SASS Wire Forum

WTB Lead

3 hours ago, Chicken George* said:

I need some scrap lead to cast bullets. Hardness isn't too important. My normal supplier injured his shoulder and won't be able to get me any for a while. 

I have 140 lbs. that were smelted from clip on wheel weights and recast into ingots that I'd let go.  Not sure what they're worth so would either need some advice or to do some research .  I had intended to get into casting but realized that time wasn't available so packed these into USPS medium rate boxes for eventual sale years ago.

• Like 1

I've never been able to find it at scrap yards but the closest place told me that if they had it, they would sell it for seventy something cents per pound (if I remember right). When I used to have it shipped in flat rate packages, I would try to get it for $1.20 per pound, delivered. I've never paid more than $1.50 delivered, and that was for really nice stuff. 

1 hour ago, Chicken George* said:

I've never been able to find it at scrap yards but the closest place told me that if they had it, they would sell it for seventy something cents per pound (if I remember right). When I used to have it shipped in flat rate packages, I would try to get it for $1.20 per pound, delivered. I've never paid more than $1.50 delivered, and that was for really nice stuff. 

PM sent.

Do a search on sailboat scrap yards/wrecking yards. Many sell scrap lead in bars and ingots. I realize New Mexico isn't teeming with sailboats but some of the out of state scrap yards may ship.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I once called a large scrap yard up here and was told they couldn't sell lead to the public:(. I was able by asking around, to aquire 150# of old plumbing lead. Maybe check with some plumbers in your area and see if they can save you some.

Also check roofing outfits, flashing lead is good as well.

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Added text
  • Thanks 1

Lead prices and availability vary greatly by region or state. Some states have laws about scrap yards selling lead, some don't. The spot price of lead is just under a dollar a pound right now, but I see Craigslist ads up to $2.00/pound and more. Two or three years ago, I was able to buy 2000 pounds from a scrapper for fifty cents a pound. The catch was it was in large chunks, some of them over 200 pounds.

• Thanks 1