SASS Wire Forum

Quite disgusted and embarassed

All morning on the radio that plays at work, through all of the morning show chatter and the new briefs every 15 minutes, and even on the TV news before I left the house, there hasn't been a single word about it being Pearl Harbor Day. It has been mentioned about 100 times that tomorrow is the anniversary of John Lennon getting shot, but Pearl Harbor doesn't rate getting a mention.

Those who choose to forget the past are condemned to repeat it...

There are things that should not, cannot be forgotten. :FlagAm:

Every Dec 7 I wear my very un-P.C. T-shirt.

Front reads "Nuke Tokyo. Better late than never."

Back has a mushroom cloud depicted with the caption "Made in USA. Tested in Japan."

Even wore it once during a 4-hour lay-over in Narita Airport. Somehow survived.

Even today Japan hasn't apologized for the atrocities they committed during the war. I toured Corregidor and drove the route of the infamous Bataan Death March to the POW camp. Even today I consider them one of the most xenophobic cultures on the planet. This might get pulled, but I'm still P.O.ed almost 70 years later. Never Forget.

I don't know what's on broadcast news since I don't watch it, but there was a short article in our local paper about a guy who requested and rec'd a chunk of the AZ for public display. Link below to the article:

Pearl Harbor artifact

As for the overall lack of coverage, 69 years is a long time ago and as time goes by, those events inevitably become footnotes like the firing on Fort Sumter, the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand and the invasion of Poland. And generally speaking, more attention is paid over time to the end of conflicts as opposed to the beginning of them.

God bless all veterans of all wars.

We had 3 Pearl Harbor survivors at out Veterans day event at work. I really gave me a special feeling being in the room with them. Words can't describe. I know that any loss of life in battle is a terrible thing, but most people today do not realize how many were lost in WWII.

"As for the overall lack of coverage, 69 years is a long time ago and as time goes by, those events inevitably become footnotes like the firing on Fort Sumter, the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand and the invasion of Poland. And generally speaking, more attention is paid over time to the end of conflicts as opposed to the beginning of them.

God bless all veterans of all wars."

Well Said Pard. My Grandfather was there.

Its sad indeed, but with the lack of teaching our children about the past in History, we slowly forget all them "Remember" that we said we would never forget. The Alamo, The Maine, The Lusitana, Pearl Harbor, and recently the Twin Towers. Its said we will never forget and always remember, but we seem to have a short memory. When we were young WW2, Korean War, Vietnam, were for many a part, then a past, then many forgottens. Even the First Gulf War seems so long ago now. Soon to be forgotten. If they won't or don't teach it in school, we should teach our youngsters, so to always remember, and never forgotten. MT

Thanks for bringing this up.

In America today

We will always remember...translates to 6 months

We will never forget...........translates to 12 months

Forever.............................translates to 5 years maximum.

10 years ago..................... anchent History as long ago and forgoten as the moon landing

Because man never learns form history each generation is required to supply the next generations forgotten heros.

Bugs

All morning on the radio that plays at work, through all of the morning show chatter and the new briefs every 15 minutes, and even on the TV news before I left the house, there hasn't been a single word about it being Pearl Harbor Day. It has been mentioned about 100 times that tomorrow is the anniversary of John Lennon getting shot, but Pearl Harbor doesn't rate getting a mention.

Those who choose to forget the past are condemned to repeat it...

There are things that should not, cannot be forgotten. :D

Sad but truth is not many care about yesterday :P

Every Dec 7 I wear my very un-P.C. T-shirt.

Front reads "Nuke Tokyo. Better late than never."

Back has a mushroom cloud depicted with the caption "Made in USA. Tested in Japan."

Even wore it once during a 4-hour lay-over in Narita Airport. Somehow survived.

Even today Japan hasn't apologized for the atrocities they committed during the war. I toured Corregidor and drove the route of the infamous Bataan Death March to the POW camp. Even today I consider them one of the most xenophobic cultures on the planet. This might get pulled, but I'm still P.O.ed almost 70 years later. Never Forget.

I was posted in da P.I. fer a while and toured Corregidor also. Remember da signs ? Ifin any one has been there, they WILL remember those signs. Did'nt feel like going again. Too many angery and mornin' spirits der. Just fished off da rear of a rented boat. Remember da concrete "battleship" at da harbour enterance ? And to think, our folks in da service now don't know a damn thing bout what happened there and honsetly....don't want to know!!!

Dis a damn cryin' shame !!!! :P

In our family we had three in WWI, six in WWII, one in Nam, one in Iraq (he came back in a body bag) and my son in Afghanistan.

I won't let my family forget.

WW

Yup - didn't hear any recognition of that on the radio all day...like the sherriff told Cooper in 'High Noon'..."People just don't seem to care..."

GG ~ :D

Probably since I live out in the country it was on the news all day. Story, showed pictures, and a interview with a survivor on local TV out of Springfield, Missouri. Fellow just said his ship was blown up and he woke up a few days later and was in the hospital for over a month. Didn't even know a thing about Lennon till I read it above. Wasn't even on the news. Oh well, depends where ya live. :D

People say we made a great mistake when we dropped two atomic bombs on Japan. They are right it should have been 2000. The apologists seem to forget about things like the Batan Death March and it’s unmistakable cruelty, the treatment of our POW’s was horrendous at best and an unspeakable hell .The Rape of Nanking and the forcing of thousands of young Korean girls into prostitution showed the moral values of that country and it’s culture. Nothing has changed

No never forgive, never forget.

HTH

People say we made a great mistake when we dropped two atomic bombs on Japan. They are right it should have been 2000. The apologists seem to forget about things like the Batan Death March and it’s unmistakable cruelty, the treatment of our POW’s was horrendous at best and an unspeakable hell .The Rape of Nanking and the forcing of thousands of young Korean girls into prostitution showed the moral values of that country and it’s culture. Nothing has changed

No never forgive, never forget.

HTH

There was lots of coverage in the Seattle and Tacoma papers, much as there is every year. Front page stories, featuring vets.

Sometimes I think folks go looking for something to be mad about, including nonexistent things.

By the way:

"Tell him the war is over".

Is that incident that took place in Montana back in 1876 ever mentioned in today's media on each June 25th? It isn't mentioned up here of course, just wondered if it is in the U.S.

Yep, in this part of the US June 25 comes up every year. Year after year after year.

Archived