SASS Wire Forum

Happy Birthday Vegemite - 100 today

Buckshot Bear

Happy Birthday Vegemite - 100 today

100 years of Vegemite, the wartime spread that became an Aussie icon

There are roughly 22 million jars of Vegemite manufactured in the original Melbourne factory every year. According to the Vegemite website, around 80% of Australian households have a jar in the cupboard.

Vegemite it was developed by Cyril Callister in Melbourne, Victoria, in 1922, and it first hit stores on October 25, 1923.

is a thick, dark brown Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives
In 1919, following the disruption of British Marmite imports after World War I, the Australian company Fred Walker & Co. gave Cyril Callister the task of developing a spread from the used yeast being dumped by breweries. Callister had been hired by the chairman Fred Walker.

Callister used autolysis to break down the yeast cells from waste obtained from the Carlton & United brewery. Concentrating the clear liquid extract and blending with salt, celery and onion extracts formed a sticky black paste.

Vegemite first appeared on the market in 1923 with advertising emphasising the value of Vegemite to children's health, but it failed to sell well.

Faced with growing competition from Marmite, from 1928 to 1935 the product was renamed "Parwill" to make use of the advertising slogan "Marmite but Parwill", a two-step pun on the new name and that of its competitor; i.e. "If Ma [mother] might... then Pa [father] will." This attempt to expand market share was unsuccessful and the name reverted to Vegemite, but it did not recover its lost market share.

Vegemite is produced in Australia at their Port Melbourne manufacturing facility, which produces more than 22 million jars annually.

Virtually unchanged from Callister's original recipe, Vegemite now far outsells Marmite and other similar spreads in Australia.

The billionth jar of Vegemite was produced in October 2008.

One ad told Australians:
In all operational areas where our men and those of our Allies are engaged, and in military hospitals, Vegemite is in great demand, because of its value in fighting Vitamin B deficiency diseases. That’s why the fighting forces have first call on all Vegemite produced. And that is why Vegemite is in short supply for civilian consumption. But it won’t always be that way. When the peace is won and our men come home, ample stocks of this extra tasty yeast extract will be available for everyone.
This clever advertising linked Vegemite with Australian nationalism. Though most could not buy the spread during the rationing years, the idea that Vegemite was vital for the armed forces cemented the idea that Vegemite was fundamentally Australian.

Dr Cyril P. Callister
395104560_10159872422393553_3635953450167326404_n.jpg.6de6da79d46dc6965c5ac914b0cac78e.jpg

395164535_10159872415778553_7728251781453874706_n.thumb.jpg.07f9fc4584b9ef39e85b9695ffc0efa8.jpg

395072564_10159872424953553_3588556034646432939_n.jpg.a1d22c2f00bb7d4b6cef00697c4da049.jpg

Mom always had Vegex, which I suspect was similar.  Don't know if they make it anymore, I'll have to find out.  Would be interesting to try it as an adult.  My previous trials of foods I disliked as a child have all confirmed previous opinions.

Its pretty cool that from all that left over yeast from beer making (and there's a helluva lot of it down here) that he was able to come up with a just black looking paste that people actually like to eat!

"Callister used autolysis to break down the yeast cells from waste obtained from the Carlton & United brewery. Concentrating the clear liquid extract and blending with salt, celery and onion extracts formed a sticky black paste".

@Rip Snorter I've tried Marmite which is the U.K version and I found it horrible.

@July Smith Its wonderful with butter!

32 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Mom always had Vegex, which I suspect was similar.  Don't know if they make it anymore, I'll have to find out.  Would be interesting to try it as an adult.  My previous trials of foods I disliked as a child have all confirmed previous opinions.

+1, :unsure: if I didn't like it then, I generally don't like it now! Every now and then I want to try a Dill pickle as I think the barrel of em in a General Store has a certain nostalgia. Every time I bite into one, my face goes distorted and I need to expel it,now! Just can't do pickled things :rolleyes:!!

Too Bad they banned it from the USA 1market because of the existence of Folate. Never tried it but I would love to. I understand it has a kinda soy Sauce taste. I do know that I can order it and have it delivered here. Just might have to do that. Never know! When I was in the service I took a lot of Spam to the field with me. However my tastes have changed and know I cant even stand the smell of Spam. But, gotta try Vegitmite at least once.

Update: IN Honor  of our Australian Brothers I just ordered a Jar off Amazon, should be here in time for the wife’s Birhtday

Thanks BB. Once again you might be getting me in trouble.

Mmmmm-Mmmm Marmite…Parwill…Vegemite…With appealing names like that I am shocked these aren’t a worldwide phenomena. :rolleyes:

Do any of those taste like peanut butter or Nutella? I have to admit I have never tasted any of them. Actually, I wouldn’t eat Nutella when I was a kid because I didn’t like the name. Same with Hydrox cookies. Who the hell names a cookie a Hydrox? Hydrox are like Oreos. Chocolate sandwich cookies. 

