SASS Wire Forum

Question for Pontoon Boat Owners

First let me explain my position.

This Summer I bought a Pontoon from Hotwoods Pontoons. I have my own lake that is full of Bass, Bluegill, Catfish and especially Crappie. We are also in the flyway for a lot of Migratory Birds. Geese, Egrets, Blue Heron, wood duck, Teal etc.  Anyway since I had to give up Cowboy shooting I decided that the pontoon boat would be perfect. I could fish in the mild weather, and then duck hunt in the fall ( I discovered that by putting on extra recoil reduction on my shoulder and then recoil pad on the shotgun I could handle shooting my 28 Gauge.) I have a Blind for the boat.

My intention was to leave the pontoon boat on the lake year round. So, that I could use it on a whim at anytime. However I don’t know if it will cause any damage to the boat.

Question: Should I pull it out of the lake and winterize it, Leave on the lake with some Winterizing? 

I have a dock, but it is not covered. Only a tarp.

IMG_0437.jpeg

IMG_0436.jpeg

You might want to rethink leaving the boat in the water year round. From what I've seen in Florida, pond algae forms quickly on the aluminum pontoons and is a real pita to get off. Personally, if I had a way to trailer it, I wouldn't leave it in the water more than 2 or 3 months at a time regardless of the season.

When it is out of the water, I also suggest removing the prop, nut and pin to prevent theft. 

Edit - Freshwater mussels are also a problem for leaving the boat in the water long term and they are a real pita to remove once attached.

I would talk to the people that you bought it from about this. I recall people on Lake Norman in NC leaving their boats at their docks on the lake year round and taking them out once a year for maintenance. I also recall some getting a coating on the pontoons to protect from algae, but once coated it must be touched up occasionally. 
If your lake freezes I would definitely not leave the boat on the water in winter. 

EDIT: Actually, I would go to two other boat dealers with your questions then ask those you bought it from. 3 opinions are better than 1 in regards to a BOAT. 

Break Out Another Thousand. 

Had one with a lake house rental for a couple of years in a colder area of the country.  Took it out in the fall and put it back in the Spring.  Stored the outboard in the garage.  A very enjoyable boat for fishing and just partying with friends.

Note: Far easier and less expensive to care for than a small cabin cruiser my Dad got when he retired!

As long as it doesn’t freeze, you can leave it in the water.  You will get growth on the toons and motor that will need to be cleaned.    If your seals are marginal on the lower unit you may get after in the oil as well from the motor being in the water all the time.   

winterization of a pontoon is basically an oil and lower unit oil change.  If stored outside, the cover with a tarp and A frame to hold up the tarp to allow water to drain.  Other option is shrink wrap. 

at out lake, the common practice is to have lifts to store the boats.  Keeps the sun and water damage down, also keeps the tunes clean as they don’t sit in the water.  Older lifts are cheap, 500-5k but may not be wide enough for a newer pontoon.   A nice new pontoon lift could run 30k.  Personally I think the floe lifts are one of the best out there.  Steel shore stations work and are cheap, but a pain to adjust.  

If your water is subject to freezing, I would ensure your motor's impellor etc. is drained, to prevent freezing and cracking as well as damage to the impellor.

We always store our smaller motors inside or in heated storage, but the larger ones, that must remain outside require winterization.

you can get away with an overnight stay in freezing temperatures, if you leave the motor down, in the water, thus keeping the impellor from freezing, but if you leave it canted up and out of the water in freezing weather, you'll have a problem.

The picture is from a moose hunt in mid October, near Gowganda. Note the motors are down with props and impellors in the water.

Everything works fine as long as the river doesn't freeze.

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Thanks for all the advice. I should have mentioned. The Gas motor is a 6 hp that stays in temp controlled storage. Only used if I take the boat somewhere else. The lakes in my area are fairly shallow so nobody runs anything but a trolling motor. The boat was special ordered from Hotwoods that specialize in pontoons for small bodies of water. It will maneuver and float well in 12” of water. Hotwoods is located in two places. Texas and Nebraska I believe. Even though the lake does freeze, it’s never for very long two or three days. I should be safe until mid January which is usually when we get possible freezes. 

I’ll play it safe and not put it in at all this year. Then concentrate on a storage building and take it out when not using

I did buy a high power pressure washer as many have told me it should be rigorously cleaned between different bodies of water due to invasive species. 

please keep the advice coming. I really want to protect my retirement investment. Again. Thanks for all the comments

Yes, take it out of the water in the winter.  Best to store it under cover.  Most here in MN are in enclosed buildings/barns.  It probably could survive in the water, but why expose it to harsh elements?  Be careful with the pressure washer, it can cause damage.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:06 PM, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Thanks for all the advice. I should have mentioned. The Gas motor is a 6 hp that stays in temp controlled storage. Only used if I take the boat somewhere else. The lakes in my area are fairly shallow so nobody runs anything but a trolling motor. The boat was special ordered from Hotwoods that specialize in pontoons for small bodies of water. It will maneuver and float well in 12” of water. Hotwoods is located in two places. Texas and Nebraska I believe. Even though the lake does freeze, it’s never for very long two or three days. I should be safe until mid January which is usually when we get possible freezes. 

I’ll play it safe and not put it in at all this year. Then concentrate on a storage building and take it out when not using

I did buy a high power pressure washer as many have told me it should be rigorously cleaned between different bodies of water due to invasive species. 

please keep the advice coming. I really want to protect my retirement investment. Again. Thanks for all the comments

One of our people found even an overnight freeze was enough to damage the impellor. I think it may have even cracked the casing.

My advice is to run it dry even if it's out overnight in freezing weather.

You didn't mention if it has a gas tank. I am assuming the small engine has an internal tank too. I would turn off the fuel supply and run the engine dry of fuel....especially if it is a s stroke. I would also put in any internal tank , fuel conditioner.

I have a 6 HP motor with internal gas tank. It is kept in a temp controlled building. It’s only used if a take the boat somewhere other than my place. I Only use a trolling motor on my lake

my advice is pull it out unless your using it daily , im in the same country as cold lake - we have to deal with more of the freeze concerns but even here leaving it in the water is asking for trouble from aquatic chit , we use boat lifts here - that might be an option , in the lake but out of the water save when your using it , 

Archived