SASS Wire Forum

Question on shooting ranges.

This may be very obvious to many but it's a mystery to me.  Why do some outdoor ranges not allow steel core or magnetic reactive ammo to be used.  A couple of years ago I was with my son and grandsons at an outdoor range in N.C.  and I had brought several pistols , an M1 Garand and an Springfield Armory M1A.  A range officer took out a magnet and tested my ammo and found the 30-06 was reactive to the magnet.  He then, very courteously and even apologetically informed me the 30-06 was not allowed.  We fired everything else and had a very good time.  I never questioned the ruling but it's left me kinda perplexed.  All my 30-06 ammo comes from the CMP and I have fired hundreds of rounds through my M1 Garand in ranges all over Florida with no problem.  

Thanks. 

I don't understand why steel core would not, but stillSTEEL jacketed could hit a rock and create a spark and start a fire.

That is my understanding of why steel jacketed ammunition is not allowed at outdoor ranges.

I suppose if they were using a magnet to identify steel jackets, and the magnet reacted to a steel core, they would just ban that also instead of trying to decide which was jacketed and which was internal.

Edited by Alpo

35 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Here in CA, they are trying to ban ammo at the ranges....

I'd feel sorry for people who still live in California, but so many that I know personally don't bother to vote, won't write letters to anyone, are not NRA members for whatever reason, probably don't belong to any pro-gun groups, and simply sit around and bitch about the conditions there.

I couldn't convince most to change and tired of beating the drum alone and moved out of that once great, but no longer, cess pool.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Steel core can affect target plates and by definition is armor piercing

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Steel core can affect target plates and by definition is armor piercing

Not necessary 

18 USC 921(a)(17):

(B) The term "armor piercing ammunition" means- (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.   In both parts A and B, the regulation is applied to the projectile, in other words, the bullet. Also in parts A and B of the definition, the emphasis is on the use of a bullet that involves a handgun. So the difference between ammunition and armor-piercing ammunition is the designed intent. One describes the intent of the round to be used in a handgun while the other focuses on if that bullet could possibly be used in a handgun. All of this came about with the rise in popularity of AR-15 pistols in which you would still use a .223 round, which is what most AR-15 rifles use. An exception has been made by ATF for certain bullets.

1. Steel or magnetic ammo could be a fire hazard. Also, their insurance company may dictate it. 
2. Steel target damage, if they have steel targets. 

• Like 1

My new indoor range allows up to, but not including 50 BMG.

This includes shotguns and rifles.

It is much closer than my old outdoor range, and does cost a bit more each month, which I save on gas.

The outdoor range is losing money (salaries, I will bet) so they jacked up the annual membership fee, and the daily range fees, and lost me as a member.

Bud Light has paved the way for how to lose money by pissing off customers.