SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder Bullet Source

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

A friend of mine recently acquired an 1880s vintage trapdoor 

Springfield. He has an ample supply of 2f Goex and 300 gr #2 Buffalo bullets from Missouri Bullet with smokeless lube. He plans to pan lube the bullets, but even so, I’m not sure they’ll hold enough BP lube, making a big lube bullet a better choice. He does not want to shoot BP subs. 

I’m unable to find the recent thread about who’s casting BP bullets these days. Any help is appreciated!

From 2017:

Used in BP rifle loads.

Pour melted lube in a pan about 1/8" thick. Let set up, and then use the case mouth as a 'cookie-cutter'. Set bullet over it.

You want a fiber wad to separate the lube wad to from powder and the bullet if you shoot paper patched bullets.

OLG

Dave at Slippery Bullets has recently started producing Black Powder Bullets.

Local Bullet Company (slipperybullets.com)

3 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

Dave at Slippery Bullets has recently started producing Black Powder Bullets.

Local Bullet Company (slipperybullets.com)

I need to call him and see if he’s offering a good 38 big lube rifle bullet.

8 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

Rye,

I tried these.  They are great for pistol, but they don’t carry enough lube for rifle.

Possum

I never had a problem with my rifle when I shot .44-40 black with these bullets! ! What exactly is the problem?

On 11/13/2023 at 9:32 PM, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

Rye,

I tried these.  They are great for pistol, but they don’t carry enough lube for rifle.

Possum

19 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I never had a problem with my rifle when I shot .44-40 black with these bullets! ! What exactly is the problem?

What barrel length???

I have some BP bullets that work great in my rifle with the 20" barrel. However, when shot out of a 24" barrel they run out of lube at about the 21.5" mark. As long as I run a wet patch down the barrel between stages they work as SASS distances. 

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What barrel length???

I have some BP bullets that work great in my rifle with the 20" barrel. However, when shot out of a 24" barrel they run out of lube at about the 21.5" mark. As long as I run a wet patch down the barrel between stages they work as SASS distances. 

20” and a 24” never noticed any problems with Desperado bullets.

On 11/14/2023 at 5:34 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Lube seems fine, just not enough of it.  Lots of fouling toward end of barrel.  Never had this problem with big lubes.  Have to use a bore brush when cleaning to remove it.  This is out of a 20” barrel.

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What barrel length???

Dave,

I ran a wet bore snake after each stage at LandRun and that kept it from being a problem.  But if I’m going to do that, I figure I might as well run un-lubed bullets.

27 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

Dave,

I ran a wet bore snake after each stage at LandRun and that kept it from being a problem.  But if I’m going to do that, I figure I might as well run un-lubed bullets.

If you run a bore snake through after each stage, every 10 rounds, you can pretty much use any bullet. If you want to be able to shoot 5 or six stages at a monthly or a days shooting at a multi day match without cleaning, the big lube bullets or other designs that hold a lot of lube work much better.

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

If you run a bore snake through after each stage, every 10 rounds, you can pretty much use any bullet. If you want to be able to shoot 5 or six stages at a monthly or a days shooting at a multi day match without cleaning, the big lube bullets or other designs that hold a lot of lube work much better.

Agree 100%

Archived