SASS Wire Forum

10 hours ago, Missouri Marshal SASS #50682 said:

Anyone ever heard of it?

Howdy MM!

Heard and read about - Yes.

Seen or held a gun or ammo - No.

Proprietary cartridges made/developed by Lazzeroni.  Expensive guns and expensive ammo.

Think Weatherby but on steroids.

image.png.7abdbcfc84a88ee545bae21505e12b4c.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Howdy MM!

Heard and read about - Yes.

Seen or held a gun or ammo - No.

Proprietary cartridges made/developed by Lazzeroni.  Expensive guns and expensive ammo.

Think Weatherby but on steroids.

image.png.7abdbcfc84a88ee545bae21505e12b4c.png

That level of performance is very Expensive.

Those velocities will generate a lot of copper fouling.

Given that the base of the case is about a half inch in diameter it is considered a very over bore round and therefore throat erosion will make for very short barrel life. 

• Like 1

A guy I hunted with had one...  I always wondered just how dead a deer had to be to warrant one... One trip I shot 3 deer with my .30-30... he shot once, missed... went home mad... After nearly a week of him poo-pooin' my .30-30, I said good riddance.   After my wife once calculated how much a pound of venison cost, I hated to think of what his was...  :ph34r:

• Like 2

I have a friend who I hunt big game with . He has one of the new hot 6.5's. Expensive rifle & ammunition. He got just over 700 rounds thru the barrel and it was done. He put on a new barrel (2500.00) and said hope it last as long as the first one!!!

• Like 2

Purely my opinion…..
The advantages in velocity, energy and high B.C. bullets are seldom realized since, even in the open expanses of the west, 95% or better of all shots on game are under 400 yards.

Not til past 400 yards does any magnum start to significantly pull away from standard cartridges. Even then, the trajectory, ballistic and energy numbers have little to no bearing on lethality from any well placed shot. Bullet design and impact velocity is another matter, with impacts on bone being a crap shoot with most any caliber (primarily due to failure and deflection). That said, most N.A. hunting can be handled with calibers .243-.308 diameters, in cartridges with case capacities of 35-75 grains volume. It begins to be a point of diminishing returns really past 55 or so grains (grains of weight) in my opinion. Plain, vanilla cartridges utilizing ‘06 Springfield or .308 Winchester cases- sized up or down from .243 to .358- are perfectly adequate. A 300-400 yard shot isn’t difficult to pull off with decent optics, and that’s well under these cartridges range in killing ability.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
  • Like 2