SASS Wire Forum

Should I call them about the guarantee?

AAA Duracell coppertops, guaranteed 10 years.  I put new batteries into my bathroom scale. It didn’t work so I eventually researched why. One of the batteries had leaked. I went back to my battery stash and found the box, originally 36, 13 left. I found two good ones and now the scale confirms that I need to lose 10 lbs.  but at least nine of the remaining batteries are leaking. How old is the box?  Says ⓒ2015. So the batteries are not ten years old.

Duracell batteries are the worst to leak and ruin flashlights.....

They will only offer you a coupon toward the purchase of more Duracells when you contact them with the issues....

Edited by Gracos Kid
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gracos Kid said:

Duracell batteries are the worst to leak and ruin flashlights.....

They will only offer you a coupon toward the purchase of more Duracells when you contact them with the issues....

I've found the same, they don't last long if they are even good out of the package! They leak awful compared to others. I've had the best luck lately with the Energizers. 

The Panasonic rechargeable AAA in my phones lasted about 10 years. I replaced them with more Panasonic's from Amazon a year ago. They literally last hours of phone use!

Edited by Eyesa Horg
  • Like 1

I bought a package of Members Mark. That is Sam's club store brand. It said they were good for 10 years.

I went to get a new battery out of the package and discovered that about eight of them had dumped. So I take the package back to Sam's and tell them that I would like my money back.

The lady at returns asked me how long I had had them. I said that they had been purchased after the hurricane (it's amazing, you can live through hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, but once you go through a category 5 it forever after is THE HURRICANE) which was in October of 17 so that had been about 2 years.

She told me that they did not give refunds on something you had had longer than 9 months.

Now if these had been Eveready batteries (which they also sell) I would have gotten in touch with Eveready, but I had no place else to go to for Members Mark.

I was quite annoyed that they sell something guaranteed for 10 years but they will not refund your money after 9 months.

That's almost enough to make you quit buying store brand merchandise. Or at least Members Mark merchandise.

• Like 1

Snip-it_1714230988625.jpg.1474e4c6cc9c35816de16c66f2d4c91b.jpg

551237.thumb.jpg.51bd5f1219bc7e6fa480b34c0a41dcc6.jpg

On the other hand requires no refund.

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You got nothing to lose but time. Go for it, they’ll probably send you a coupon for free batteries or may half off new ones! 

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Now the website say guaranteed 12 years.

seriously, I won’t bother.   )))))

I would, it’s the principle of the matter.  But then I’m retired and thereby have time to do so.

• Like 1

Wouldn't think in today's technology, they could make a battery that doesn't leak. The damn Duracells ruined my Garmin GPS in the course of a year of sitting with brand new Duracells. I've never had a 9V battery leak, so what's so different. Rarely seen one leak in the package either. But install it in an expensive piece of equipment and boom, the corrosion is there!

• Like 2

I've got an old 1950's AA from the Bell System, stone dead, but no corrosion.

54 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Wouldn't think in today's technology, they could make a battery that doesn't leak. The damn Duracells ruined my Garmin GPS in the course of a year of sitting with brand new Duracells. I've never had a 9V battery leak, so what's so different. Rarely seen one leak in the package either. But install it in an expensive piece of equipment and boom, the corrosion is there!

42 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I can’t imagine why 9Vs don’t leak, they are only stacks of six small batteries in series.

The 9V's leak just like the rest of them. I've had them ruin the battery coupler more than once but the battery had been left in the device for way too long. Maybe they just don't leak as often because they have a much better connection with the coupler than just sliding the batteries into slots.

Like everyone else, the Duracell's seem to leak more than any of the rest of them. I'll stick with Energizer batteries.

• Like 2

I quit with alkaline batts years ago. I go to menards and buy North star  nimh aa batts and recharge em.  Like 6 bucks for 4

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I can’t imagine why 9Vs don’t leak, they are only stacks of six small batteries in series.

AAA’s I believe!

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

AAA’s I believe!

food for thought, Alpo type pondering, A and B batteries did once exist, in fact, two different Bs.

if you cut apart a 9V you will see a stack of little bricks.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Like 1

If you cut a 6 volt open - I won't say they are all like this but - quite often there will be four D cells inside.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If you cut a 6 volt open - I won't say they are all like this but - quite often there will be four D cells inside.

I’ve seen that, but they weren’t Ds, longer than Ds.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984