SASS Wire Forum

Percussion revolvers in FC cats?

Errol Plain

Can you shoot cap n ball revolvers in the Frontier Cartridge categories? I know it is Frontier "CARTRIDGE" but I was thinking these cats were aimed primarily at BP shooters. The rules say something along the lines of any SASS legal revolvers and to my way of thinking that includes the percussion pistols. Just wondering if I am off base. TIA

Here is the quote from the Handbook:

FRONTIER CARTRIDGE

• Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.

You can shoot cap & ball revolvers in any category, even Classic Cowboy if they are .40 caliber or larger.

The only exception I am aware of would be Wild bunch) :)

You can shoot cap & ball revolvers in any category, even Classic Cowboy if they are .40 caliber or larger.

PG 15 of the handbook under Classic Cowboy

• Revolver calibers: .40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger—revolvers and rifle Examples

include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45

Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

So you can even shoot your .36 cap and ball in classic as long as your rifle meets the .40 or higher requirement. I was actually going to do this based on teh fact that I have a new rifle and as of yet no black powder rounds for the rifle or shotgun.

Correction needs to be made here:

Classic Cowboy

Revolver calibers: .40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger—revolvers and rifle Examples

include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45

Copyright © Single Action Shooting Society, Inc 2011

Seventeenth Edition

Page 17

Correction needs to be made here:

Classic Cowboy

Revolver calibers: .40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger—revolvers and rifle Examples

Copyright © Single Action Shooting Society, Inc 2011

Seventeenth Edition

Page 17

That's what I get for answering without actually looking at the handbook! <_<

This has brought up another interesting scenario in my mind, what little of it is left. Since the .32 caliber Colt cap and ball pistols are not legal for use in Frontiersman, they should be legal for use in Frontier Cartridge since it allows .32 as a legal caliber, YES? What other reasons would one elect to use for shooting cap and ball in Frontier Cartridge?

Mike, I would not want to stake my mine claim on them being legal since the interpretation would require a stretch. If it were deemed that the caliber could be equal to cartridge calibers due to it being a cartridge cat then the 32 would work since these were designated 31s but are actually equal in caliber to the modern 32 cartridge bullets. Same difference as calling cap and ball Army revolvers .44, when they are actually 45cal bullets. Someone recently posted the black powder capacity of the 31 c&b revolvers but I am not sure if it exceeded the 1cc or not?

There is no 1cc rule, there is only a smoke equivalency requirement. Some of the smokier subs can match the smoke from 1cc of Goex with a smaller amount of powder.

Ok, my question is why would you shoot cap and ball in frontier cartridge categories instead of just frontiersman? Only thing I can see is if you were at a club that recognizes FCGF and you wanted to use c&b for some reason.... or is there something I'm missing?

Ok, my question is why would you shoot cap and ball in frontier cartridge categories instead of just frontiersman? Only thing I can see is if you were at a club that recognizes FCGF and you wanted to use c&b for some reason.... or is there something I'm missing?

Depending on his long guns, he may not be able to shoot in Frontiersman.

Depending on his long guns, he may not be able to shoot in Frontiersman.

Long gun requirements are the same for both, only difference is type of revolvers.

FRONTIER CARTRIDGE

• Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.

• Must use a side-by-side or lever action shotgun in the main match stages.

• Any SASS–legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable.

FRONTIERSMAN

• Any Main Match percussion revolver with non-adjustable sights (Note exceptions listed re:

dovetailed sights). (Exception: The 1873 Uberti percussion revolver is not allowed. )

• Must use a side-by-side or lever action shotgun in the main match stages.

• Any SASS–legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable.

Frontiersman is a "Duelist-style" category.

Frontier Cartridge is not.

OR BECAUSE ,,,,, like in the olden days a man might have only one cartridge gun ,,,,,,,, but could also call to service a perfectly good C&B gun should the need arrise...

Just because the Cartridge Pistol became availible,don't mean Folks tossed out their Ole Relieble Pistol ..... For many years both arms saw use side by side ....

So WHY not would be the better question !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

Howdy!

