SASS Wire Forum

Leaking Hornady Cyclone rotary wet tumbler

Buckshot Bear

I have a badly leaking Hornady Cyclone rotary wet tumbler, I've contacted Lyman and they wrote back to use Vaseline around the rubber gasket/lid.

This caused a big mess with pins stuck in the Vaseline and now either the Vaseline has reacted to the rubber or its from me trying to screw the lid on as tight as possible but the gasket is so stretched and oversize I can't screw the lid on as it won't catch the threads. 

This is one best things I've ever added to my reloading room, except for the darn leaking problem. 

Unfortunately the rubber gasket Part # LY-7631451 is currently out of stock with the Australian importer and months away for the next delivery.  

Has anyone else had this problem with theirs?

It would fit a bit differently...but could you put an o ring in instead of the flat gasket?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I have a badly leaking Hornady Cyclone rotary wet tumbler, I've contacted Lyman and they wrote back to use Vaseline around the rubber gasket/lid.

This caused a big mess with pins stuck in the Vaseline and now either the Vaseline has reacted to the rubber or its from me trying to screw the lid on as tight as possible but the gasket is so stretched and oversize I can't screw the lid on as it won't catch the threads. 

This is one best things I've ever added to my reloading room, except for the darn leaking problem. 

Unfortunately the rubber gasket Part # LY-7631451 is currently out of stock with the Australian importer and months away for the next delivery.  

Has anyone else had this problem with theirs?

Can you make one from an old inner tube?

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz
  • Like 3

Just now, Buckshot Bear said:

Think I might have to try, the original is 3mm thick.

Would a auto parts store carry sheet rubber gasket material?

Just now, Buckshot Bear said:

When I add to cart though this comes up -

rrr.thumb.JPG.c685e1cf0fbf258caac9eb38d9474b48.JPG

Buy at least 2

• Like 3

And ordered, there was one sitting in a parts bin out back and will be in the mail in the next hour and hopefully get it before Good Friday. I'll just have to order one of these yearly and add the expense in the 'fun' column.

Had the tumbler roughly 2 years and probably the gasket started acting up 6 months ago (it gets used a LOT). The main importer of Lyman (not Safari they are resellers) said they do send out a lot of these as replacements to stores. 

I will make a template out of cardboard with the new one though and see if I can buy some flat sheet to give cutting out a few a go. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.efbaeb8a4bf209e239ae9727ce02cce6.JPG....  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Be sure there are no defects in the area where the gasket sits. If there lightly sand the mating surface to remove the defects. 

The best lubricant is the same soap you are using on the brass.

• Like 2

I sanded the mating surfaces to ensure there are no defects or bumps, then seal the gasket with Dawn dish Soap, which is what I add for tumbling.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Be sure there are no defects in the area where the gasket sits. If there lightly sand the mating surface to remove the defects. 

The best lubricant is the same soap you are using on the brass.

Dave I did a search about a year or more ago where I saw that you mentioned doing that in a thread. I did take some of the moulding dags off with a sharp knife and put the barrel open down on a sheet of wet & dry on some plate glass. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Would a auto parts store carry sheet rubber gasket material?

Buy at least 2

Or a plumbing supply house.

I've had the same results with Vaseline on water filter o rings. Worked once, but then the o ring was all stretched out and wouldn't fit in the groove anymore.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

You can see how much mine has stretched (I'm just holding that with my finger for the pic) its made it virtually impossible to screw the lid on -

20240326_133750.thumb.jpg.e88f870f066be7825aff120f8022c282.jpg

That stretch is because they are using a poor quality rubber. You end up over tightening the lid to get it to seal which causes it to stretch even more.

With the new gasket, make sure it is lubed on both sides with soapy water. Then put the lid on till it is just snug.  See if  it leaks. If it does, tighten down in small increments until it stops leaking. Over tightening can cause it to leak worse than if it is too loose. 

• Like 1

If you use vaseline to lube the rubber the oils in the vaseline will attack the rubber! I have the large Frankford arsenal rotary tumbler and it came with silicone gaskets its 10 years old and I have had no leak problems, if they still come with silicone gasket maybe they are the size you need its 3/8 wide 1/8 thick ID 3 7/8 OD 4 3/4? If you use rubber get some food grade silicone to lube the gaskets. V.D.

I had the same exact problem with mine, oversized and hard to seal almost from day one.  And of course, out of stock or not available.  I ordered a 3 pack set of 6"X6" X 1/8" thick Silicone Ruber smooth gasket material off of Amazon.  Cut a new one using the lid as a pattern, never have had a problem since. 

Brushy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Call Lyman and tell them your drum is warped that is what finally fixed it. Made in China

If it were me?  I'd visit a few hardware stores or auto part stores and buy a piece of rubber gasket material and cut my own new gasket.   

• Like 2