SASS Wire Forum

Dry Lube at Bordertown

Lawdog Dago Dom

Last year at Bordertown I tried Frog Lube in my rifle in an attempt to avoid attracting sand and dust at the match. Things got gritty on the last day, and I was rescued by Kid Rich and his moose milk.

This year I did some research. I found Otis Dry Lube, that was said to have been originally designed for the US Military. I took my Uberti 73 and Shortcake’s Marlin apart, cleaning the bolt and internal surfaces. I then applied the dry lube per the instructions. We were both shooting the same ammo loaded with APP. After 16 stages (warmup and main match) her Marlin was still humming along. My 73 began binding at the end of day 2 (8 stages) and I had to use some Ballistol for the other two days. Wondering if the anodized carrier was not responding to the dry lube?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

IMG_9928.jpeg

You listed APP in the OP.  Are you shooting 38 specials?  Do you anneal?  I just shot two 12 stage categories at Comin At Cha, 12 stages at Land Run and the 10 stages at Lenexa’s BP match all using APP in 38 special loads and didn’t have to clean the rifle. I only ran a patch down the barrel at the end of the day.  Kid Rich talked me through the annealing process. I recommend looking into annealing.  

Yes they are .38s.

Thought about annealing but  never looked at it seriously.

But why one rifle affected but not the other?

That’s what I don’t get.

After 20 years of operation in an extremely dusty environment, the US Army came to the conclusion that more lube not less made firearms more reliable. 

Can’t find the paper referenced in this thread bur here is a synopsis. 

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/dusty-environment-question.279517/

22 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I completely forgot about Eezox. 

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

But why did the Marlin just keep going? With no sign of slowing down?

Different design 

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

But why did the Marlin just keep going?

Pivoting carrier in Marlin, sliding carrier in toggle guns.  LOTS more moving surface area in a toggle gun to bind up on the frame.

good luck, GJ

The biggest issue I've had shooting BP in my Marlin has been the extractor getting caked up so it won't move back to grab the cartridge rim. Even Ballistol hasn't kept it soft enough. Gonna try annealed brass next season.

44 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The biggest issue I've had shooting BP in my Marlin has been the extractor getting caked up so it won't move back to grab the cartridge rim. Even Ballistol hasn't kept it soft enough. Gonna try annealed brass next season.

Try the coil spring extractor from Ranger Point Precision. 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Try the coil spring extractor from Ranger Point Precision. 

That's what I've been using since they came out. Last years BP match, I used annealed brass and the very first shot on completely clean including the removal of the RPP extractor failed to extract. I noticed that the bottom corner of the hook was worn rounded. RPP graciously replaced the claw. They don't make the whole unit anymore:(, but they did keep some claws on hand for warranty.

We'll try again next year! Currently I only shoot one BP match a season. That could change if I can get my Marlin to cooperate! The H&R and my Rugers run great! Was hoping once I bought a screw knife to save finger nails, I'd have success, but nooo!

Wish RPP would make that extractor again! The only issue until it failed after abt. 5000 rounds is that it throws the brass forward of the firing line. Got to remember to stand back on those stages where it can't be reached!

29 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

I checked their web site and could not find it.  Do you have a source?

Chancy

They unfortunately don't make them anymore.:(

31 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

I checked their web site and could not find it.  Do you have a source?

Chancy

If your Marlin has a Spur/Carty short stroke, the RPP claw will not work.

14 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I completely forgot about Eezox. 

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

But why did the Marlin just keep going? With no sign of slowing down?

The Marlin carrier doesn't slide in a mortise.

Archived