SASS Wire Forum

Dillon and Lee.. What?

Deja Vous

This summer I will be moving in to my own place, or at least a place that has a garage area. I am watching the market and right now the best guess is housing will drop 5% this summer in some areas, so I am waiting..

But, I will move and I want to move where I have room for my reloader. In the past I had a dillon Square D.. I load for 357/38 and blackpowder only.. and 12 guage.. At present I am loading with a very kind friend, but lets be honest here,., it is easy to get really tired of me being silly.. lol.. So, I am thinking the Square D again, and a Lee.. But I have seen and worked a little bit with his RCBS.. While it is fun to me to have someone to reload with, I know everyone does not "love" my company.. lol.. So, a Dillon and a Lee is the plan for now.. I did use smokeless clays in the past.. but I have fallen in love with BP.. Okay, fine I am HOOKED on BP.. lol.. So what do you think? No one is right or wrong.. I just want ideas here.. please???

Deja,

With a Dillon XL-650 you just can't go wrong. My brother Jonny T and I both have 650's and he just set up a 650 for Brett this last weekend, who is a new at loading. I know that Double Scotch also loads with a 650. As for shotgun loading, my brother and I both load using a Posness-Warren loader, been using mine for 16 + years.

Roy

I would say that if you are an experienced reloader and have the coin to spend, go for the Dillon. I have the Lee Classic Turret, which is really a semi-progressive press (one round at a time, but it takes 4 pulls). I like this press because I can keep an eye on every step while still being fast enough for the volume that I shoot. When I start reloading shotshells, I plan to buy the Lee.

If you only ever intend to reload pistol caliber cartridges then the Square Deal is a good choice. However if at some future time you might want to reload rifle caliber, you might want to consider a press that will handle both.

Regarding the shotgun press, you might want to consider the MEC 600 Jr. I am reloading BP for the shotgun and I have the Lee for my 16 gauge and the MEC for my 10 gauge and after using both, I find the MEC to be a MUCH better press. Since you are using the far more common 12 gauge, you might want to look for a used MEC.

Please note that due to my rather substantial shotgun loads, I am dipping the BP charges, I am not using the press to dispense the powder.

DV, I think I'd suggest the Dillon and Mec tandem as well. I've got a LEE Pro 1000 that I use for .38's, it's okay, but can be problematic for some. For my .45's, i have a Dillon SDB. rifle rounds, I use an RCBS Partner single stage. for 12 ga., I use a Mec Jr. that I picked up years ago used......Buck :angry:

Deja I have a very small loading room/area and use three presses only one of which is mounted for use at a time. SDB handles all my cowboy loading needs for the 44-40 and will for the 44Spec when I find a used conversion kit or buy a kind of spendy new one. The press has been fitted with an aluminum hopper for BP use and handles 2f real powder with no problems. I load all my smokeless on this one as well and the nice thing is I can leave the large charge bar set for the BP load and fiddle with the small bar for smokeless.

Shotgun is done with a used versa mec I bought from a friend and it has been modified with an old, metal WW748 cannister style powder can that just happens to thread right into the place of the plastic powder hopper.

Long range and misc cartridges are done on the first press I ever bought, an RCBS single stage. In truth the RCBS and one of the other two could be mounted at the same time but it would get tight.

Powder for LR stuff comes through a Lyman measure that like the SDB has an aluminum hopper, gotta love having a master machinist for a father-in-law and mounts on a shelf above the bench when the drop tube is used. Lubing the big bore bullets is done with a lyman one at a time lube/sizer while bulk bullets from Slim-Pony go through the star lubesizer at Sixgun's house.

All the equipment except the single stage press is mounted for use to an aluminum plate that sticks out from the bench top by about four inches so its easy to get to and there are drilled threaded holes for each of the items. Mounts solid and they are quick to put on or take off.

So, if you are going with a auto indexing progressive press buy the dillion, if you dont need to do a bunch of different calibers get the SDB. Shot sells can be loaded on anything from a Lee load all to PW or even the dillion shotshell rig, as said I'm happy with the used mec. And I'd never be without a single stage press for misc stuff that always seem to pop up.

