SASS Wire Forum

Last USA Made Winchester 94 Trapper

Just wanted to share it with you .

I just picked up this New in the box Unfired Winchester 94 

44 magnum 16"

Saddle Ring Ranger  .

No it's not for SASS .

It's for just because I love the 44 cartridge. 

I own One 66 Two 92's 

Two Marlin's Two Henry's 

Three 73's and Now 

One 94 all in 44 Magnum and or 44 special .

This is the last US Repeating Arms Run in Connecticut before they sold out to FN .

She has the tang safety like the new Japanese built Winchester Clones and not the ugly cross bolt safety .

It's really a nice built USA Winchester 94.

Rooster 

IMG_20240120_154511_697.jpg

IMG_20240120_154511_847.jpg

IMG_20240120_154511_891.jpg

IMG_20240120_154511_972.jpg

IMG_20240120_154512_030.jpg

• Like 10

Very nice find, congratulations!

• Thanks 1

Lever Action Horrors!

Virtually everyone has a horror story about 1 or more firearms that they have owned. Here's my lever horror story;

In '94 I was looking for a lever in .357 because I was doing alot of .357 shooting out of my M66 and wanted a cheap and easy round that I could reload in abundance. After looking around for about 6-8 months I couldn't find one, I even phoned Winchester! The nice lady said that they didn't have enough calls to start manufacturing them again. Remember this was before Cowboy Action got bigger.

I finally gave up on .357 and found a 1994 mfg Winchester Wrangler in .44 Magnum. Shades of John Wayne that large loop lever was kewl! Little did I realize that with 2 years, I'd start shooting Cowboy Action. I did lots of testing and came up 7.2 grains of Unique pushing a 240 grain LSWC bullet as an accurate target load.

Within the first 20 rds down range, the pot metal feed ramp broke. Off for warranty work! Eight months later I get the rifle back. After every 50 rds the rear sight elevator would fall off. So we have to install a Williams rear sight! Shooting again after every 50 rds the screws in the receiver would work loose. Locktite!! After 1,500 rds the tubular magazine spring gave up the ghost! Wolfe Gun springs to the rescue. After this the Lever Link broke, 3 months and 5 nasty letters later, Winchester told me they would sell me the part but without warranty! They wanted me to send the gun to the warranty centre again!

That was the last straw, I found a sucker to buy the Winchester and bought a Marlin M1894S, after 8,000 rds through it, it broke a firing pin. I love the quality Marlin builds in.

P.S. My Wrangler was one of 4 Wranglers in town with the same problems.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wish I would have kept my Winchester Trails End in .45! Remember that one?? I wouldn’t have used it for SASS but for just old fashioned plinking and target shooting!! I was so excited when I got that gun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I wish I would have kept my Winchester Trails End in .45! Remember that one?? I wouldn’t have used it for SASS but for just old fashioned plinking and target shooting!! I was so excited when I got that gun.

I still have my ‘94 Trails End .357 Magnum. 
I bought it in ‘97 after I joined SASS. I was so excited to go to my first CAS match. I sighted it in with jacketed magnum ammo and it was so accurate. I developed ammo for  CAS it shot really well with that. 
I went to my first match at the ‘77 Shooters Society out near Yucaipa CA.

After my very first stage, which I thought I shot really well this guy walks up to me at the unloading table and informs me “That rifle you have there is no good for SASS. What you need is a Winchester ‘73. You need to get rid of those Rugers too. They ain’t’ cowboy. What you need is a pair of these Colt single action army’s.” He pulled one of his revolvers to show me. 
In that moment I was truly pizzed! I had spent over a year gathering my gear and my guns. Who was this sanctimonious sonofa…?

I looked at him and said “Mister, there’s one of you at every type of shooting match I have been to” (I used to shoot tactical matches and Bullseye) “The rulebook and a nice lady at the SASS office says my guns are just fine, but thanks for your opinion. Now, I believe I need to unload my guns so I don’t get a disqualification.”

Pretty sure I encountered his brothers at nearly every match I shot. :lol:
I used my Trails End for 5 years before I bought a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Comp. I still used it on occasion. I actually didn’t care for that Cowboy Comp. I used my 94 when I returned to SASS. I love this gun. 

image.thumb.jpeg.54f2732c4a074812baf39df26dd97cce.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fac807bfabed138a5eb05c224f029f29.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 11:55 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

This is the last US Repeating Arms Run in Connecticut before they sold out to FN .

Do you have documentation to prove that?   I wonder if Cody would have records for one made that late in the game.  Even so, it looks like a very nice gun.  What kind of a front sight does it have?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Do you have documentation to prove that?   I wonder if Cody would have records for one made that late in the game.  Even so, it looks like a very nice gun.  What kind of a front sight does it have?

I'm not saying it's the Last Gun Period .

I'm saying it's the last run of guns before FN bought Winchester from US Repeating Arms and moved the manufacturing to Japan. 

Any way you look at it .

