SASS Wire Forum

03 Springfield.

I’m in the market for one but haven’t checked the market yet. Gunshow prices seem ridiculous. What might I expect a decent price to be?

Wow!  Prices for them have really gone up.  From what I have seen decent condition examples, at least on various websites such as Guns International, Guns America, and others are running in the $1,500-$2,000 range.  Makes me wish I had kept mine.

Good luck.

I have 3 of them, but all have been sporterized. One in original military clothing will be pricey!

This one is the first one. I got it when I was 12 and of course I had to make it look like all the modern rifles. It has the second stock I made when I was 18.

The second one is a .220 Ackley Improved Swift. All that is left from the Springfield is the action. I made the stock too.

Springfield 003.jpg

220 Imp Swift with Chrono.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

'03 or '03A3?

• Like 2

wish you had been looking back when i was selling off my collection , everything from the 03 , to the 03mod , to the 03A3 and 03A4 , as well as the pederson device [not the unit the rifle as modified] , i had some nice ones , back then most were under 1K , but today as mentioned 1.5-2K is not uncommon , and the M1905 bayonets are no longer cheap either , 

then there was the garand and the carbine and on any on........

you might try the CMP i dont know what they are currently selling but you might get in cheaper 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, watab kid said:

wish you had been looking back when i was selling off my collection , everything from the 03 , to the 03mod , to the 03A3 and 03A4 , as well as the pederson device [not the unit the rifle as modified] , i had some nice ones , back then most were under 1K , but today as mentioned 1.5-2K is not uncommon , and the M1905 bayonets are no longer cheap either , 

then there was the garand and the carbine and on any on........

you might try the CMP i dont know what they are currently selling but you might get in cheaper 

I stupidly let a Mark 1 go - complete and correct.  Never had the device, but somewhere I have the case for it.

wow - if you had the case you had more than i could find , my mk I went to a good home tho , as did all my others , but i miss them sometimes , but i miss most everything from my US longarms collection on occasion , glad i never parted with all the handguns 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, watab kid said:

wow - if you had the case you had more than i could find , my mk I went to a good home tho , as did all my others , but i miss them sometimes , but i miss most everything from my US longarms collection on occasion , glad i never parted with all the handguns 

Big mistake to get rid of my old U.S. Military Rifles, I did replace them with a couple of expensive Colts, but I still miss them as you do.

Not knowing much about rifles, especially military firearms, I was wondering if an '03 is similar to the rifle carried by Sgt. Alvin York?  Just got through a great movie about him that I taped from the AMC channel.  Gary Cooper was great.  The rifle in the movie is a bolt action.  Thanks in advance for the answer.

58 minutes ago, Sundog said:

Not knowing much about rifles, especially military firearms, I was wondering if an '03 is similar to the rifle carried by Sgt. Alvin York?  Just got through a great movie about him that I taped from the AMC channel.  Gary Cooper was great.  The rifle in the movie is a bolt action.  Thanks in advance for the answer.

Can't recall the source, but I think Sgt. York had a P 17 in real life.

10 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Can't recall the source, but I think Sgt. York had a P 17 in real life.

In the movie York uses a 1903 Springfield and several lugers.  In reality York used an Enfield 17 and a Colt 1911.  They used Lugers instead of the 1911 because at the time they could not figure out how to make the 1911 cycle with blanks.  I have no idea why they used 03' instead of Enfields, though.

• Like 1

If you are going to shoot an '03, be sure it is not a low-number receiver. Do not shoot rifles made at Springfield with serial numbers below 800,000 and those made at Rock Island with serial number below 285, 507 or thereabouts! Those under those numbers will have brittle receivers and could shatter!

Ref. "Hatcher's Notebook".

On 2/24/2024 at 8:17 PM, Rip Snorter said:

Big mistake to get rid of my old U.S. Military Rifles, I did replace them with a couple of expensive Colts, but I still miss them as you do.

exactly as i did , and yes the regrets are there but i have less to store , it got to the point where i had so much a lot of it never saw the light of day on a regular basis - too much neglect  canceled the regret , im certain most have much more attention than i ever gave them , ive seen many of them since , 

• Like 1