SASS Wire Forum

Question for Frontier Cartridge shooters

DeaconKC

On 2/13/2024 at 11:34 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Can you use them with smokeless? I'm assuming you can. Seems like they'd shuck better than the plastic hulls. Do they?

Never seen anyone use the brass shells with smokeless… anyone? 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 2

No color bullets or nickel brass for me. I use a sharpie to mark the head stamp side of the case with an X for BP, a single slash for subs, and nothing for smokeless. They’re easy to mark once loaded into those 50 or 100-count boxes nose down. Haven’t had a mixup in the 14 years I’ve been loading them. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 11:08 PM, DeaconKC said:

Okay, mulling over trying out FC and if I do, I guess I would use the Magtech brass shotgun shells for the shotgun part. How do these hold up with black powder subs? How does APP work for these?

Part 2, would there be an advantage to using nickel cases with APP?

APP will work in brass shotshells.  I loaded my first ones with Goex... but didn't get enough compression and they sorta went "poof" instead of "pow".  I can't think of an advantage to using nickel cases, except for identification.  I keep my ammo in GI cans and simply put a label on the can to identify what's inside.  

• Like 1

I use Winchester primers that come in flat trays.  Use to use Magic Marker to paint them black before loading.  People at loading table would point out, "That one lost its primer.",  No, and show them. I don't bother any longer as Mary's loads always have "lip stick", bullets and mine are straight up cast. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Never seen anyone use the brass shells with smokeless… anyone? 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Well chickens like shiny things so ole TW might just come upon a new approach. ;)

Kajun

• Haha 2

Actually, I haven't witnessed it personally.  However, one of our more prolific contributors (H.K. Uriah) claims to have been using smokeless in his Magtech 12Ga brass hulls for years.  I do know, MagTech DOES NOT recommend Smokeless in their brass hulls.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Actually, I haven't witnessed it personally.  However, one of our more prolific contributors (H.K. Uriah) claims to have been using smokeless in his Magtech 12Ga brass hulls for years.  I do know, MagTech DOES NOT recommend Smokeless in their brass hulls.

Besides,  why worry about smokeless loads in Frontier Cartrege? 

7 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Well chickens like shiny things so ole TW might just come upon a new approach. ;)

Kajun

I wonder if'n we loaded up a bunch for @Tennessee williams with some extra Nitroglycerine in them? You know them Wile E. Coyote ACME Special ones?

• Haha 8

On 2/16/2024 at 3:10 PM, DeaconKC said:

I wonder if'n we loaded up a bunch for @Tennessee williams with some extra Nitroglycerine in them? You know them Wile E. Coyote ACME Special ones?

Fun fact. Widder used to have dark colored hair. But, one year I loaded Widder some shotshells to use at the TN State speed shotgun match. Well, there was 1 out of about 500 I put some super high powerful blackpowder in. His hair had turned white about 20 minutes after he fired that one. The TO got the shakes and 3 soiled doves found Jesus and took up a mission trip to Zimbabwe.

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Fun fact. Widder used to have dark colored hair. But, one year I loaded Widder some shotshells to use at the TN State speed shotgun match. Well, there was 1 out of about 500 I put some super high powerful blackpowder in. His hair had turned white about 20 minutes after he fired that one. The TO got the shakes and 3 soiled doves found Jesus and took up a mission trip to Zimbabwe.

This has to be true, not even a State Champion liar could make up something that good…

• Haha 6

Now you know NOT to trust TW, especially when he tells ya that He'll 'sponsor' you in the Speed SG side match.

BUT, here's what really happened, beyond the mission trip story.

I was going up against Red Knee and Missouri Traveler.  Those two hombres had teamed up and were putting a whooping on me

with their 97's.

Then it happened.   The shot heard clear around the dance hall stage.   Red Knee and Traveler started laughing so much they were

unable to run their 97's the rest of the day and I ended up winning Speed 97.  

Hey, shooting fast ain't all skill.  Sometimes, a little LUCK helps!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. - I no longer shoot ANYTHING that is loaded up by TW.

..........Widder

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I use Lee drum dispenser  with Black MZ.  I use different brands of brass to differentiate between rifles loads, pistol loads and smokeless. My shotgun loads use Magtech brass or various paper hulls for black powder and plastic for smokeless.

• Thanks 1