SASS Wire Forum

brass brand

El Muerto Negro

My favorite brand of brass is Starline.

They had been out of .38's for some time.

But I got my order Friday. So they should still have some.

It's the only brand of brass that I buy new. And save the new for big matches.

Then after the big match it goes into the pile with the rest of the mixed brass.

The brass I dislike the most is Winchester.

If any Winchester finds its way into my pile.

Try to make sure I use it in my rifle. Then if I lose it at a match.

I really don't care.

What Brass brand is best to reload in a dillon 550b 38 & 45

I don't shoot 38's only 45 Colt. I have loaded every head stamp that comes my way. There is no best or worst ... they all load equally on the 550b.

Ask me my favorite 45 Colts and the answer is Starlines

Howdy

I have a great big bucket of 38 Sp brass that I saved for over twenty years when I was shooting but had not started reloading yet. I knew eventually I would reload them myself. Every brand of brass under the sun is in that bucket. When I need to load more 38s, I reach into the bucket and grab a few handfulls of brass and throw them into the tumbler to clean them up. Then I load them up. I have not noticed any really significant difference in any of the bazillion brands of brass in that bucket. They all load up just fine.

For other calibers I usually buy Winchester. Or else Starline, who can be counted on to make some obscure calibers that nobody else makes any more. Frankly, I am getting a bit tired of how sporadic Winchester is with the availability of some calibers, so I am leaning more towards Starline these days. Not because it is any better, just better availability.

Although I must say, with 45 Colt I have also loaded every brand under the sun, and I have never been particularly unhappy with any of them. With obscure calibers like 45 Schofield, 44 Russian, and 45 Auto Rim, I am pretty locked into Starline because nobody else makes them. But I have a box full of 'assorted' brands of 45 Colt brass, and when I run out of Winchester and Starline, I have no problem reaching into that box and using whatever is in there.

One last thought. I avoid all brands of nickel plated brass. In my experience nickel plated brass splits more frequently than plain brass brass.

My favorite brand of brass is Starline.

They had been out of .38's for some time.

But I got my order Friday. So they should still have some.

It's the only brand of brass that I buy new. And save the new for big matches.

Then after the big match it goes into the pile with the rest of the mixed brass.

The brass I dislike the most is Winchester.

If any Winchester finds its way into my pile.

Try to make sure I use it in my rifle. Then if I lose it at a match.

I really don't care.

==================================================

Ditto on Starline, 'cause that's all I buy anymore. Just as good as Remington, but at a better price. Ditto again for Winchester, which I have found to be of inconsistent quality, i.e., some primer pockets so tight you can barely get a primer seated flush with the base, even though I use a primer pocket reamer on every piece of brass I reload, and bent rims on others that won't even fit in the shell holder. The ones with the too-tight primer pockets get marked so they go in the trash next time around.

I don't have a Dillon, but I use all the brass I can find.

There are a few odd brands that are not as good, but any major brand has worked for me including Starline, Winchester, R&P, Federal, Speer, and CCI.

I load with a 550b and in 38s and the dillon dont care want it is.

I use everthing imaginable, but any new brass comes from Starline. Beyond the reasons already listed, Starline supports CAS by donating git certificates at major matches. It's always a good idea to scratch the back of those who scratch ours.

I am a shooter and a commercial reloader.

Your press will load good ammunition no matter the brass. May need slight adjustment changes.

------------

My comments starts with a question.

What make and model rifle do you use?

The reason for asking is that pistols really don't care what make your brass is unless you do a lot of reloading on stages at your matches. (This is another issue) The make and model of rifle can make a big difference. The extractors on the various rifles are not the same. The different makes of brass are also varied. Winchester has the narrowest and shallowest groove of all the brass I have looked at. Take the Henry 1860, the Winchester 66 and 73 rifles which have case extractors that need to ride over the rim and drop in to the rim groove to work well. With the thin and shallow groove of Winchester brass the extractor may not get a good grip and can let go during extraction. The wider and deeper groove in some brass will help improve extraction. I know of rifles that have been to the gunsmith over and over to fix the extraction issues only to be cured by using different brass.

Starline has a wide and deep extraction groove. Some of the other brands are close but usually cost more than Starline.

So when choosing brass, choose it for your rifle.

Archived