You said that you had a dillon square deal, where is it now??? Didn't you bring it with you to Calif??? If you are familiar with it I would get that then, I use a the 550b and love it, it has enough space around the tool head to see what is going on, granted you have to move it by hand, but once you get used to that it is a snap, I have mine on strong mount, roller handle, cartridge tray, bullet tray, I also have a light hooked up to see in the case for powder, I have 3 550's set up the same way, as for shotgun, I use the mec sizemaster, it is a single stage but works really well for me. I just like the 550's over the square deal, just more room around tool head in case you run into trouble and have to take the brass out for some reason and start over, the 550 is easy to switch to another caliber if that is something you might consider, just change tool head and the primer if you are going from small to large or vice versa. Quite a few of my friends have the square deal and some have the lee pro 1000, the lee pro 1000 you have to work on it to get it just right, quite a bit of tinkering with it but then when done it produces good ammo, personally I would stick with dillon since you are familiar with it.

square deal--propereiraty dies

550b--you can use any die that you want, I went with dillon dies since you can pull the seat and crimp die to clean without messing up adjustment, a big plus IMHO

All for now JD Trampas

This summer I will be moving in to my own place, or at least a place that has a garage area. I am watching the market and right now the best guess is housing will drop 5% this summer in some areas, so I am waiting..

But, I will move and I want to move where I have room for my reloader. In the past I had a dillon Square D.. I load for 357/38 and blackpowder only.. and 12 guage.. At present I am loading with a very kind friend, but lets be honest here,., it is easy to get really tired of me being silly.. lol.. So, I am thinking the Square D again, and a Lee.. But I have seen and worked a little bit with his RCBS.. While it is fun to me to have someone to reload with, I know everyone does not "love" my company.. lol.. So, a Dillon and a Lee is the plan for now.. I did use smokeless clays in the past.. but I have fallen in love with BP.. Okay, fine I am HOOKED on BP.. lol.. So what do you think? No one is right or wrong.. I just want ideas here.. please???

I think you're saying you had a Dillon SDB before but you're not using one of those now (his RCBS)? And you're thinking about a Lee press for shotshells?

Sounds like you have some hands-on reasons to prefer the SDB to his RCBS for your purposes. That probably helps, since you can use your own judgement there. (Apples to apples? Is the RCBS one of their progressives?)

For metallic cartridges... in addition to the black powder and some other issues other folks have mentioned, I'd suggest it might also depend on how much you shoot. You can load a boatload of ammo on a Lee (or any other) turret press, in a reasonable amount of time and for not a lot of pesos. The trade-off is in the time you have available.

FWIW, I've worked with Dillon SDB's, 550s, and 650s; all have pros and cons, somewhat depending on personal preferences. For what you get with an SDB, it can be a pretty good choice.

Where you've had comfortable hands-on experience, trust your judgement.

-Chris

I've not had any experience with the SDB, but the fact that it only loads straight wall cartridges could be a minus. Who knows what you'll decide to load for in the future? A 550 isn't much more expensive, and you can use any dies. I use Lee, RCBS and Dillon dies with mine...

I've loaded shotshells, both BP and smokeless, on a Lee Load-All and a MEC Jr. Go for the MEC. I think you'll find that you get much more uniform shells out of the MEC, and you'll be a lot happier. I use an adjustable charge bar with mine, and load Pyrodex with no problems...

Just remember, opinions are like belly buttons, most everybody's got one, and you get what you pay for... :FlagAm:

Charlie, you can bet that the SDB will load bottleneck cartridges as I've loaded thousands of 44-40 on mine. I think they did a 38-40 and maybe a 357Sig but dont hold me to that, would have to check the catalog. Also I DO NOT lube cases before they go into the machine, ust make sure they are clean.

DV

I load everything metalic on a Lee single stage press and S/G on Mec single stages , I started with Lee load alls but soon changed over to Mecs . I have yet to find a reason to go to a progressive press , I have looked at the Lee turrent for pistol Cartages . I will keep the Challenger press to do rifle . It is slower but it works for me .

Chickasaw Bill

DV, Versamec($30 on ebay for shotgun), Lee Turret for 44-40. I bought my Lee from the return page of the Lee price list. Dies are cheap and easily set up.

I'd look at ebay for the Lee. Much cheaper and the ammo still goes bang when you pull the trigger. Plenty fast enough for CAS.

Dillon 550 and a versa mec sizemaster with primer feed is the way to go. Get a problem,,, call Dillon and they will walk you thru your problem and send u free parts to fix your problem.

CCBA

Deja,

With a Dillon XL-650 you just can't go wrong. My brother Jonny T and I both have 650's and he just set up a 650 for Brett this last weekend, who is a new at loading. I know that Double Scotch also loads with a 650. As for shotgun loading, my brother and I both load using a Posness-Warren loader, been using mine for 16 + years.

