SASS Wire Forum

Curious if the .32-20 (.32 WCF) is popular in rifle or revolver with the CAS crowd??

RIDGE WALKER

Although I have been a SASS member for several years, I am not very active due to my current location.

Was wondering if the .32-20 round is used very often either in lever guns or revolvers for CAS??

Edited by RIDGE WALKER

• RIDGE WALKER changed the title to Curious if the .32-20 (.32 WCF) is popular in rifle or revolver with the CAS crowd??

I like the round and shot it a number of matches in Marlin 1894 rifle.  But my 32WCF rifles are old 1900 or older and no tricked out like the later models. I recently got an old first generation Colt SAA in 32WCF but not shot it in a match.   Also an early Winchester 1892.  Trouble is it's hard to find brass right now and I'm not sure you can find any modern guns to shoot them through.  

597bddacbc3f8_Marlin189432WCFJuly2017.jpg.1cc52b168aef5998590bdb7c97a064c2.jpg32WCFColtfirstgenerationOctober202023.jpg.3a06f20cc54565e9cef9947c76f0013c.jpg

• Like 1

Uberti makes SAA clones  and 1866/1873 Winchesters in 32-20. In my pistol rotation, I do shoot Uberti Cattlemen in that caliber.

La Sombra

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

... In my pistol rotation...

La Sombra

Ah, a man of like mind.  Variety is good.    To answer the original question, no it is not common in CAS.  Sure, a few people shoot it, but not many.  I shoot an old '92 carbine and a Colt in .32 but only on occasion.  I have an Uberti '73 Deluxe that I've been trying to work out extraction problems to make it my BP rifle.

1 hour ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

I have a 1892 Winchester in 32-20. It’s fun, but it can be hard to score as the projectiles don’t “clank” the targets very loud.

I hear that said often. I shoot a 100 grain bullet and full case of black powder in rifle.  I feel they make at least as much clang as mouse phart loads in 38s.  We shoot at one range where they have buffaloes set way out there.  My loads reach the targets noticeable faster than the 38 loads others are using.  Like putt, wait for it, wait,  dink. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a set of Taylor Uberti pistols, and 3 rifles, original Win 92, Browning 53, and Uberti 1873, in 32-20. I shoot them often and enjoy them very much. That old folk tale of shooting the 32-20 and having to wait for a faint ding on the steel is just that an folk tale unless you are shooting mouse fart loads. The factory ballistic performance of the 32-20 with 100 gr bullet (1200 ft/sec & 325 Ft lbs of energy), and the 38 Special with 125 gr bullet (1000 ft/sec & 275 Ft lbs of energy), are almost identical. The problem these days is you can't find new brass. Luckily I bought some before the shortage and still have about 1200 rounds of new brass left along with about 300 rounds loaded.

• Like 1

My BP rifle is a Uberti 32-20. Full case of BP and 115gr bullet will take down any knockdown and makes plenty of smoke.  Being a bottleneck cartridge, action stays clean. Because Uberti uses the 38 special bolt and carrier, feeding and extraction can be a problem.  I use big lube bullets and had Shotgun Boogie modify my bolt with his spring extractor and lower the extractor to correct for the  difference in cartridge diameter between the 38 special bolt and 32-20 cartridge.  

Also have a Colt 3rd gen and US Firearm revolvers that I use occasionally.  

• Like 1

Our 32-20's include three original Colt lightning rifles, one pair of Taylor revolvers, and until just recently sold, a pair of Ruger vaqueros. No problem what so ever hearing the clang, unless it is a miss. Fun to shoot, especially with the Colt rifles set up for CAS.

Try the caliber, you will like it.

• Like 2

32-20 is my favorite cartridge. In my club I am the only person shooting it. I have 1873 Carbine and a old EMF 7 1/2” barrel revolver that I have shot for many years. Last year I brought a Uberti 4 3/4” barrel revolver so I could have a pair. Mismatched but I am only in it for the fun.

However I quit shooting the carbine. The boards on the floor of some stages have gaps between them that allows brass to fall though and is not recoverable. 32-20 brass is hard to come by and expensive.

The 32-20 was a popular hunting cartridge back in the late 1800’s and well into the 1900’s. So much that there were two commercial different loads. A High Velocity cartridge intended for use in rifles and came with a warning not to use in a handgun and lower velocity (pressure) round for handguns. The cylinder walls on my Colt clones are so thick I question if this warning would apply to todays clones made of modern steel. 

It is a good thing that the Internet ‘xperts and gun ‘righters weren’t around back then to tell folks that the cartridge was too underpowered when deer hunting. Yet a according to the ‘xperts the .223/5.56 cartridge is considered to be a adequate for deer. Go figure.