I did just this a few weeks back at Comancheria Days, the Texas state shoot! I signed up for Ladies Frontier Cartridge Duelist, planning to shoot my usually cartridge guns, but then got the notion to shoot my cap and ball '58 Remingtons and my Henry in 44-40, along with my 10g SXS. It was a hoot! I was slower than molassas in January, but shot clean, and you should have seen the look on the other Frontiersmen's faces when they saw their first ever Ladies Frontiersman!

I thought about officially switching catagories to Ladies Frontiersman, but since I would be the ONLY entrant in either one, I just left it as is. (I did check the rule book to make sure I could indeed shoot cap and ball in FCD, before I went to the match.)

As for why one would do this, why not?! It was a personnel challenge to shoot those pistols, rifle and shotgun. It was very period correct for Texas, as a good deal of Texas's 'wild west' period was between 1840-1865; an era of cap and ball pistols. And it was just plain fun and exciting!!

OR BECAUSE ,,,,, like in the olden days a man might have only one cartridge gun ,,,,,,,, but could also call to service a perfectly good C&B gun should the need arrise...

Just because the Cartridge Pistol became availible,don't mean Folks tossed out their Ole Relieble Pistol ..... For many years both arms saw use side by side ....

So WHY not would be the better question !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

Well after the cartridge guns became available, the C&B and other percussion and even flinters certainly didn't vanish. Even into the early 20th century it wasn't at all unusual for poor folks to fill the pot or protect the homestead with Grandpa's Kentucky rifle or Uncle Joe's 51 Navy....

leastways that's what I had in mind shooting Duelist, using a .45 Colt revolver with smokeless and a Pocket Navy .36 C&B with BP Because I can....

Also, some people(me included) see very little point in shooting a category all alone.

That makes sense. I hate being the only one or one of only a few in a category. A little competition makes things more interesting.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I have an issue with someone shooting c&b in frontier cartridge, cause I certainly don't, I was just curious as to why one would do it. Now I know. :)

PB, before we go away, lets play what if. Its a state level or above match and you get the call to make an interpretation on the premise I proposed above, how would you call it? Shooter signs up for Frontier Cartridge, which allows .32 caliber, but is actually using .31 caliber cap & ball pistols,which are technically .32 caliber. Will the pistols have to meet the minimum caliber requirement for the Frontier Cartridge Category, .32, that they will be used in or would the Frontiersman Category minimum caliber requirement, .36, follow the guns over into the cartridge cat? I promise that I am not baiting for an argument here, as this is far to technical and confusing for my mind to get around either way!

Percussion revolvers in .32 caliber are NOT LEGAL in any category.

If using .32cal centerfire conversion cylinders, the ammo would have to meet the BP "smoke" standard (in a BP category)...

the ammunition would be required to meet the MinVel/PF factors (400fps/60pf) if used in a "smokeless" category.

REVOLVER CALIBERS

• Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt).

• Standard velocity .22 caliber rimfire ammunition is allowed within the Buckaroo Category only.

• Although the .32 caliber revolvers and .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers are legal, they may not be powerful enough to handle all reactive targets.

SHB p.10

Oh Boy! FCG with ROA's! That oughta complicate the heck out of my life :lol: !!!

You don't know what life is until you shoot full house loads in ROA FCG style....... :D

An example. Our club president, Tightwad Swede, shoots cap and ball occasionally but is unable, due to an injury, to shoot them duelist.

A cap and ball shot 2 handed places the shooter in the FC category.

As historically accurate as the 1849 Colt would be, it would be a poor choice even if it were allowed. Not enough power to knock the dust off a knock-down. Only five chambers would also be a challenge. Some replicas have devices to set the hammer down on a pin (or notch like the small Remington) but this is not safe IMHO.

I have looked at getting some C&B shortguns. I have worn out several before ever hearing of CAS. I like the 1862 Colt but it only holds five rounds. Looks like Navy's for me at some point.

Tom, unless you much prefer the Army grip it is possible to get the Navy grip and look in .44 caliber from Pietta. Not exactly historically correct but it does fill in a gap that old Samuel missed, guys with short fingers who want to leave big holes where they shoot.

Archived