Roy

Hey.. you... lol. Thanks so much.. I had a square D in MO and I could use it, I admit I used the 800 Dillion number even better.. lol.. But one thing I didn't like about it was there was no powder checker thinger on it. And CCI's didn't work so I used Winchesters for primers. Never did shotgun, but I have been with Jitterys and its fun too. I will look at the 650s too.. thanks..

Well ma'am - if you're doing it right your reloader will need his own room, probably about 12x14,

with a closet, room for a hot plate and a T.V., and of course a reloading bench! :rolleyes:

If you're doing it like the rest of us you'll need place for a sturdy (as in stand on it and jump) bench, plus stuff.

My current reloading set up.

In my garage I built enough counter space to allow a dedicated area for the reloader, and a set of shelves for stuff.

I love RCBS equipment. Others like other stuff - that's why God invented blonds too, brunettes and redheads weren't enough choices.

I have owned an RCBS Rockchucker since the day they invented dirt. It is indestructible and can load every thing up to .50 BMG.

To it I have attached the semi-progressive reloading head (RCBS 2000) to be able to load around 350 rounds per hour of

.45 Colt or .45 ACP. It is fast enough that on a good day in the garage I can load up a thousand rounds and listen to a complete play

though of my Gaelic Storm collection, or a lot of Steve McDonald.

I've gone retro and sized/decapped a thousand .45 Colts in a sitting - then hand primed them in front of the T.V over a seasons worth

of Have Gun, Will Travel, then taken them and filled 'em with powder and lead in the garage, to get it done. Adding on the semi-progressive

allowed me to get speed out of it - but when I reload .30-06, or .308, or other loads, the top comes back off - and the dies go in.

I like RCBS as a company - whenever (rarely) something went FUBAR, I'd call them, and they'd ship the fix to me free the next day.

There are as good, arguably better, presses out there - but what ever you get - make sure it fits your style, don't alter your style to fit

the hardware.

I don't load shotgun - might consider it someday if the urge to shoot BP shotgun overpowers my more reasonable side, and that could happen,

at which time I'll buy a MEC loader for 12 gauge and go that route.

I'd spend a lot more effort on the ergonomics and the layout of the bench, plus the music and the area comfort (warmth, cooling, ventilation, etc.).

Reloading is a solitary activity, you need to be comfortable, focused, relaxed and fully engaged in the NOW.

When it comes to hardware - Parts is Parts.

Make sure the wetware is fully engaged, everything else is stuff.

Shadow Catcher

p.s. - reloading is like working in the darkroom - the creativity can get pretty wild too! One of the things I like about reloading is making

small batches to test - right now I'm fixing to find a load for the .45 Colt using a 255 LSWC; I'm trying to get around 900 f/s with a one hole

group at 25 yds. My SAA & my RNV's are accurate - I need to build a load with that accuracy for non-CAS purposes.

"Come up to the Lab - and see what's on the slab" ;)

I think you're saying you had a Dillon SDB before but you're not using one of those now (his RCBS)? And you're thinking about a Lee press for shotshells?

Sounds like you have some hands-on reasons to prefer the SDB to his RCBS for your purposes. That probably helps, since you can use your own judgement there. (Apples to apples? Is the RCBS one of their progressives?)

For metallic cartridges... in addition to the black powder and some other issues other folks have mentioned, I'd suggest it might also depend on how much you shoot. You can load a boatload of ammo on a Lee (or any other) turret press, in a reasonable amount of time and for not a lot of pesos. The trade-off is in the time you have available.

FWIW, I've worked with Dillon SDB's, 550s, and 650s; all have pros and cons, somewhat depending on personal preferences. For what you get with an SDB, it can be a pretty good choice.

Where you've had comfortable hands-on experience, trust your judgement.

-Chris

Yes that is what I am saying. The one thing about the Dillion was it is harder to press the handle back on the Dillon and I got a few high primers. And the thing had to be REALLY mounted on a sturdy table.. lol.. Course maybe that was operator error.

Well ma'am - if you're doing it right your reloader will need his own room, probably about 12x14,

with a closet, room for a hot plate and a T.V., and of course a reloading bench! :rolleyes:

If you're doing it like the rest of us you'll need place for a sturdy (as in stand on it and jump) bench, plus stuff.

My current reloading set up.

In my garage I built enough counter space to allow a dedicated area for the reloader, and a set of shelves for stuff.

I love RCBS equipment. Others like other stuff - that's why God invented blonds too, brunettes and redheads weren't enough choices.

I have owned an RCBS Rockchucker since the day they invented dirt. It is indestructible and can load every thing up to .50 BMG.

