SASS Wire Forum

I wonder if that's just a Louisiana law?

Alpo

Or if other places have a similar one.

Among the list of places in Louisiana where you cannot carry your concealed weapon is a parade. And I assume that is strictly because of Mardi Gras. They have big parades and people go crazy and get drunk and raise hell, so you're not allowed to carry a gun there.

It's been a while since I've been to a parade, but I carried then. And if I went to a Christmas parade or 4th of July parade or whatever here in my hometown, I would carry today. But we don't have a law forbidding carry at a parade. Not in Florida.

A concealed weapon permit is just that. (concealed )

Nobody knows you have it

I carry everywhere everyday period. 

I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6 !

Just Sayin Rooster. 

• Thanks 1

last i looked thats not on MN list of non-carry either , but , if your drinking there is a clause no mater where you might carry so mardi gras or other events it might be wise ...................

In Ohio we have Constitutional carry (no permit) and also open carry. I think you’d be okay carrying in a parade depending on who’s running the parade. For instance, there’s No Gun signs on some private businesses so maybe the parade could do the same. 

3 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Does it differentiate between ‘in’ a parade and ‘watching’ a parade?

Good question ! I would think parade sponsors could forbid carrying but not watching it since you would be on a public street which is allowed,  in Ohio anyway.

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Does it differentiate between ‘in’ a parade and ‘watching’ a parade?

The law specifies 11 different places where you cannot carry.

>N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

(1) A law enforcement office, station, or building.

(2) A detention facility, prison, or jail.

(3) A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom.

(4) A polling place.

(5) A municipal building or other public building or structure, only if the building or structure is utilized as the meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.

(6) The state capitol building.

(7) Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage.

(8) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship, eligible for qualification as a tax-exempt organization under 26 U.S.C. 501, unless authorized by the person who has authority over the administration of the church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship.

(9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.

(10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

(11) Any school, school campus, or school bus as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.<

I suppose you could argue that you were not "in" the parade since you were not out walking in the street with the bands or on a float, but you were just on the sidewalk watching it. And you could argue that in the courtroom during your trial. But I bet you would still go spend the night in the gray bar hotel.

Florida does not allow you to carry into a bar. At first I thought that meant you could not carry into a place that sold liquor for consumption on the premises. Go to a fancy restaurant that serves wine with your meal and you couldn't carry. So I wrote to Tallahassee and asked them. And I also asked if that meant you could not carry it to a professional ball game because they sell beer for consumption in the stands.

They replied that a bar was specifically a place that made its money from selling booze, and was different from a restaurant that happened to sell liquor. But I still couldn't go to the ball game because it's illegal to carry a gun at a professional sporting event in Florida.

I mentioned this because I noticed there's no prohibition against carrying to a Saints game.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Florida does not allow you to carry into a bar. At first I thought that meant you could not carry into a place that sold liquor for consumption on the premises. Go to a fancy restaurant that serves wine with your meal and you couldn't carry. So I wrote to Tallahassee and asked them. And I also asked if that meant you could not carry it to a professional ball game because they sell beer for consumption in the stands.

They replied that a bar was specifically a place that made its money from selling booze, and was different from a restaurant that happened to sell liquor. But I still couldn't go to the ball game because it's illegal to carry a gun at a professional sporting event in Florida.

I mentioned this because I noticed there's no prohibition against carrying to a Saints game.

In Ohio I can go into a bar or restaurant as long as I'm not drinking and they don't have a NO Gun sign.

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The statement about the bar is somewhat misleading and incorrect. In Florida, you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol however you are not allowed to go to or thru the "bar area". Most restaurants have a distinct "bar area" that usually has a border type wall or is otherwise noticeable. While I have never seen signs that designate the "bar area", common sense tell me that it's the area in the restaurant solely designed for serving alcohol.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

The statement about the bar is somewhat misleading and incorrect. In Florida, you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol however you are not allowed to go to or thru the "bar area". Most restaurants have a distinct "bar area" that usually has a border type wall or is otherwise noticeable. While I have never seen signs that designate the "bar area", common sense tell me that it's the area in the restaurant solely designed for serving alcohol.

This is true. You can go to some place like Applebee's or TGI Fridays or the Olive Garden. They all three are restaurants, making their money from selling food. They all three have a license to dispense hard liquor for consumption on the premises. And they all three have a specific section set aside in their establishment that is "the bar". And you can sit at your table in the restaurant and order a drink, but you cannot go in the bar area while you are carrying.

14 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

IIRC, in Florida there is also no prohibition against drinking while carrying

You are correct. It is not illegal to drink while carrying however it is illegal to use the gun while you are under the influence. "Using the gun", under that statute, means shooting it or having it in your hand while it is loaded.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2020/0790.151

I could not, however, find anywhere where it specified what "under the influence of alcohol" meant. I presume they would give you a breathalyzer the same as if you were suspected of driving under the influence. I further presume that it is the same blood alcohol level. But I couldn't find that written down.

It does save itSAY THAT that prohibition does not apply for self-defense. So if you are knee-walking commode-hugging drunk, when the guy steps in front of you with a knife and wants your money, and you blow him away, it was legal.

