SASS Wire Forum

KG-9 Leather Kote is discontinued

Max Payne

I have used this as "slickum" on my & my wife's holsters for years, & I know several cowboys who do also.

Got ready to order some & found it is discontinued. I called them, & they said they didn't sell enough, & it is too expensive for them to make & sell at a reasonable price. It was about $22 for 2 oz, but it didn't take much, so a container lasted a long time.

Anyway, if some of you used it, as I did, & have found a good replacement, I'd like to know about it.

Thankyah!!

19 minutes ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Give us a review when you do.  There was a post not long ago about KG9 being discontinued and someone mentioned a substitute but I don't remember if it was this one.  Can't find that post.

1 hour ago, Major Art Tillery said:

I ordered this and have used it a couple of times. It is an extremely small container so I’m using it sparingly. It seems to work ok, I’ll know more after next week when I shoot the Alabama State Match. 

Randy

7 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I ordered this and have used it a couple of times. It is an extremely small container so I’m using it sparingly. It seems to work ok, I’ll know more after next week when I shoot the Alabama State Match. 

Randy

Cool! See you next week.

Another choice, new to me for various purposes is Renaissance Wax from Picreator Enterprises, UK.  Also a Museum Quality product.  I have a recently acquired can on my work bench but have not yet begun to use it.  Go to their site for more info if interested.

I have used Draw Ez for years on one sticky holster.  An application works for a few matches.  It is slimy and I have to wash my hands after applying it.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:48 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

I ordered some. 1/2 OZ for $20. YIKES! I may try the Pecards mentioned above also.

I have a replacement for KG9 that works pretty well and is cheaper as well, the only issue is it’s white not clear like KG9, I bought 4oz of PTFE powder on line for $54 you mix it with 10 weight silicone oil also available on line fairly cheap. Make your mix as thick or thin as you like and this stuff is slippery as hell, it dries white because PTFE is white, I’m not sure what kind of PTFE KG was using in their mix, neither the PTFE or silicone will hurt your leather or your guns and a 4oz jar of PTFE will last you the rest of your life once you get things mixed. For those who don’t know PTFE is Teflon which is why it’s so slippery and when you add 10 wt silicone oil YIKES it’s like butter on ice. Hope this helps 

Running out of my KG-9.

That one little jar has lasted YEARS.

Just ordered the Galco EZ Draw today.

Went ahead and got 2. Paying shipping anyway. Might as well. 

Don't know how far it goes. But know someone else you probably use some. 

Archived