Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Community group wants money


Rye Miles #13621

Recommended Posts

There’s a group here in my town that’s called A Better Euclid.  
They want signatures to submit a letter to city council requesting funds to give to Case Western Reserve college to work on a program to reduce violence. I’ve spoken against it online on Facebook where they posted this. They want MY tax money to give to a college? Am I wrong to be 100% against this? What would you do? 

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are a community group. Why not raise the money themselves?  United way, salvation army, food banks, shelters.

 

Why not volunteer time and in kind resources with the college to create the program independent of tax dollars? If government could solve the problem with public funds there  would have been no need for the groups effort.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Texas Joker said:

They are a community group. Why not raise the money themselves?  United way, salvation army, food banks, shelters.

 

Why not volunteer time and in kind resources with the college to create the program independent of tax dollars? If government could solve the problem with public funds there  would have been no need for the groups effort.

Great idea! They’re probably too lazy to do that. I think it’s a bunch of liberals who like to spend other people’s money!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Refer them to your local indoor shooting range. The only practical way to combat violence is the ability and the likelihood to use violence.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK , lets see if im following this - 

 

first there is a community group that wants to raise money .....................................i commend them for trying to do what they want 

second , they are collecting signatures to petition your city to make a contribution to the local college [with tax dollars] ..........BS , let them raise their own money 

third to fund a college program ? ..................why is the city even allowing them on the agenda , the college should not get city funds 

fourth to prevent violence ? ..................exactly what does that mean ? it needs more definition , on campus - off campus - against whom ? 

and they have a facebook page - or are you using yours as a platform ? ............................................im not able to comment on that as im not on facebook 

 

it all sounds like someone looking for funds and they should go to the local humanitarian organizations like SERTOMA for funding 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

OK , lets see if im following this - 

 

first there is a community group that wants to raise money .....................................i commend them for trying to do what they want 

second , they are collecting signatures to petition your city to make a contribution to the local college [with tax dollars] ..........BS , let them raise their own money 

third to fund a college program ? ..................why is the city even allowing them on the agenda , the college should not get city funds 

fourth to prevent violence ? ..................exactly what does that mean ? it needs more definition , on campus - off campus - against whom ? 

and they have a facebook page - or are you using yours as a platform ? ............................................im not able to comment on that as im not on facebook 

 

it all sounds like someone looking for funds and they should go to the local humanitarian organizations like SERTOMA for funding 

Okay I found out it’s from ARPA funds which is a government program to help from COVID . There’s a broad amount of things this can fund. It’s still tax dollars.

https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/coronavirus/assistance-for-state-local-and-tribal-governments/state-and-local-fiscal-recovery-funds

 

BTW this community group does have its own facebook page and also posts on another community page. 

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The function of government is to take money then dispense as seen fit; read as politically advantageous to elected officials. This group is simply trying to tap into that.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

The function of government is to take money then dispense as seen fit; read as politically advantageous to elected officials. This group is simply trying to tap into that.

Exactly! That money from the ARPA fund can go to the police where it would really help. I don’t see where a college study would do anything to address violence. It’s a dumb idea and I’ve told them as much. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would want to know EXACTLY how this program would "reduce" violence. If they start their answer with something like, "To increase awareness..."  I'd immediately call Bravo Sierra. There IS no way to stop violence except to let those that would commit violence know that you're ready to fight them with violence of your own.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

Refer them to your local indoor shooting range. The only practical way to combat violence is the ability and the likelihood to use violence.

Best solution.

 

No politics being taught in a college.

 

Not putting up with communist ideolgy.

 

Not having to tolerate the idiotic people who think this will work.

 

More fun.

 

Less money.

 

One more idiotic "we know better than anyone else" group of self-important proplr that will not / should not / must not exist.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Great idea! They’re probably too lazy to do that. I think it’s a bunch of liberals who like to spend other people’s money!

Research done a few years back showed that areas that were predominantly liberal/democrat (based on state and national election results) had overall higher levels of charitable giving than conservative/republican areas. 
 

But the conservative/republican areas had higher levels of privately-sourced charitable giving. 
 

Which means that the liberal/democrat areas were more generous, as long as it was other people’s money. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay I found out it’s from ARPA funds which is a government program to help from COVID . There’s a broad amount of things this can fund. It’s still tax dollars.

https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/coronavirus/assistance-for-state-local-and-tribal-governments/state-and-local-fiscal-recovery-funds

 

BTW this community group does have its own facebook page and also posts on another community page. 

yes , not just tax dollars but unspent covid cash that someone is hoping to utilize - others hoping buy them votes in the upcoming election , i think all covid funding should be shut off at this point - they have spent enough on this debacle and its no longer going to businesses that should have gotten it to stay afloat when the government wrongfully shut them down , 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh you have all kinds of tax $ going to colleges.  At a University a professor's hierarchy is largely based on 'Publish or Perish' or getting government $ for some project/study.  Do our universities provide some good research?  No doubt, but my experience is that it largely pure research and they are poor at applications.  A simple man can read a lot of the proposals and accurately say "No, I see little cost/benefit to society'.

 

But we must keep socialist/liberal/WOKE academia supported.  They are one of the 3 important stool legs with the media and public schools...

 

Otherwise reference my subsidy rant on college loan forgiveness.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, watab kid said:

yes , not just tax dollars but unspent covid cash that someone is hoping to utilize - others hoping buy them votes in the upcoming election , i think all covid funding should be shut off at this point - they have spent enough on this debacle and its no longer going to businesses that should have gotten it to stay afloat when the government wrongfully shut them down , 

I'm using ARPA funds on streets, sewers and water pipe. As intended. The PD is also benefitting but to a lesser degree. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm using ARPA funds on streets, sewers and water pipe. As intended. The PD is also benefitting but to a lesser degree. 

That’s exactly what I suggested to these fools. I doubt the city council and mayor are going to okay their request. If they do I’ll be P$&@@?D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm using ARPA funds on streets, sewers and water pipe. As intended. The PD is also benefitting but to a lesser degree. 

good at least some is going where it should , oversight of these programs is always a hindsight thing it seems , 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.