks for the gracious offer, I'd heard you were a great pard! May take you up on it if I get to Texas or you get further west (I'm in CA desert). You are sure fast with that SG!

I've looked at the clip several times and it looks like you slide the left hand down the top of the SG, pulling both hammers back with your index finger & joint while you move the lever with your right thumb, pushing the pistol grip away as you cock the hammers and eject the shells pushing forward? Seems like you also then pull back, down and rotate left to ensure they both ejected as you stop, then returning the butt to your shoulder and loading again?

If that is accurate, I'll get to practicing!

BTW, what shotgun do you use or what do you favor? I now have an IAC 99 (somewhat slicked - opens and cocks like silk) and a Rossi (opens easy, but hammers are gorilla level - going to send it to Goatneck Clem next week)).

Thanks,

Harvey

Double tap - slow server - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

:ph34r: Harvey-- Lots of good advice. You will fare best if you can master the T-Bone

technique. I personally wasn't able to make it work when I tried it. Maybe with the new shoulder I can get the 'shuck and jive' motion down without the pain I was experiencing.

In the meantime I developed a method that I used successfully at the last Defend the Roost

when I shot Classic (and, wonder of wonders, won...). Be glad to show you if you stop by.

What kind of hammered double did you get?

Hey BB!

Thanks for the thought - great to see you shooting this week with your shoulder healing! Do you plan to shoot CC again at DTR? I'll stop by and check out your "technique" - my old rotator cuffs may not let me do T-Bone's style, either!

As you saw above, I found a cheap IAC99 at Big 5 (seems very solid and one of their last ones, apparently - Howard did a nice job on it), and then stumbled on a great condition Rossi for low bucks at Tom's - couldn't pass it up).

Happy 4th to you and Goode & see you both in two weeks for our second shoot of the month! :D

Regards,

Harvey

Unless he has changed recently, T-Bone uses the TTN. So do I. Coupla year ago he parked his bus here for a coupla days on his way to EOT glory. He was gracious enuff to give several of us a class on how to run the hammer double. I learned a lot that day.

Hey everyone we are having a Free school in Sparta,Il. at the U.S. Open next Sept... We will have an array of champions stopping by to show you diferent techniques.... Stop by or stay for the entire class we would be glad to have ya....and its FREE.... T-Bone

Hey everyone we are having a Free school in Sparta,Il. at the U.S. Open next Sept... We will have an array of champions stopping by to show you diferent techniques.... Stop by or stay for the entire class we would be glad to have ya....and its FREE.... T-Bone

There ya go folks, doesn't get any better than that! :D U.S. Open is the place to be in September.

Harvey, I use T-Bone's method just slightly modified to accomadate the injuries I have accumulated over the years. Best I have found in 10 + years of hammer shotgun shootin'. :D

I was lucky enough to attend the Dooley school last year at Sparta.

I cant say enough about how much a few small changes they taught has helped my times.

I am far from the times with my shotgun as they are, but use the jerk forward technique for unloading

that they do and try to keep it on my shoulder as much as possible.

Their class is well worth your time!!

Can the hammer and opening lever springs be weakened a little on these TTN doubles?

They supposedly already are but still seem on the stiff side to me.

Mosey

Can the hammer and opening lever springs be weakened a little on these TTN doubles?

They supposedly already are but still seem on the stiff side to me.

Mosey

The TTN has a couple of truck leaf springs for hammer springs. One can slim them down by grinding them lengthwise on the inboard sides of each spring to suit you own preferences. You may find that the RH hammer interferes with with release lever while your doing the T-Bone style. You can clearance the underside of the hammer and profile the release lever to get enough clearance to fully move the release lever under the hammer while cocked. Other than that the other moving surfaces of the TTN can be polished up. While your at it check the firing pin nipples, mine backed out and caused some light primer hits, some of that lock em up juice works great here.

When I open the gun to shuck out the shells I cock BOTH hammers at the same time and then load 2 in and BOOM! No wasted movement since I'm tilting the gun to shuck out the shells and cocking at the same time. I tried Dooley's way and wasn't comfortable doing it that way. Just MHO, Rye :)

When I open the gun to shuck out the shells I cock BOTH hammers at the same time and then load 2 in and BOOM! No wasted movement since I'm tilting the gun to shuck out the shells and cocking at the same time. I tried Dooley's way and wasn't comfortable doing it that way. Just MHO, Rye :)

Hello Rye,

Not sure I understand your sequence vs T-Bone's?

What do you use to cock both, and is it before or after the shells fall out (I assume after, but never assume, right)? Do you shuck by pushing forward like T-Bone, or pull back & down with quick stop?

Thanks,

Harvey

This probably won't help much, but since you asked:

I open my shotgun, dig the left hull out, drop it, dig the right hull out, drop it, dig one or two loaded shells out of my shirt pocket, usually drop at least one of them, finally get the thing loaded and closed, then with my right thumb cock the left hammer, then the right hammer, then raise my shotgun to my shoulder and shoot.

It actually takes me longer to do that than it did for me to type the description. :lol:

I shoot an old 10 gauge Greener. The hammer springs could be used as overloads on a 3/4 ton truck. :lol:

Wow, Pulp. I do it the same way you do but I'm a little faster than you because I shoot a hammerless.

Thanks to all who helped out on this thread - this is one of the great parts of the "SASS Wahr"!

Hey Pulp, I resemble that! :blush: But the dry fire exercises are helping (less frequent train wrecks...). :)

I think I figured out T-Bone's thrust forward, up, and twist left to eject hulls with right hand on pistol grip while left goes for shells (thanks for the hint Goody!). That is quite different from what I thought and posted earlier - was able to finally get stop action on the video. That is the description, and I'm finding the execution is challenging, especially re-training from pull back & quick stop!

I intend to use this push forward eject method with my hammerless also, for muscle memory (and speed). Debating whether to try the lever open move with the left thumb over-the-top on the hammerless, as opposed to my right thumb while going for shells with left hand. Think the right is faster for hammerless, but not building muscle memory for the hammered?

Old dog, new tricks!

This is one of the things I like about discovering this sport later in life. I trust I'm not the only one learning from this - I find these type threads very interesting, and hope others do, as well. :D

Harvey

Archived