It's a American Made Winchester 44 mag Unfired in the box. 

I'm very happy with it .

PS. 

No  it's not for Cowboy Action Shooting .

I just wanted it .

Rooster 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I'm not saying it's the Last Gun Period .

I'm saying it's the last run of guns before FN bought Winchester from US Repeating Arms and moved the manufacturing to Japan. 

Sorry.  I misunderstood.  I somehow thought you meant it was the last .44 Magnum they made.   Re-reading the original post, you clearly did not say or even imply that.  I musta misread run as gun or some such foolishness on my part. 

It does look very nice, and I am sure you will enjoy it.

What kind of front sight does it have?

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I still have my ‘94 Trails End .357 Magnum. 
I bought it in ‘97 after I joined SASS. I was so excited to go to my first CAS match. I sighted it in with jacketed magnum ammo and it was so accurate. I developed ammo for  CAS it shot really well with that. 
I went to my first match at the ‘77 Shooters Society out near Yucaipa CA.

After my very first stage, which I thought I shot really well this guy walks up to me at the unloading table and informs me “That rifle you have there is no good for SASS. What you need is a Winchester ‘73. You need to get rid of those Rugers too. They ain’t’ cowboy. What you need is a pair of these Colt single action army’s.” He pulled one of his revolvers to show me. 
In that moment I was truly pizzed! I had spent over a year gathering my gear and my guns. Who was this sanctimonious sonofa…?

I looked at him and said “Mister, there’s one of you at every type of shooting match I have been to” (I used to shoot tactical matches and Bullseye) “The rulebook and a nice lady at the SASS office says my guns are just fine, but thanks for your opinion. Now, I believe I need to unload my guns so I don’t get a disqualification.”

Pretty sure I encountered his brothers at nearly every match I shot. :lol:
I used my Trails End for 5 years before I bought a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Comp. I still used it on occasion. I actually didn’t care for that Cowboy Comp. I used my 94 when I returned to SASS. I love this gun. 

image.thumb.jpeg.54f2732c4a074812baf39df26dd97cce.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fac807bfabed138a5eb05c224f029f29.jpeg

Good for you for telling that jerk off! There’s always one of them at a shoot!!

• Like 2

My first CAS gun was a 94 in 44 mag, but it had the butt ugly cross bolt safety. I bought it at a gun show about a month after my soon-to-be-ex moved out.  A Happy Divorce To Me present!

It was slow but solid, and I had a ton of fun with it.  Sold it after I slowed down on CAS shooting. Sometimes wish I still had it.

Good for you and your find!

• Like 2

When I started CAS in 2004, I went to Walmart and ordered a Winchester 94 in .357.  It was the 20" 94AE Trails End with the tang safety.  I think the price was about $360.00.  Walmart had a really weird way of buying/ordering firearms but that's another story.  I shot the Winchester 94 for my first year and even had Joe West do an action job on it.  The action job helped, but it still had a built in governor.  I still have the gun, however it has been retired from CAS duty.   

• Like 1

I bought a 94 .44 Mag at the Exchange on Okinawa.  It was an 18 (20?) inch barrel and had no safeties except a half cock, didn't have that horrid angle eject, and had some quite nice wood.  There was a Japanese gent who worked at the exchange a couple of days a week.  He did amazingly good real ivory inlays and engraving.

I had him put my initials on the right heel of the butt in ivory, a standing grizzly on the right receiver and a pair of mule deer on the left, both wonderfully engraved.

My first Fall home I took a four point muley with it and later on a three pointer.

It got traded off for money to feed the family a couple of years later and I never saw it again.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Sorry.  I misunderstood.  I somehow thought you meant it was the last .44 Magnum they made.   Re-reading the original post, you clearly did not say or even imply that.  I musta misread run as gun or some such foolishness on my part. 

It does look very nice, and I am sure you will enjoy it.

What kind of front sight does it have?

3/8 Dovetail  Brass bead .

Saloon Ricochet… sorry.

I really do not understand this hate of the “ugly crossbolt safety”. Personally, I would prefer that over a tang safety. I always put O-rings on my SASS guns with crossbolt safeties to keep from accidentally applying it. But their appearance never really bothered me. Maybe it’s also a personal thing that I won’t go into here. 
Sorry for the hijack. I just wanted to voice my opinion on that safety feature. 

To me that safety is like a small skin blemish on a pretty woman. 

• Like 2

I have my two "1894-1994" receiver stamped rifles: 30-30 carbine with checkered stock and  45 Colt trapper (my first CAS rifle). The 30-30 I removed the cross bolt and plugged the holes - it looks nice. The 45 Colt has the "John Wayne" loop lever. It's just cool.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

More like a big ol harry wart.  I even plugged the crossbolt safety on my Marlins.  There's a double headed screw that fills the hole and looks a little better.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Saloon Ricochet… sorry.