To it I have attached the semi-progressive reloading head (RCBS 2000) to be able to load around 350 rounds per hour of

.45 Colt or .45 ACP. It is fast enough that on a good day in the garage I can load up a thousand rounds and listen to a complete play

though of my Gaelic Storm collection, or a lot of Steve McDonald.

I've gone retro and sized/decapped a thousand .45 Colts in a sitting - then hand primed them in front of the T.V over a seasons worth

of Have Gun, Will Travel, then taken them and filled 'em with powder and lead in the garage, to get it done. Adding on the semi-progressive

allowed me to get speed out of it - but when I reload .30-06, or .308, or other loads, the top comes back off - and the dies go in.

I like RCBS as a company - whenever (rarely) something went FUBAR, I'd call them, and they'd ship the fix to me free the next day.

There are as good, arguably better, presses out there - but what ever you get - make sure it fits your style, don't alter your style to fit

the hardware.

I don't load shotgun - might consider it someday if the urge to shoot BP shotgun overpowers my more reasonable side, and that could happen,

at which time I'll buy a MEC loader for 12 gauge and go that route.

I'd spend a lot more effort on the ergonomics and the layout of the bench, plus the music and the area comfort (warmth, cooling, ventilation, etc.).

Reloading is a solitary activity, you need to be comfortable, focused, relaxed and fully engaged in the NOW.

When it comes to hardware - Parts is Parts.

Make sure the wetware is fully engaged, everything else is stuff.

Shadow Catcher

p.s. - reloading is like working in the darkroom - the creativity can get pretty wild too! One of the things I like about reloading is making

small batches to test - right now I'm fixing to find a load for the .45 Colt using a 255 LSWC; I'm trying to get around 900 f/s with a one hole

group at 25 yds. My SAA & my RNV's are accurate - I need to build a load with that accuracy for non-CAS purposes.

"Come up to the Lab - and see what's on the slab" ;)

Thanks shaddows what a nice room... oh, you forgot the radio.. I like to listen to the radio when I am working on stuff. lol.. TV steals my attention sometimes and that might not be a good thing.. lol Well, you know me.. lol

Deja I have a very small loading room/area and use three presses only one of which is mounted for use at a time. SDB handles all my cowboy loading needs for the 44-40 and will for the 44Spec when I find a used conversion kit or buy a kind of spendy new one. The press has been fitted with an aluminum hopper for BP use and handles 2f real powder with no problems. I load all my smokeless on this one as well and the nice thing is I can leave the large charge bar set for the BP load and fiddle with the small bar for smokeless.

Shotgun is done with a used versa mec I bought from a friend and it has been modified with an old, metal WW748 cannister style powder can that just happens to thread right into the place of the plastic powder hopper.

Long range and misc cartridges are done on the first press I ever bought, an RCBS single stage. In truth the RCBS and one of the other two could be mounted at the same time but it would get tight.

Powder for LR stuff comes through a Lyman measure that like the SDB has an aluminum hopper, gotta love having a master machinist for a father-in-law and mounts on a shelf above the bench when the drop tube is used. Lubing the big bore bullets is done with a lyman one at a time lube/sizer while bulk bullets from Slim-Pony go through the star lubesizer at Sixgun's house.

All the equipment except the single stage press is mounted for use to an aluminum plate that sticks out from the bench top by about four inches so its easy to get to and there are drilled threaded holes for each of the items. Mounts solid and they are quick to put on or take off.

So, if you are going with a auto indexing progressive press buy the dillion, if you dont need to do a bunch of different calibers get the SDB. Shot sells can be loaded on anything from a Lee load all to PW or even the dillion shotshell rig, as said I'm happy with the used mec. And I'd never be without a single stage press for misc stuff that always seem to pop up.

I load only the 357-38 stuff and 12 gauge shotgun... So.. that part will be easy.. Course if I need to load other stuff for someone I would once I get a different die.

You said that you had a dillon square deal, where is it now??? Didn't you bring it with you to Calif??? If you are familiar with it I would get that then, I use a the 550b and love it, it has enough space around the tool head to see what is going on, granted you have to move it by hand, but once you get used to that it is a snap, I have mine on strong mount, roller handle, cartridge tray, bullet tray, I also have a light hooked up to see in the case for powder, I have 3 550's set up the same way, as for shotgun, I use the mec sizemaster, it is a single stage but works really well for me. I just like the 550's over the square deal, just more room around tool head in case you run into trouble and have to take the brass out for some reason and start over, the 550 is easy to switch to another caliber if that is something you might consider, just change tool head and the primer if you are going from small to large or vice versa. Quite a few of my friends have the square deal and some have the lee pro 1000, the lee pro 1000 you have to work on it to get it just right, quite a bit of tinkering with it but then when done it produces good ammo, personally I would stick with dillon since you are familiar with it.