Edited by Seldom Seen #16162
  • Like 1

Legal, but not popular. Virtually every member of SASS who uses it regularly has posted above.

I have three full-size Cattlemen .32-20's and a Marlin CCLTD rifle, and probably haven't shot any of them in five years anyway.

I quite enjoy shooting the .32-20.  But I have to admit that when I do, I am usually the only guy at the match doing so.

I find to it be a very pleasant round to shoot, and I have, what I think, are some really cool guns for the caliber.

My .32-20 "journey" began with a Winchester 73.

Wincherster733220.thumb.JPG.7542b7baafa214307676c7c27d297954.JPG

This was the first SASS type Winchester I bought.  Picked it up in my early days in the game.  With a 24" barrel, it letters to 1903.  For a while, it was my favorite SASS rifle.  I still enjoy using it from time to time.

Then next gun I got in the caliber was a Colt SAA.Colt7-123220.thumb.JPG.38f03d5c0d416bfce3b25a3e79226ac5.JPG

This gun letters to 1881, and started life as a .38-40.   The change is probably why I got it so cheap.  A very nice shooter.

Next was another Colt.
Colt5-123220.thumb.JPG.2afcda17272bf5ce903e0848eb03f964.JPG

This is a fairly generic 3rd Generation made in 2005.   My research has told me that Colt is the only gun maker that made single action revolvers in this caliber.  As far as I can determine, S&W, Remington, Merwin & Hulbert, and nobody else did so.   There are Colt clones on market today in the caliber, and I believe the Ruger comes in it as well.  In my early days with SASS, Taylors advertised a 58 Remington converted to it, but I have never seen one.  So if you want a .32-20, it's pretty much Colt (or copy thereof) of Ruger.

At first, I thought this would be the end of my .32-20 story, but that was not to be.  When I saw this Winchester 92 at my local Cabelas, I could not pass it up.

Winchester923220.thumb.JPG.91fdb19122190548579684876e4da057.JPG
Saddle ring carbine with a 20" barrel, lettering to 1909.  This is a very fun gun to shoot.

Now, if any of you know me, this next gun will not come as a surprise.  A Colt Lightning.
ColtLightning3220.thumb.JPG.19362baa1050eaf31df50542380d7f21.JPG

While not my favorite SASS gun, that would be my AWA Lighting in .45 Colt, this one is a close second.  It sure is pretty, even if the finish is not original, I have no complaints.  Works like a dream.  With a 26" barrel, it letters to 1897.

My next gun in the caliber was something of a surprise.   A Colt Bisley.

BisleyBlue3220.thumb.JPG.2fc42c747da70b14a67590961b05cb15.JPG

With its 4-3/4" barrel, caliber, and surprisingly low price, I could not pass on it.  I never really thought I'd own a Bisley, as the one time I handled one, I didn't like the way it felt in my hand.  But, when I actually shot a match with it, along with the above 3rd Gen and the Lighting, and shot a clean match, I realized I didn't really notice the difference while shooting.  In other words, I liked it.  Don't have a letter yet, but Colt's online thing dates it to 1904.

I liked the above so much that I had to get this one when I came across it. BisleyNickel.thumb.JPG.f69550bfd05af7f3b47fdfe4e3aa1178.JPG

This gives me as close to "matched pair" as I've ever been.  This one dates to 1901, and feels practically brand new.   I'll point out now that for some reason, .32-20 Bisleys seem to be far less expensive than a standard 1st Generation SAA in the caliber in comparable condition, or even Bisleys in other calibers.   I don't know why, but it is nice as far as I am concerned.   I can afford them!

My most recent .32-20 is something of a surprise to me, a Marlin 1888.

Marlin18883220.thumb.JPG.70a7eb265873ee43bc1ec54735bbf163.JPG

This one letters as a 24" barrel, but actually has one that is 19-7/8" long.  I have never been a fan of Marlins, mostly cuz I shoot left handed.   But I knew about the existence of this model with top eject, and generically, I had always thought if I ever found one for a reasonable price, I'd consider it.  Well, when I found this 1888 vintage one, in .32-20, for a very reasonable price, I acquired it.  Not fired it yet, but I am looking forward to the first shoot of the year, when will do 1 stage with each of these 4 rifles to see which one I do best with.  Something that surprised me is how it has a much smoother action than either of the Winchesters.

And that's my .32-20 journey.  Generically, I'd like to get another regular SAA that's not an antique, but prices for vintage Colts have exploded of late, so who knows.

In other words, .32-20 is great!

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Legal, but not popular. Virtually every member of SASS who uses it regularly has posted above.

I have three full-size Cattlemen .32-20's and a Marlin CCLTD rifle, and probably haven't shot any of them in five years anyway.

Darn!  I am below.   I guess that means I'm not regular!  :)

• Haha 2