SASS Wire Forum

Batteries: Has anybody found good ones?

Dusty Devil Dale

I used to (15+ years ago) buy Duracell batteries for my many flashlights and other battery appliances.  I  bought them from local hardware stores or drug stores and they always worked well, lasted well and had no obvious problems.  A flashlight would last me all night, hiking or working. 

Then, about 10 or so years ago,  I began to buy them at COSTCO in much cheaper bulk packages.  It looked to be a good deal. 

But WAIT!

"Made in China" should have signaled me to be cautious.  But I put them into my many lights and appliances, just as I had always done.  These included expensive  tachometers, wood moisture meters, temperature instrumentation, Cameras, and other tools that are expensive to replace.  The Duracells did not last very long, which actually ended up to be a blessing.  Thankfully, I now have to open the battery compartments much sooner than usual to replace the cells.  I very often find  tell-tale white (acid) powder and blue galvanic corrosion that if left unnoticed for a time will slowly destroy the expensive appliances' battery harness.  

The Duracell external cases are now very fast-corroding, seemingly regardless of humidity or other environmental  conditions.  And I am lucky to get a half-hour of use before the flashlight starts dimming.  

So, I'm frustrated and looking.  Short of converting everything to Lithium batteries, do any of you have any good reports to share about ordinary batteries?

Is there a good quality dry cell battery brand out there any more?  I'm looking for a source of all sizes of dry cell batteries that are of similar quality to what we used to buy.  

Have used both Energizer and Duracell from Costco, rarely a problem.  The key seems to be to REALLY pay attention to age and use and replace regularly.  The best I have are Surefire and Surefire Rechargeable.  The rechargeable are really excellent,  I have two sets that I rotate in my flashlights.  Costs nothing after purchase except house current and care.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I used to (15+ years ago) buy Duracell batteries for my many flashlights and other battery appliances.  I  bought them from local hardware stores or drug stores and they always worked well, lasted well and had no obvious problems.  A flashlight would last me all night, hiking or working. 

Then, about 10 or so years ago,  I began to buy them at COSTCO in much cheaper bulk packages.  It looked to be a good deal. 

But WAIT!

"Made in China" should have signaled me to be cautious.  But I put them into my many lights and appliances, just as I had always done.  These included expensive  tachometers, wood moisture meters, temperature instrumentation, Cameras, and other tools that are expensive to replace.  The Duracells did not last very long, which actually ended up to be a blessing.  Thankfully, I now have to open the battery compartments much sooner than usual to replace the cells.  I very often find  tell-tale white (acid) powder and blue galvanic corrosion that if left unnoticed for a time will slowly destroy the expensive appliances' battery harness.  

The Duracell external cases are now very fast-corroding, seemingly regardless of humidity or other environmental  conditions.  And I am lucky to get a half-hour of use before the flashlight starts dimming.  

So, I'm frustrated and looking.  Short of converting everything to Lithium batteries, do any of you have any good reports to share about ordinary batteries?

Is there a good quality dry cell battery brand out there any more?  I'm looking for a source of all sizes of dry cell batteries that are of similar quality to what we used to buy.  

Before you go all in on lithium, 

I use a CPAP multivoltage machine (Air Sense 10) and in our 5th wheel (including two panel solar) we have to be careful about battery operated light use at night (or use the generators constantly during the day, ughhh) to keep from running the batteries down. I will usually run an inverter for 110 for the CPAP and in the morning the battery indicator will be in the yellow. Talked to a lithium battery manufacturor about their model EXP96 PRO battery ($400) to run the CPAP at night, thus freeing up the batteries of the camper for other functions. Their rep told me that I could expect from full charge that the lithium battery would run at least two, possibly three nights at 8-9 hours per night.

Well.....

After charging at home from wall plugin for nearly 10 hours, the first night lasted exactly 6 1/2 hours to total dead. (it had arrived at 3/4 charged from the manufacturor)

After direct charging from the generators for 12 hours the next night it lasted 8 hours to total dead.

I have it at home today and it has been on the wall plugin since slightly after 12 noon, and is showing 4 green lights charged , as did the other uses.

I am planning to use it tonight and if it is anything other than 8 hours function and still having enough juice for tomorrow without additional charging it is going back on Wednesday. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Tired of hype that just ain't so

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Most of my alkaline powered products are now powered by rechargeable Energizer NiMH batteries.  The batteries cost 4x as much to buy plus the $20 charger but you can recharge them 100 times (I didn't really count).  Run them until battery life is no longer acceptable, usually 3-4 years in my flashlights.  Other brands may be better than Energizer, these have been satisfactory for 15 years.  

Warning:  the NiMH batteries don't start as high voltage as alkaline so if you're running highly sensitive equipment that needs 1.5v ignore the recommendation.  They work for flashlights and radios.

71d-K5pcYfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

I use Energizer for my non-rechargeable devices and am happy with them.  I also just did my annual replacement of my solar yard lights and got the same ones you show above.  Don't know how long they will last but I notice my lights are noticeably brighter.

I buy northtech NiMH Rechargeable batteries from Menards. AA and AAA.

They last a while and I get NY monies worth.

Alkaline Batts not so much

I run about a dozen cell cams on my hunting property. All the cams take D cell and I’ve had the best luck with Rayovac . I’ve tried Duracell and the Costco batteries along with Energizer. I have Cuddyback cameras and they do recommend Rayovac . So I could see that some manufacturers have optimized performance because they used a certain manufacturer’s battery during development. Not sure if it would apply to you but I have several cameras that get good sun and I’ve put solar panels on them. I’ve been running a couple cameras for almost 2 years now without a battery change 

Duracell's use to be my go to batteries.  NO LONGER....they have leaked and ruined several MagLites and Minimags, to the point that I can't even remove them from the flashlight.  It's not because I don't check them, but because they leak so early after installation.   Energizers seem to work better, but the best flashlight on the market today is the Surefire 6PX Pro, which uses the 123A lithium battery.  It will fit in your pocket and still light up a tremendous area.....

Archived