SASS Wire Forum

Reload Question, 45-70 Brass

Wesley James

I have about 100 cleaned 45-70 cases that were purchased as part of an estate deal. Looks like someone at some point cut into the rim of the case to "mark they?"

Lets take a poll:

A: Why do such a thing?

B: Would you feel safe reloading and reusing these cases? 

Please let me know you thoughts

Wesley James

IMG_6347.JPG

IMG_6349.JPG

More permanent than marking with paint or ink, as a way to ensure the case is always oriented in the chamber the same way each time.  By chance was the prior owner a BPCR competitor?

I would feel absolutely fine reloading them and using them in a single shot... a repeater, I'd watch how they look after the first time... If no ill effect, I'd continue using them.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Also check the case length. They may have been cut down for a different caliber ( .45-60). Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

More permanent than marking with paint or ink, as a way to ensure the case is always oriented in the chamber the same way each time.  By chance was the prior owner a BPCR competitor?

I would feel absolutely fine reloading them and using them in a single shot... a repeater, I'd watch how they look after the first time... If no ill effect, I'd continue using them.

This is the answer. Some do the same with a file.

• Like 1

to properly orient in chamber  would'nt you place them in the chamber with the same point of refernce point.   I had gotten to the point that I referenced the sprue to the case in line with the caliber markings, and the case to chamber with the WIN mark at the 12 oclock point.  seemed to work the best in my Sharps for sillouette shooting.

The permanent marks on the case rim could indicate the case has been modified. Check the diameter of the flash hole to see if it has been enlarged. Some people open up the flash hole for black powder cartridges and mark them so they will not be used with smokeless loads.

I should have mentioned this in the original post. Case over all length, primmer pocket and flash hole match my "New, Unfired" Starline cases. 

I am going to assume the previous owner was shooting black powder and was clocking the round in the chamber. 

Thanks all for your input. It's nice to have a sounding board for a second (third) opinion!!  :)

Wes

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Griff said:

More permanent than marking with paint or ink, as a way to ensure the case is always oriented in the chamber the same way each time.

And oriented in the press the same way each time when resizing* and seating the bullet.

*Someone going to this extent is most likely not full-length resizing the case as he wants it to retain the "fire-formed" shape of the chamber.

• Like 3

Locking used to be one of the common things to see done by guys shooting BPCR. It’s been since shown to have no effect unless the chamber was garbage to begin with. Those marks would have just been easier to reference than the stamp orientation. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like a good place to post my problem. Worked up some BP loads for my 45/70 sharps today and noticed the cases bulged near the base which made them troublesome to eject. New Starline brass with a recipe from my notes. 2f Swiss with .216 compression, Montana 535 Postell. Been a while since I’ve loaded and the amount of compression made me second guess my previous load notes. They chambered flawlessly so I don’t think I bulged the case with the press. Any words of wisdom? Thanks, Cullie Halfcock.

forgot to add- 63.5 grains weighed and 0.30 vegi wad.

Edited by Cullie Halfcock

42 minutes ago, Cullie Halfcock said:

Looks like a good place to post my problem. Worked up some BP loads for my 45/70 sharps today and noticed the cases bulged near the base which made them troublesome to eject. New Starline brass with a recipe from my notes. 2f Swiss with .216 compression, Montana 535 Postell. Been a while since I’ve loaded and the amount of compression made me second guess my previous load notes. They chambered flawlessly so I don’t think I bulged the case with the press. Any words of wisdom? Thanks, Cullie Halfcock.

Did you fire these loads in the same rifle as before? Thats almost the same load I use with the addition of a paper circle between the vegi. wad and the bullet base, excellent load!

2 hours ago, Cullie Halfcock said:

Cullie,

New cases, The bulge is noted after loading of the new cases?

Sounds very similar to mine. 63.5 grains of Swiss 1.5 in a Remington case, .03 vegi wad. 537 gr Jones 55001

But, your compression seems a bit high. .065” is what I run. 

2.970 OAL

I marked all my cases 25 years ago until I figured it was moot.

Uriah

IMG_1036.jpeg

IMG_1037.jpeg

Edited by Uriah, SASS # 53822
Edit

Thanks guys! Yes they chambered easily, after firing they stuck a little and left a friction mark on the case. Not horrible but had to push them back in and eject a few times to get them out. Shot several rounds prior to that with no issues that I thought was the same load. I backed off in increments and made up 3 different 5 round loads to try tomorrow. 
The bulge was not there off the press……. Only after firing…… and one more note, they did seem HOT!

Edited by Cullie Halfcock

49 minutes ago, Uriah, SASS # 53822 said:

Cullie,

New cases, The bulge is noted after loading of the new cases?

Sounds very similar to mine. 63.5 grains of Swiss 1.5 in a Remington case, .03 vegi wad. 537 gr Jones 55001

But, your compression seems a bit high. .065” is what I run. 

2.970 OAL

I marked all my cases 25 years ago until I figured it was moot.

Uriah

IMG_1036.jpeg

IMG_1037.jpeg

Interesting you have a grease groove exposed. I’m new at this and found that there is a million ways to do it. I had 10 rounds loaded from last fall that I shot today, the gun like them!! Turns out they was once fired REM. Brass. I should be whipped like a rented mule for my lack of note taking!

3 hours ago, Cullie Halfcock said:

Cullie,

You might also try the first greased, group exposed, it will give you a little more room, not as much compression.

I went to just touching the land to breach seating with mixed results (seldom favorable). I settled on the grease group 1/2 -2/3 exposed. If I push the bullet further, I get a minute ring of lead when I extract the case. When with the greased groove half exposed, I get a “lube ring” after the case is  fired.

Uriah

• Thanks 1

For folks that shoot long range that mark is called indexing and is used to orient the case in the chamber in the same place each time. Swiss does not respond to over compression as well as it could there is a limit. If you over compress it becomes inconsistent.  When I shot long range I found that OE was a much better powder and would be more consistent with compression.

kR

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Uriah, SASS # 53822 said:

Cullie,

You might also try the first greased, group exposed, it will give you a little more room, not as much compression.

I went to just touching the land to breach seating with mixed results (seldom favorable). I settled on the grease group 1/2 -2/3 exposed. If I push the bullet further, I get a minute ring of lead when I extract the case. When with the greased groove half exposed, I get a “lube ring” after the case is  fired.

Uriah

Uriah

i found it to be human error on my part. The load I thought I was replicating was actually 63.5 g of 1.5F shutz, in a REM Case. I loaded some Starline with 62 g 2F Swiss and they shot well today. No problems ejecting. Also loaded some with no compression and those grouped well also. I believe 57.5 g Swiss. Thanks for the info.