SASS Wire Forum

BP Cleanup advice (that could save your ..... ! )

Hugh Damwright

After 3 months of not shooting cowboy, we had a match at my home club today and I decided to shoot the holy black, for one of my twice a year ventures. Afterwards, my girlfriend had gone away for the weekend so I had the evening / house to myself, ahhh, a perfect time to eat man-food and clean guns. I did the hot soapy water in the bathtub process that I had read about. All was going well until after I rinsed the guns. There was a line of black soot all around the tub and on the bottom. Windex and hot water does NOT take this off. After much thought and work, I have discovered that COMET and a TIRE BRUSH followed by HOT WATER will clean a white tub pretty good. (This does require a few drinks to properly do the job)

If anyone uses the lady's bathtub for some cleaning, be sure and have some comet and a tire brush on hand. It could just save your life!! Oh, don't do tooo good of a job or she may get suspicious that the tub is shining more than ever.

Now to get the smell of Montana Extreme bore cleaner out of the house before she gets home in the morning..... (Vanilla bathroom spray didn't do it)

Hugh,

What you really need is a girlfriend that likes to clean black powder guns while you eat the favorite man foods she prepared for you! Of course she would take breaks to freshen your cool beverage! :P

Just a word to the wise. Do not use Comet from the can or any abrasive cleaner on showers, tubs, sinks. It will scratch. Find a product called "Barkeepers Friend" - looks and dispenses like Comet but doesn't scratch. It works great on all surfaces - read the can. The only problem you will have is that the tub may be noticably cleaner and you might get the tub cleaning assignment permanently. ;)

MJJ

Hugh now you know EXACTLY why Wild Bill Blackerby, Driftwood Johnson and I have all been banned from any number of hotels. Lady BPGF Lou Graham goes under the radar by having her husband register. :lol: Damn towels are really expensive too.

Let me add a caveat.

Don't clean smokeless guns in the motel sink in Albuquerque while at EOT. The Gun Scrubber wull etch the the plastic and no amount of scrubbing will get it out. :unsure:

No need for bath tub, shower or sink. A spritz of moosemilk and a tug of the boresnake is all it takes. . . . if you're shooting Genuine Powder and Big Lube bullets. Otherwise, it's back to the tub with you and your dirty guns.

DD-DLoS

Used the bathtub at a hotel once. ONCE! I didn't catch any flack from the hotel but I really felt bad for the person who had to clean up the MESS.

After that I took enough stuff to clean the guns like I do at home, the only difference was I used their trash can lined with a plastic bag to empty the gook into. Takes a little longer but what else you gonna do in a hotel??

Another choice for cleaning is Bon Ami - essentially the same as Barkeepers Friend.

Yup, plastic tubs are very handy.

Okay, that is pretty well settled.

Tell us about your Man Food!!! :D :D

No need for bath tub, shower or sink. A spritz of moosemilk and a tug of the boresnake is all it takes. . . . if you're shooting Genuine Powder and Big Lube bullets. Otherwise, it's back to the tub with you and your dirty guns.

DD-DLoS

Dick is correct,the bath tub or shower crowd are putting way too much effort in to cleaning your guns. Big Lube bullets and bore snakes make shooting black a Joy,JMO. Adios Sgt. Jake

Hugh,

What you really need is a girlfriend that likes to clean black powder guns while you eat the favorite man foods she prepared for you! Of course she would take breaks to freshen your cool beverage! :P

You know that Ethan is sharper than his avatar with the varmit on his head would make you think. Fact is, he hit it right on the nose, sort of. :)

Me? Well, my method is more period correct. I whiz on mine like the calvary used to do to clean. Two things come from that. One is that I strive to stay hydrated while shooting and I do not have to use those plastic outhouses before heading home either. Fouling always stays soft. Just a couple kleenex or toilet paper and all clean. Then, you sit down to sports on TV and an adult beverage. Do it like that? Damright :)

Hugh ole' pard, yer making this way to hard. I've tried several of the popular methods and, IMHO Murphy's mix and Ballistol is so easy a caveman could do it :) . Hope to see ya at the NC State BP match in April........Night Shoot!!! :DB)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Tell us about your Man Food!!! :D :D

Marauder,

Ground deer meat FRIED and turned into MANWICH, open face on burger buns with dill pickle slices. Tossed 3 of these down with a sundrop (if you don't know what they are, you live in the wrong place friend).

Cleanup beverage was a mix of sundrop and Seagrams 7. Figured the 7 may help since i was cleaning up 777.

Jefro,

I just can't get it downpat. Everyone talks about how easy it is to clean up BP, I find it just the opposite. My guns were nasty through and through. They do look great now, after a complete teardown of each. This is why I only do this about twice a year. This one is out of the way, next will be the state bp match. See ya there !~ (p.s. - used my widdermajick and it did great, except for 2 split cases that wouldn't extract).

ONE BIT OF ADVISE FROM A FULL TIME BP SHOOTER SINCE 1998 IN CAS, AND BPCR AND OTHER LONG RANGE BP RIFLE MATCHES SINCE 1991. NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER USED A PETROLEUM BASE SOLVENT OR CLEANER ON BP. WARM OR HOT WATER AND SOAP FOLLOWED BY BALLISTOL OR BORE BUTTER (OR SIMILAR PRODUCT). ALSO BEFORE SHOOTING A BP MATCH CLEAN ALL THE PETROLEUM BASED LUBE/BORE PROTECTOR FROM THE BARRELS OF YOUR GUNS. BP FOULING AND OIL BASED PRODUCTS TURN TO CONCRETE WHEN MIXED.

Iron Pony, that was a stroll down memory lane and made me LOL. My first BP-cleaning-in-the-hotel-adventure! YIKES! What a mess. I shoved the brass brush right through the Trapdoor and it SPRAYED black goo ALL OVER the whole bathroom. White shower curtain, white walls, the mirror, the countertop, the floor -- everywhere was black measles on white. I grabbed the first thing I came to, a white towel and started to clean up the blobs, smearing the blobs into streaks and making a mess out of the towel, too. Now I'm thinking the black version of the pink stuff from Cat in the Hat as it seems to be multiplying....... What a nightmare that was!

I have a nice 5 gal bucket from the local hardware store for hot sudsy water to clean guns, I was kicked out of the bathroom then kitchen a long time ago. Whata mess. As I sit in the campground at Ben Avery today I missed having lots of hot water for the cleanup.

Iron Pony, that was a stroll down memory lane and made me LOL. My first BP-cleaning-in-the-hotel-adventure! YIKES! What a mess. I shoved the brass brush right through the Trapdoor and it SPRAYED black goo ALL OVER the whole bathroom. White shower curtain, white walls, the mirror, the countertop, the floor -- everywhere was black measles on white. I grabbed the first thing I came to, a white towel and started to clean up the blobs, smearing the blobs into streaks and making a mess out of the towel, too. Now I'm thinking the black version of the pink stuff from Cat in the Hat as it seems to be multiplying....... What a nightmare that was!

That was great!!! :D :D

I can just picture it and laugh.

I just use diluted Simple Green and water.

No hot water and soap, no sink, no tub and I don't have to milk Mooses or any other creatures.

If I could get a girlfriend to clean the guns it would be even better (at least until the wife found out!)

Yer killin me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived