SASS Wire Forum

Hickok45 review of Cimarron Doc Holladay coachgun

Warden Callaway

I've got one in the safe. Hammers are a little wide (especially when compared to a TTN). Other than that it's a beautiful shotgun. 

BS

I think son John does the camera work. Maybe this one was done by someone else?  Hickok45 is pretty unique in that he shoots the video in one continuous shot, normally.  Only a couple of times have they cut and come back.  No anointing rollups. No background sound.  They upped their game a few years back and got better camera and sound equipment. 

I think the video is fine, love Hickocks videos. He sure had fun with this shotgun !!

$1700 though?? No thanks !

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I got mine a good while back.  They are the finest made Hammer Doubles out there.  Expensive yes, but well worth the price.

I bet you didn't pay $1700 for it! Did ya huh???:lol:

Sawhorse,

Funny you should mention that.  I also picked up one of the FIRST Pietta guns.  Looked so close to my Pedersoli and took 'em both apart.  Identical.  ALL the parts interchange.  Don't know if that's still the case, but I was certain Pedersoli was making guns for Pietta although Pietta says otherwise.

11 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Rye!!

You're so right.  Back then I was able to score mine on sale from Dixie.  $1275.  That was a while ago.

That’s little more reasonable! I’d buy a new one for that today!

So you guys that have one: does yours also require you to "work the lever" to close it?  I'm wondering if Hickok's gun had something wrong with it.

Jake,

Nope.  Both the Pedersoli and the Pietta close up just lake any other Double.  Suspect Hickok was just being "kind" to his loaner.  Also, as an aside, My gun DID NOT have a mat finish on the barrels and I believe it to be Hard Chrome as well.  The bores are also chrome lined.  Really superb.

16 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

So you guys that have one: does yours also require you to "work the lever" to close it?  I'm wondering if Hickok's gun had something wrong with it.

No, the Pietta does not require any extra steps to close either.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful hammered Coach gun, but that TANG SAFETY - UGH!!!!  It's still beyond me why gun manufacturers continue to bow to the senseless requirements of their legal department.  Someday we'll probably see tang safeties on single action revolvers.

Still love my Rossi Overland Coach - no useless extra parts.

Windy - are you going to be at the New Years Eve shoot (starts at 10am)? If you are I'll bring mine down so that you can see it in person. 

BS

7 hours ago, Tennessee River said:

Beautiful hammered Coach gun, but that TANG SAFETY - UGH!!!!  It's still beyond me why gun manufacturers continue to bow to the senseless requirements of their legal department.  Someday we'll probably see tang safeties on single action revolvers.

Still love my Rossi Overland Coach - no useless extra parts.

It's an import requirement to the USA.

16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Remember OLG, the SASS Wire has the folks that know how to do it better than all the others;):P

Phantom

YUP:excl::lol:

Just now, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

But the Cimarron 1878 coach gun (TTN) has never had any safety.

Don't tell anyone ;)

41 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

But the Cimarron 1878 coach gun (TTN) has never had any safety.

You mean the one with exposed hammers? :P

Perhaps Abilene will have more up to date information from Cimarron, but the Chinese made 1878 replica hasn't been available for several years.  Rumors abound.

WINDY CITY

Yep.  You're missing a lot.  Quality wise there is absolutely no comparison between the Chinese '78 and the Pedersoli or the Pietta.  The TTN/Cimarron is in fact quite functional and is great value for dollar.  If you happen to prefer FINE guns however, no Ceegar.

Archived