SASS Wire Forum

Funny Photos - add some.

Pat Riot

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a weird picture. I have no idea what’s going on. Look at some of the expressions on people’s faces. :lol:
image.jpeg.2d5734738e940ee1b339039632537b0f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's a cute picture, and it is funny. But it makes me wonder why they are blessing the dogs.

I've heard of blessing the fishing fleet. But blessing the toy dogs?

The church up the road from us does a "Blessing of the dogs" annually.

• Like 2

Our Anglican Church has had Blessing of the Animals Services from time to time. 

Amazing what some parishioners have as pets.

Those around us seemed to give Sherron and I a wider berth however, when they saw Sherron snuggling Fleur in her lap. 

Fleur was our pet skunk, raised from a kitten, after her mother and siblings were killed or died, and was de-scented.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

It's a cute picture, and it is funny. But i makes me wonder why they are blessing the dogs.

I've heard of blessing the fishing fleet. But blessing the toy dogs?

As others pointed out Blessing of Animals is a common practice.  Many Roman Catholic parishes have a Blessing of the Animals on the feastday of St. Francis, or the Sunday closest to it.

Orthodox will also have a Blessing of the Animals.  And cars, wells, beehives, swords, ships, soldiers and sailors, and almost anything else you can think of.

During our annual house blessing Fr. L or Fr. N would usually also bless our dog (sprinkle with Holy Water in the sign of the Cross).  First time Fr. N did it his wife was aghast.  "You blessed a dog?" "Why not?  She's one of God's creations."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was unaware of that, being neither Catholic nor Orthodox.

But we have a blessing of the fleet at a fishing - I'm not sure if it's still small enough to be called a village - some 60 miles down the road. November.

https://www.floridarambler.com/florida-festivals/florida-seafood-festival-apalachicola/

>Blessing of the Fleet, as boats parade past

The colorful Blessing of the Fleet is staged at Battery Park on Friday afternoon before the festival weekend. Several clergy, joined by King Retsyo and Miss Florida Seafood, bless the parade of passing fishing, shrimp and oystering vessels. Recreational vessels join the parade.<

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 1:47 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Brother and sister-in-law have a large barn with riding arena and some 12 horse stalls. Attached is a modest bungalow with one bedroom and bathroom.  Kitchen, kitchen table and living room all in one.  

Don’t give AB ideas!

• Haha 2