I really do not understand this hate of the “ugly crossbolt safety”. Personally, I would prefer that over a tang safety. I always put O-rings on my SASS guns with crossbolt safeties to keep from accidentally applying it. But their appearance never really bothered me. Maybe it’s also a personal thing that I won’t go into here. 
Sorry for the hijack. I just wanted to voice my opinion on that safety feature. 

My 94’s safety had a 1/8” deep by 1” diameter on the receiver’s right side. When the safety was pushed in it protruded 1/8” from the other side. It was the 1” recess that looked like a drained cyst which spoiled the gun’s looks. 

I had a Marlin in 38-55 which had a simple cross bolt safety with no recess. I used your I-ring idea and never had a problem with its aesthetics. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:28 AM, Pat Riot said:

I really do not understand this hate of the “ugly crossbolt safety”.

Others may or may not agree with the following...

From my perspective, it is one of the "improvements" that were a part of the systematic ruination of the Model 94.   Unneeded and unwanted changes that turned a beloved, iconic firearm, into a hunka junk.

Unless I am off, all of these "changes" were ones made by US Repeating Arms after they took over the New Haven plant and they started making guns for Winchester, instead of Winchester making the guns themselves.   It all started in 1983, which is why in addition to the pre and post 64 designation, I also use a pre and post 83 one.

It all started with angle eject.
Then they added the crossbolt safety.

Then they removed the half cock notch and put in the rebounding hammer

Then they got rid of the crossbolt safety and added the tang safety.   This is an "improvement" but it's still an ugly abomination in my opinion.

None of these things is needed, wanted, or otherwise called for on the M94.   

And none of them exist on the new M94 reproductions being sold by Cimmaron.   Don't know if they are good rifles or not.  But they at least look okay.

All of this is just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Others may or may not agree with the following...

From my perspective, it is one of the "improvements" that were a part of the systematic ruination of the Model 94.   Unneeded and unwanted changes that turned a beloved, iconic firearm, into a hunka junk.

Unless I am off, all of these "changes" were ones made by US Repeating Arms after they took over the New Haven plant and they started making guns for Winchester, instead of Winchester making the guns themselves.   It all started in 1983, which is why in addition to the pre and post 64 designation, I also use a pre and post 83 one.

It all started with angle eject.
Then they added the crossbolt safety.

Then they removed the half cock notch and put in the rebounding hammer

Then they got rid of the crossbolt safety and added the tang safety.   This is an "improvement" but it's still an ugly abomination in my opinion.

None of these things is needed, wanted, or otherwise called for on the M94.   

And none of them exist on the new M94 reproductions being sold by Cimmaron.   Don't know if they are good rifles or not.  But they at least look okay.

All of this is just my opinion.

Well, my life is too short to stress over things I can’t control. I don’t mind the safety. Maybe someday I will post why, but this thread isn’t about 94 Safeties. 
It’s about a Pard that’s thrilled about his new acquisition. Something he’s very happy with and proud of. That’s what this thread is about. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 12:41 PM, Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L said:

I have my two "1894-1994" receiver stamped rifles: 30-30 carbine with checkered stock and  45 Colt trapper (my first CAS rifle). The 30-30 I removed the cross bolt and plugged the holes - it looks nice. The 45 Colt has the "John Wayne" loop lever. It's just cool.

Hay Gunner .

Long time no see !

I pray all things are going good in your world .

God bless.

Rooster 

• Like 1

My first SASS rifle (before I knew you needed 10 rounds in the mag) is a 94 Trapper .45 Colt pre-safeties. Shot it for a good while and moved up to a '73. I still have it. Great camp rifle. It sits in my truck beside me on Sundays. I'm a (trained) church guardian an usually watch the gates and parking lot. I figure it's better than a pistol out to 50 yards And less chance of over penetration if Heaven forbid I have to shoot toward the church.

JHC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

My first SASS rifle (before I knew you needed 10 rounds in the mag) is a 94 Trapper .45 Colt pre-safeties. Shot it for a good while and moved up to a '73. I still have it. Great camp rifle. It sits in my truck beside me on Sundays. I'm a (trained) church guardian an usually watch the gates and parking lot. I figure it's better than a pistol out to 50 yards And less chance of over penetration if Heaven forbid I have to shoot toward the church.

JHC

Love it .

God has a use for Old Cowboys with Old Lever Guns lol .

God bless .

PS.

I pray you never have to use her for that job .

Rooster 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Hay Gunner .

Long time no see !

I pray all things are going good in your world .

God bless.

Rooster 

Right back at ya pard.

• Like 1

Got her out this weekend. 

Wow what a great shooter.

Don't get me wrong .

Yes it's a clunky 94 Winchester. 

But fat girls need love too!

They all can't be super models. 

IMG_20240120_154511_697.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Got her out this weekend. 

Wow what a great shooter.

Don't get me wrong .

Yes it's a clunky 94 Winchester. 

But fat girls need love too!

They all can't be super models. 

Okay, now I gotta take my 94 Trails End out for some fun soon. I just realized I haven’t shot it in a few months. :D