SASS Wire Forum

Military Meme's

PowderRiverCowboy

More CAF budget cuts coming.

We may have to delay the procurement of new bicycles for another fiscal year.

6a1ded2883a32b1f21f1c92d00c3afef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 12/14/2023 at 1:16 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

What's he doing at the Pawn Shop in Las Vegas?

We were trying to drop him off somewhere. You know: Like an unwanted dog or cat.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Screenshot-20231214-010415-Instagram.jpg

Don't knock tampons and sanitary napkins.  They make fine makeshift blood stopping field dressings.

I often wondered what some panty waist civilian would think if he / she discovered the uses we found for such things as condoms, nylon stockings and panty hose, cotton diapers, and so many other items.  

Probably would have sent them into swooning fits.  :P :lol: :o

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Don't knock tampons and sanitary napkins.  They make fine makeshift blood stopping field dressings

Kotex made a super absorbent material - cellocotton - for wound dressings, in World War I. Nurses found that they absorbed other types of blood also.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/surprising-origins-kotex-pads-180964466/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we hunted way out in the boonies, a couple of hours from any help, we carried some sealed sanitary napkins, duct tape, QuickClot etc. in our med kit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

When we hunted way out in the boonies, a couple of hours from any help, we carried some sealed sanitary napkins, duct tape, QuickClot etc. in our med kit.

Yep, and we never went anywhere without nylon hose.  A pair would provide about ten of the best bug shields ever.  Cut a circle and put it over your head.  Noseeums and other bugs were stopped, you could see and breathe through them and they even made good wrappers to carry stuff in.

• Like 3

Nylons also work very well in preventing blisters on your feet.  Personally I only used the ankle high ones, but I'm guessing a bunch of you wear the full sized one.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

While I myself have never done it, I have been told that they are quite warm. I remember one frosty December night at a football game, while standing there shivering in my wool band uniform waiting to go on field I asked one of the majorettes - who was wearing what appeared to be a sequin covered one piece bathing suit - why she wasn't freezing to death with her bare arms and legs. She told me that her arms were cold but her pantyhose kept her legs warm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/19/2023 at 7:42 AM, Chantry said:

Nylons also work very well in preventing blisters on your feet.  Personally I only used the ankle high ones, but I'm guessing a bunch of you wear the full sized one.  :P

That's a new one for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2