SASS Wire Forum

Which side of the hallway?

In the United States, it seems that we habitually walk on the right side of a hallway when there is two-way foot traffic.  If two people are heading towards each they normally defer to the right.

Do they defer to the left in the United Kingdom?

A very Alpo-esque question but the thought crossed my mind while transiting ATL this morning. 

• Like 1

Charlie, I have to say that I am quite proud of you for coming up with that question. I'm glad you've been taking notes. B)

I was watching an old movie one time, and they had a revolving door on the hotel. Everyone went in the right side of the door, which of course made the door rotate counterclockwise.

And while watching that I suddenly had the Wonder - did they go in on the left in a revolving door in England? Because, you know, they drive on the left.

Basically the same question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I walk in  the mall a few times a week when it’s too cold to walk outside and I can day most people veer to the right when coming head on with me if I’m on the right which I always am. Some don’t and I consider them idiots.

I love the people walking out of a store into foot traffic without even looking! I wonder if they do that when they’re driving??:angry:

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1

Except at Walmart - where the entrance is the left door as you enter and the exit is the left door as you leave.

• Like 2

At airports I see people walking all over the hallways. I stay right but encounter lots of folks walking directly towards as they’re playing chicken. If they knew my attitude when flying they’d probably steer clear of me, but I am proud of my record of not pummeling anyone with my carry on bag. 

Many stores have entrances on the left. It’s usually in relation to where they store shopping carts, I have noticed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Except at Walmart - where the entrance is the left door as you enter and the exit is the left door as you leave.

If there are two entrances on the front of the store, with each entrance near the extreme sides of the store. The in door on each entrance will be the one closest to the outside wall because that is where the carts are stored. 

In the stores with only 1 main entrance the in side will usually be the one closest to where the carts are.

All the super stores i have been in (wally World target and others) that have two main entrances 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

And while watching that I suddenly had the Wonder - did they go in on the left in a revolving door in England? Because, you know, they drive on the left.

Why glass revolving doors are becoming more popular in UK buildings

The direction of revolving doors is usually adjusted according to the owners choosing; in North America and Europe, this is often counter-clockwise but in places like New Zealand and Australia the direction is clockwise. Here, in the U.K., revolving doors are mainly installed to rotate in a clockwise direction.

i know from college days that americans gravitate to the right door in a pair and often thats the active leaf of the pair if applicable , the europeans gravitated to the left leaf , sometimes i purposely go to the left just to be different , 

Didn't give this thread much thought until the other day, out-and-about w/Mrs. H and we were walking through a store, with someone approaching in the aisle.

I drifted us to the left, which forced the oncomer to shift to his left, and I realized I had developed an unconscious habit of doing so when I can.

The reason? Mrs. H. walks on my left, holding my left hand. I have a habit of keeping my right hand unencumbered because that's the side I draw from.

On 1/8/2024 at 6:39 PM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

If two people are heading towards each they normally defer to the right.

Do they defer to the left in the United Kingdom?

I once was on vacation in Ireland. The answer is yes. I noticed when I crossed an other tourist on a camp site trail and while we both stepped to one's own right she said "oh, you must be from the continent, too"