SASS Wire Forum

.38 Special BP

I'm not getting any younger

I have been shooting Gunfighter as an El Rey with .45 Colt and 10 gauge 3-1/2 black powder. I have been thinking of lowering to .38 Special and 20 gauge black powder.

Is anyone else doing that?

.38s would be a good choice.  I'm thinking you may want to think about a 12 ga vs the 20. The 12 ga can be loaded light enough and the extra weight of the 12 will help absorb some of the recoil.

Just my 2 cents worth. 

BS

• Like 2

PLUS ONE for Barry Sloe

38s are a good move.  You might also consider Cowboy 45 Special.  160Gr Bullets loaded with APP.  If you can find them now, an even better choice would be 130Gr BARNSTORMER .45s although I don't presently know who is casting the Barnstormer.  C45S cases loaded light are quite comparable to .38s.

Also, PLUS ONE for the 12Ga, loaded light as opposed to a 20Ga.  20Ga can be brutal.  The guns are too light.  Of course, hand loaded,  you can make 20Ga pleasant.  My 12Ga Hammer Doubles with APP and a One Ounce pay load don't beat me up at all.

• Like 2

Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter here.

.38’s: 18-20gr of Schuetzen FFFg under a wonder wad, dab 50/50 beeswax/crisco lube and 125gr  coated bullet.

12ga: 45-50gr Grafs Reenactor, pink claybuster wad(the 3/4oz one) and 7/8oz of lead shot in Remington STS green or gold hulls.

I never really figured out how to get enough BP and shot in a 20ga with a wad to make it work right.

Spect a 12ga would have softer recoil than a 10 or 20 due it's weight. JMHO and I did sleep at Holiday inn Express once!

• Haha 1

I went even one step further and went smokeless.38.

I was shooting .44-40 bp for about 8 years then went to smokeless then went to .38 smokeless. I’m not sorry I did.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I am not getting any younger.

I have been shooting as an El Rey Gunfighter with .45 Colt and 10 gauge 3-1/2" black powder.

As I approach 90, I have been considering a switch to .38 Special and 20 gauge black.powder.

Is anyone doing that?

I’m 76 and about 5 years ago I went from .44-40 BP to .38 smokeless!

165 GR 45 Colt with 25grs of FFG with filler is a soft shooting load.  Cut the 10ga down to 2 3/4" using 1oz shot over 65-75 grs of FFG and yer all set with your current gear.

20ga kicks harder than a 12 because of the light weight.  If the Mighty 10 is too heavy, use a 12 ga.  60-65grs FFG under 1oz of shot.

I switched from Holy Black to smokeless when I hit 68. (I was tired when I got home but didn't like leaving my toys with Holy Black residue overnight.)

I'm 80+ now and still shooting .45s but using the .45 Cowboy Specials, with Titegroup and a 200 gr. LRNFPBB in my SAAs and the .45 Colt brass with 5.0 Gr.Trail Boss and a 250 Gr LRNFPBB for my '73 

I would stick with the 12 Ga. and use lighter loads; either reloads or commercial, were I you. Some of those commercial 20 GA shells hit ya like a swung baseball bat, unless they are loaded down.

• Like 1

I load 3drams powder/shot in 12 gage. Kinda feels right in the hammer double. I pack the original way with nitro/cushion/overshot wads. I started selling tickets to watch me make smoke and the concussion has driven most of the rattlers and homeless away.

I did shoot off my mouth a few months back about shooting ‘champeen’ and wish I had not. LOL I loaded up some 45 colt with almost 40fff  topped off with a 260 gn ticket to boot hill. Tested at the range and moment round went off I heard a voice in my head ask ‘You OK Kemosabe?’  Decided this 79 year old will stick with cowboy loads (most of the time)

• Like 2