Edited by Alpo
  • Like 1

Did they have a big Klan presence in Louisiana?

Just seems more likely to me that it's because of Mardi Gras, where everybody is drunk and crazy.

I wonder if Louisiana has a mask law? A disguise law?

Those were dreamed up in most States specifically to fight the Klan. And they had the added benefit of giving the police something to arrest transvestites for.

The #9 listed is a first line parade. Planned and permitted. a second line parade just kinda happens.

The no defined 'under the influence' means tumble ANY number on the bat machine and you are in trouble.

If alcohol is in your system you are under the influence.  The impaired driving laws DEFINE where enforcement starts.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

In Texas the they define a bar as an establishment that derives more than 50% of its revenue from alcohol sales. In those establishments open or concealed carry is prohibited.

Sign looks like this. To be valid the lettering and sign have to be a certain minimum size.

image.png.77abe8b8d8d8d4ae93f096be316ef8ee.png

If 50% or less you can carry unless they post a legal 30.05 ( constitutional carry) 30.06 (concealed carry) or 30.07 (open carry) signage. The wording and minimum size of the lettering is very specific. If the sign fails to meet the state requirements it is considered invalid. In looking for the below pictures I saw several signs for sale that did not comply with the Texas statute.

image.png.ce995be71cbef44451e8748630731ae9.png  image.png.1e41f2a785ef0e25edeb994b383ae164.png  image.png.161fd93dceb9889f885057d381df61f3.png

It is important to note that the 30.05 sign does not prohibit those that with a valid License to Carry (LTC) from carrying. It only prohibits those without an LTC from carrying. If you want to prohibit anyone from carrying on your premises you have to post all three signs.  The minimum size for each sign is 18" X 24". To post all three signs would require 9 sq ft of of wall or window space and have to be conspicuously posted at all entrances. 

It is important to note that if the establishment asks you to leave you have to do so with or without a sign.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

conspicuously posted at all entrances

My brother told me about a place he went to in Dallas. They had the 30-06 sign posted next to the bathroom. They didn't have one on the front door, or on the side door. Just on the bathroom.

whiffmonkey.gif.e2701a6c5b732f74c9c4ee672e1a0e9a.gif

Here in Tennessee, we can still carry while the Mardi Gras parade is in process.

Actually, it don't matter what's going on down in New Orleans, we can still carry here in Tennessee.

:lol:

..........Widder

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 10:04 AM, Alpo said:

Did they have a big Klan presence in Louisiana?

Just seems more likely to me that it's because of Mardi Gras, where everybody is drunk and crazy.

I wonder if Louisiana has a mask law? A disguise law?

Those were dreamed up in most States specifically to fight the Klan. And they had the added benefit of giving the police something to arrest transvestites for.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/books/life-of-a-klansman-chronicles-new-orleans-legacy-of-white-supremacy-and-violence/article_d9350f78-d1d8-11ea-8df8-e7aa70152c74.html

• Like 1

my question might be WHY ? if someone has passed the background check [ which i think s unconstitutional] and has been issued a permit to carry [[i think thats unconstitutional as well] why would they be further restricted by where they can carry -- i abide by our laws even tho i think they are unconstitutional , , im not wanting bad things to happen ever , i sometimes think they might be stopped or prevented by the thought the public is armed and ready , just my thinking here , ill be interested to see what comes out in the TX church shooting in the end , 

im not a fan of joel but ive not got anything against him either , im glad to know he had a security force in place , i think they prevented this being a lot worse than it was , 

I've been trying to figure out why it's illegal in, I believe, all 50 states, to carry at a polling place.

Y'all remember when the Kenyan was running the first time, and black thugs showed up at the polling places to run off white voters. I don't really see a difference in that and in Klansmen showing up at the polling places to run off black voters 60 years earlier.

But in neither case could the voters defend themselves against the armed thugs, because it was illegal for them to carry.

• Like 1

ya gotta remember in the past there were attepts to prevent certain folks from voting , those laws are in place to prevent the intimidation of legal voters from voting , 'a wise thing i think , all legal voters should get to vote .....

vote once , no non-citizens should get to vote , no dead people should get to vote , no one that cant speak english should get to vote - there should not be a :coach" that facilitates a vote , we all should vote on the same day and in the correct designated location , YOU CAN DO IT , and we should have to produce verification of eligibility to vote , today its a given that you have your "papers" - you need them for everything else , why not to vote ? except to skew the ballot box like some third world country would do , 

• Like 1

We just got back from a week at Mardi Gras.

I was truly amazed at how well behaved everybody was, despite the TREMENDOUS amount of noise and crowds.
A shoot-out at Mardi Gras would hit a lot of bystanders.

you are right about that - all those people in that close proximity , stray bullets would hit a mark easily , not the place for the stupid to be shooting for any reason whatsoever , 

my folks attended back when 1960s - 1970s iirc , they said there were a lot of stumbling drunks but mostly good natured folks , my wife was there in late 1980s she said much the same but mentioned a lot of police force in evidence , i was only there in the mid 60s and i was drinking there so im biased about the behavior ,,,seemed everyone was having fun ,