square deal--propereiraty dies

550b--you can use any die that you want, I went with dillon dies since you can pull the seat and crimp die to clean without messing up adjustment, a big plus IMHO

All for now JD Trampas

No I didn't bring it along, long story, wish I could have. Anyhow... the RCBS is easier to pull, but I do like the primer tube better on the Dillion cuz I am clumsey.. lol. I can knock over a piano.. lol.. But if I focus I am okay.. in fact when I focus I even stop rocking and tapping my feet.. so people who know me keep me busy.. lol..

I do like both, but of course being more use to the Dillion his is more complex. So, I pretty much hang out and measure and check for high primers.. and box.. I do better on the shotgun reloader.. lol I do clean guns well though.. lol

Folks don't "Love" yur company ?? :rolleyes:

Are dey crazy ??? ;)

Dats rat, yur da crazy one !!!! :lol:

I have a Lee single stage press me own self, but thinkin' bout givin' RCBS a try once the gold dust thingy settles down.

Oh, BTW, "Welcome to da Darkside !!"

Apache Hawk

Soot Master

Lord of da Soot

Darksider

Smelly Smoke Maker

Yes that is what I am saying. The one thing about the Dillion was it is harder to press the handle back on the Dillon and I got a few high primers. And the thing had to be REALLY mounted on a sturdy table.. lol.. Course maybe that was operator error.

Yep, can only say that's not really a function of the SDB, or even of Dillon presses in general. All of 'em -- brands, models, styles, etc. -- have some motions you need to learn, practice, and incorporate into the regimen. Wouldn't go so far as to call it "operator error" when you're still within the "learning curve" period :)

-Chris

Charlie, you can bet that the SDB will load bottleneck cartridges as I've loaded thousands of 44-40 on mine. I think they did a 38-40 and maybe a 357Sig but dont hold me to that, would have to check the catalog. Also I DO NOT lube cases before they go into the machine, ust make sure they are clean.

It appears that I mis-spoke. I should have said handgun cartridges...

When I said only straight wall, I was thinking of the more severely bottle-necked rifle, etc. type cartridges...

Thanks for reminding me...

Folks don't "Love" yur company ?? :)

Are dey crazy ??? :)

Dats rat, yur da crazy one !!!! :D

I have a Lee single stage press me own self, but thinkin' bout givin' RCBS a try once the gold dust thingy settles down.

Oh, BTW, "Welcome to da Darkside !!"

Apache Hawk

Soot Master

Lord of da Soot

Darksider

Smelly Smoke Maker

Ah.. people love me.. then they get kinda tired of me.. lol... And finally they start buidling little cages in the attic to keep me in.. lol.. just kidding...

I would go with the Dillon 550. Uses everyones dies, easy to calibers especially if you have to switch betweeen large and small primers. Lifetime warranty.

The RCBS is a nice machine too and I like its priming system better than Dillon's. However, the big downside is that the warranty is not transferrable. The lifetime warranty only extends to the original owner.

For shotgun, stick with the MEC and buy used if you can get a decent price.

... and check for high primers...
If you adjust your shellplate correctly you probably won't need to check for them on a 550. If you get a high primer you can feel them when you try to advance the cartridge: it is not much different than a revolver.

DILLON!!!!! Get a dillon 550b at the least but the xl650 is better the super 1050 isnt much better than the XL650

Lots of Dillion supporters for sure.. I did like it a lot.. but I will tell ya taht the RCBS is good too, let pressure on the handle when you press in the primer so the table does not need to be solid. The primer gadget is different.. but with Dillon you have to replace those little plastic tips all the time too for the tube... Both see to have great customer service.. so lets shoot to the bottom line.. RCBS is in CA??? Where is Dillion being made? I like things about both of them.. I will admit they are both mechanical and therefore a bit complex, I have a mechanical mind, and I love to tinker with stuff but being a girl that was pretty much shut down a bit so I could do girls stuff.. lol.. As a kid I liked trying to rebuild wind up alarm clocks.. but girls dont do that or didn't back then so I moved on to training horses instead.. lol. So, they both are great presses... but which is American made? Are both??? now sure?

i started with a lee turret then got a 650 xl dillon with case feeder. well now got 2 650xl's

so save money & get the good one now instead of later & the cheaper one just sitts with money tied up in it

Archived