5 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Too Bad they banned it from the USA 1market because of the existence of Folate. Never tried it but I would love to. I understand it has a kinda soy Sauce taste. I do know that I can order it and have it delivered here. Just might have to do that. Never know! When I was in the service I took a lot of Spam to the field with me. However my tastes have changed and know I cant even stand the smell of Spam. But, gotta try Vegitmite at least once.

You can buy Vegemite on Amazon. 

Vegemite (220 gram) https://a.co/d/hsDLoZE

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

You can buy Vegemite on Amazon. 

Vegemite (220 gram) https://a.co/d/hsDLoZE

I did. , Sorry I edited my comment. I ordered some from Amazon. $7.99 and $21.00 in shipping. For the wife’s 68 Birthday. Hope it doesn’t backfire ], LOL

2 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Update: IN Honor  of our Australian Brothers I just ordered a Jar off Amazon, should be here in time for the wife’s Birhtday

Thanks BB. Once again you might be getting me in trouble.

Can't wait to hear an update on this @Tennessee Trapper Tom Trapper!!!

Get a really nice piece of toast, butter it really well and just a small amount of Vegemite at first....work your way up slowly to Serial Killer :) 

My preference and the most common is 'perfect human'.

105491355_3062399067163109_7547651599711904812_n.jpg.b078672b60d05a972e6f44cbd308343a.jpg

Walmart, at least here, has free delivery on it. Takes about a week.  $15.5 a jar

Good as a spread, use it to punch up soup, mix it with cream cheese for a spread or with sour cream for a dip.   Use it to glaze ham, pork, chicken, or beef.

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/easy-dinners/galleries/vegemite-recipes-every-australian-needs-try/depfm69z

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Walmart, at least here, has free delivery on it. Takes about a week.  $15.5 a jar

Good as a spread, use it to punch up soup, mix it with cream cheese for a spread or with sour cream for a dip.   Use it to glaze ham, pork, chicken, or beef.

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/easy-dinners/galleries/vegemite-recipes-every-australian-needs-try/depfm69z

Those look really good. Seems as though it is more of a condiment or spice used to enhance the flavor profile of more main dishes.Im now really looking forward to trying it. Might even make an entire birthday dinner utilizing Vegemite. Could be an exciting day……………feedback promised. Might even try some HOT, HOT, HOT peppers we grew.

Crap, I guess I have to invite my wife to the party Now. 

10 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Mmmmm-Mmmm Marmite…Parwill…Vegemite…With appealing names like that I am shocked these aren’t a worldwide phenomena. :rolleyes:

Do any of those taste like peanut butter or Nutella? I have to admit I have never tasted any of them. Actually, I wouldn’t eat Nutella when I was a kid because I didn’t like the name. Same with Hydrox cookies. Who the hell names a cookie a Hydrox? Hydrox are like Oreos. Chocolate sandwich cookies. 

Absolutely not!  Peanut butter tastes great, Vegemite tastes like someone salted a bitter root.  The only similarity is it comes in a jar and spreads on toast like peanut butter.  Marmite consistency is more caramel like for lack of a better term.  Never tasted it to compare (fool me once).

History Channel did a special about those biscuits.   Oreos are like Hydrox since Hydrox came out years before Oreos.  The Hydrox name comes from hydrogen and oxygen.   The Oreo name and cookie pattern/design both had an origin story.

6 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Those look really good. Seems as though it is more of a condiment or spice used to enhance the flavor profile of more main dishes.Im now really looking forward to trying it. Might even make an entire birthday dinner utilizing Vegemite. Could be an exciting day……………feedback promised. Might even try some HOT, HOT, HOT peppers we grew.

I treat it like I do Better Than Bouillon or Orrington Farms soup base, although it's closer to the BTB than OF.  And, yes, I'll mix the BTB base with butter or cream cheese for a spread.

Re the Orrington Farms - they make really good vegan soup base that you can't tell from their beef or chicken base.  

26 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Absolutely not!  Peanut butter tastes great, Vegemite tastes like someone salted a bitter root.  The only similarity is it comes in a jar and spreads on toast like peanut butter.  Marmite consistency is more caramel like for lack of a better term.  Never tasted it to compare (fool me once).

History Channel did a special about those biscuits.   Oreos are like Hydrox since Hydrox came out years before Oreos.  The Hydrox name comes from hydrogen and oxygen.   The Oreo name and cookie pattern/design both had an origin story.

Thank you. I will take your word on the flavor of Vegemite. ;) I will not be buying any. 

Regarding Hydrox, thanks there as well. I just remember every time someone offered me “a Hydrox cookie” I imagined some bizarre flavored thing that appeared chocolaty good but wouldn’t be. :lol: 
I mean, think about it, the word Hydrox doesn’t exactly exude “tasty chocolaty cookie with a creamy filling”. 

I actually love Vegemite mixed in with mashed potato, just a little bit to slightly colour it  :wub:

I often mix a little bit with peanut butter on buttered (NOT margarine'd) toast :wub::wub:

I have even spread some (sparingly) on a fried (unmarinated) steak. :wub::wub::)

Archived