SASS Wire Forum

I wonder who sorts the mailman's deliveries?

Alpo

I am signed up with a service with the post office. Everyday that I will receive mail - I don't get mail everyday - I get an email telling me that I have mail, including a photograph of each piece. Sometimes there will be something that says "a piece of mail that we do not have a picture was included". That will normally be something large, like a magazine.

So this morning I opened my email and I have a piece of mail coming from the county jail. Huh. But I do not recognize the name of the inmate up there in the return address block. I looked down at the TO section, and it is neither my name nor my address.

Occasionally I have gotten an email telling me that I have a letter coming for SOME OTHER PERSON at THE WRONG ADDRESS, but I don't get that. So apparently the mailman catches that. Other times I have gotten mail to the wrong person at the wrong address. Sometimes it's the right number but the wrong street, and sometimes it's the right street but the wrong number. If it's close enough I normally walk it down and give it to them. But since occasionally I get the wrong mail I figured that someone besides the mailman packs it for that day.

Just don't know who.

I've never heard of this service. Obviously, it's offered by the USPS but how did you apply for it and is it a free service? My gal would be interested in it.

37 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've never heard of this service. Obviously, it's offered by the USPS but how did you apply for it and is it a free service? My gal would be interested in it.

It is free, go onto the USPS Web site and sign up. It's called " informed delivery"

https://www.usps.com/manage/informed-delivery.htm

Being of a suspicious mind, just where and how long are these images store?  I'm sure they didn't set up this system for my convenience.  Are they transferred to that big NSA database out west that George Bush built?  Hmmmm

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I am signed up with a service with the post office. Everyday that I will receive mail - I don't get mail everyday - I get an email telling me that I have mail, including a photograph of each piece. Sometimes there will be something that says "a piece of mail that we do not have a picture was included". That will normally be something large, like a magazine.

So this morning I opened my email and I have a piece of mail coming from the county jail. Huh. But I do not recognize the name of the inmate up there in the return address block. I looked down at the TO section, and it is neither my name nor my address.

Occasionally I have gotten an email telling me that I have a letter coming for SOME OTHER PERSON at THE WRONG ADDRESS, but I don't get that. So apparently the mailman catches that. Other times I have gotten mail to the wrong person at the wrong address. Sometimes it's the right number but the wrong street, and sometimes it's the right street but the wrong number. If it's close enough I normally walk it down and give it to them. But since occasionally I get the wrong mail I figured that someone besides the mailman packs it for that day.

Just don't know who.

I’ve been astounded at some of the wrong mail we’ve gotten at our warehouse in Houston!! It’s like no one ever looks at it! Also wondered how much of our mail was delivered to someone else! And trashed .

25 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Being of a suspicious mind, just where and how long are these images store?  I'm sure they didn't set up this system for my convenience.  Are they transferred to that big NSA database out west that George Bush built?  Hmmmm

Reasonable assumption they keep em and you have no choice! So may as well use them to your convenience. My mail box is up the road from my drive and about 1200' from the house; so it saves me the walk if there is nothing there!

This Christmas, I received a misdelivered Christmas card 3 times!

The address contained 4 of the 5 digits of my address but the street was nowhere near the same name as mine. It was the same city and zip code though.

The first time, I just put it back in my mail box. The second time, I exaggerated the first letter of the recipients name thinking the PO saw it as the number one which would have matched the numerical part of my address. It was a J. The third time it came back, I just took it a few miles down the road to the correct address.:wacko:

6 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

And a German company, Siemens makes all their sorting equipment and I am sure they keep you info to turn in to the UN (Illuminati) :lol:

Actually I have that USPS service too. It’s pretty spotty for me, but I don’t live near a Megopolis any longer. 

I wonder how you are supposed to mark the envelope when they send you the wrong mail.

Let's say I live at 123 Elm Street. And they send me Utah Bob's mail, but it's addressed to 123 Elm Street. That one's simple. I mark it NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS, and put it back in the box with the flag up.

But the letter that arrived today, from the county jail, was addressed to 123 Maple Street.

I don't want to put NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS because for all I know they actually live at 123 Maple Street. The sender didn't screw up. Post office did.

So I marked it WRONG ADDRESS, put it back in the box and put the flag up.

If they lived close - within a couple of blocks maybe - I would just take it over there. But Maple Street is about 5 miles away. I don't get paid to deliver the mail.

I've never put something like that back in the box. Every time I've got someone else's mail they've been within a couple of blocks and I just took it to them. What is the correct procedure for trying to get the post office to do their job and deliver it to where it's supposed to go?

The street I live on is Alto Pl. Every year we get Christmas deliveries for somebody at the same number on Los Altos Ave., but even a different Zip Code. My mailman and I have a "How are you today" relationship since if I see him across the street I sometimes get out there to collect the mail from him. So I met him at the box, showed him the incorrect mail and let him take it from there.

I get mail for other people with my address on it. I mark it “not at this address” and put it back out there.
One day I asked the postman why he gives us mail that’s obviously not for us. He said “If it has this address I have to deliver it.”

I said “And you can tote it around to take it back to the post office then.” and I smiled. 

I have noticed recently that we get a lot less mail that doesn’t have our name on it. 

45 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I get mail for other people with my address on it. I mark it “not at this address” and put it back out there.
One day I asked the postman why he gives us mail that’s obviously not for us. He said “If it has this address I have to deliver it.”

I said “And you can tote it around to take it back to the post office then.” and I smiled. 

I have noticed recently that we get a lot less mail that doesn’t have our name on it. 

One thing they've done here is put small labels with the last name of anybody who gets mail here on the inside of the door of the box. When I told him about that other address' mail coming here he looked at the names, and we never got any more of their mail. 

23 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

put small labels with the last name of anybody who gets mail here on the inside of the door of the box

Yeah, they've done that here too. I still get other people's mail. I don't think they look at the name. Based on what I got today, I don't even think they look at the address.

my friend that works at the postal service says its mostly done by machine these days , ive had the guy in the truck deliver mine to both neighbors and theirs to me , can usually sort it all out but its a PITA 

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Yeah, they've done that here too. I still get other people's mail. I don't think they look at the name. Based on what I got today, I don't even think they look at the address.

Hey, I had FedEx deliver my S&W327 Night Guard to a lady up the street when I lived Oregon. 
I am glad she was honest. She told me her husband would like to buy it if I ever sold it. So I guess they were checking it out before she brought it over. 

Archived