SASS Wire Forum

shot timers for practice

KyGriz

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it thru the search....   does anyone use a shot timer for practice that's an app on their phone?  there used to bee several free ones that people liked but they are not available anymore.  Any preferred ones or even preferred stand alone timer suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

I bought a pair of Competition Electronics Pro-Timer IIIs to put on the first cowboy shoots in North Texas back in 1990.  Still works... now if only I had the ambition to practice! :ph34r:  Plus, I need to fix one of 'em!   My son has the PACT Club Timer III... if only he'd practice!  :ph34r:  Neither are a inexpensive investment, but... except for the broken wire in one of mine, they seemingly last a long time!

I favor PACT.  Both good and often different from club to club.  One beeps on release of button, other at press of button.  Of course for practice you can set  pars, delays, etc.

• Like 2

Agree with Billy, EXCEPT..... mine is the Competition Electronic model.

I use it with a 'random' start beep and I also use it with the 'PAR' time function set for different time frames.   Works great

and has been greatly abused and still works perfect.

..........Widder

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

...and has been greatly abused and still works perfect....

you talking about repeatedly slapping it to stop it during practice? :D

I bought a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II off the Wire a couple years ago with intent to practice, but uh, sort of never got around to it. :)

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Agree with Billy, EXCEPT..... mine is the Competition Electronic model.

I use it with a 'random' start beep and I also use it with the 'PAR' time function set for different time frames.   Works great

and has been greatly abused and still works perfect.

..........Widder

Yea, we can set that par to 30 seconds for 10-10-4 practice. Wait, that was more than a few years ago, that average don't get you many buckles these days.:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had one of the free ones that I downloaded to my phone.  Worked pretty well for a while, and then for some unknown reason it got where I could not hear the starting beep.  It actually had most of the functions of the Competition Electric timer that i finally bought to replace it.  Most of the ones I've seen in the app store are free or only a couple of bucks to purchase.  Download one and see how it works for you.

52 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Yea, we can set that par to 30 seconds for 10-10-4 practice. Wait, that was more than a few years ago, that average don't get you many buckles these days.:D

Billy,

I set mine at 10 seconds.

Starting with hands at side (default), at the beep, I draw pistols and do a 10 shot sequence (no dumps).   Then reholster, pick up SG

for SIX shots (all pistol and SG rounds are dry fire only).   Not often, but I can beat the 10.0 PAR a few times during the evening

practice.    

More than anything, I've learned NOT to try and rush my shots just for the sole purpose of beating the PAR time.   Its helps me

stay focus on technique and when the technique goes well, the total time goes well.   And actually, my biggest gremlin 

is reholstering, believe it or not.   Its a good practice training to shoot the pistols first and then reholster quickly to transition

to the SG or rifle.

Abilene:  yea, I use to slap the timer but I don't do it any longer.   If anything, my dry fire practice has become a good

Cardio exercise, of which I needed it badly since open heart surgery 3+ years ago.

..........Widder

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Billy,

I set mine at 10 seconds.

Starting with hands at side (default), at the beep, I draw pistols and do a 10 shot sequence (no dumps).   Then reholster, pick up SG

for SIX shots (all pistol and SG rounds are dry fire only).   Not often, but I can beat the 10.0 PAR a few times during the evening

practice.    

More than anything, I've learned NOT to try and rush my shots just for the sole purpose of beating the PAR time.   Its helps me

stay focus on technique and when the technique goes well, the total time goes well.   And actually, my biggest gremlin 

is reholstering, believe it or not.   Its a good practice training to shoot the pistols first and then reholster quickly to transition

to the SG or rifle.

Abilene:  yea, I use to slap the timer but I don't do it any longer.   If anything, my dry fire practice has become a good

Cardio exercise, of which I needed it badly since open heart surgery 3+ years ago.

..........Widder

W,

I certainly understand the holstering issue.  Seems to me no how much I practice it, there are still days it is not to perfection.  Goes back to longtime asked question, "Do I look it in or not?".  Not that looking it in is 100% a given, but close.  And, with little loss in time.  I would like to think that left and right are 99.9% perfect in the "no look" but I know better.  When "the for-real beep" goes off, lots can happen.  And, it is not just an "age thing".

bb

I like the slap method but know it can be additional time of  .40-.50

• Like 2

I use an AMG timer and it has settings to pick up even for dry fire practice.  www.amg-lab.com

• Like 3

+1 for AMG LAB, I love mine with the OLED display! By connecting via BT to your tablet or phone you can transfer the times directly to Practiscore.

You can set 5 presets and easy change between those. I use my presets as follows:

1. Timing CAS (rather high sensitivity, no delay, no par times, ....)
  2. Timing IPSC indoors (low sensitivity, adjusted echo times, ...)
  3. Timing IPSC outdoors (mid sensitivity, ...)
  4. Life fire practice without TO (random delay, ...)
  5. Dry fire practice (extremely high sensitivity, random delay, par times, ...)

If you just want to practice dry fire an app on your phone is sufficient.

• Like 2

Practice? Oh yeah, monthlies. :D

Unless I'm wrong, I think what the OP is looking for is a live-fire timer to load on his phone.

I don't think he's looking for a separate timer, even if you can connect it to a phone or tablet.

Edited by The Rainmaker, SASS #11631
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Practice? Oh yeah, monthlies. :D

Unless I'm wrong, I think what the OP is looking for is a live-fire timer to load on his phone.

I don't think he's looking for a separate timer, even if you can connect it to a phone or tablet.

Are they made for flip phones?  Seriously, that is what I carry.  I think Sassy would refer to that as being "dated".  Beats box phones, which around this area was small step above no mobile phone at all.

22 hours ago, KyGriz said:

Any preferred ones or even preferred stand alone timer suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Howdy Rainmaker.

The OP also put this in his inquiry. ^^^^^

Thats the only reason I posted anything about the Competition model.

Hope you are planning on the TN State.   I requested to be on a posse with Y'all.

..........Widder

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

you talking about repeatedly slapping it to stop it during practice? :D

I bought a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II off the Wire a couple years ago with intent to practice, but uh, sort of never got around to it. :)

I bought a new Competition Electronics Pro 3 years ago and it is still new in the box sitting right here on my desk. LOL 

TM

• Haha 1

I use this app when I dry fire. I used to use a timer but I found this to be more convenient plus I wasn’t using up the wife’s 9 volt batteries. :-)

1C100642-1422-4648-9EA7-583802B179E3.jpeg

• Like 1

PRACTICE??  Unfamiliar word.  I'll have to look it up later.  I think I've heard it before though.  Still need to look it up.  "Dry Fire" I know about.  Wears out yer gunz.  I don't wanna do dat.  'Sides, I'm getting well too old fer dat sorta stuff.

• Like 1