SASS Wire Forum

Will fire set off a grenade?

Alpo

Movie

You got two or three hand grenades on the front seat of your car. Your car is in a wreck and is on fire.

Will the heat of the burning car cause the grenades to explode?

It did in the movie, but all kinds of things explode in movies. :P

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The abstract suggests that fire can set off the primer and/or the fuse train, which would result in the detonation of the grenade.

Reason would say that extreme heat will cause the main charge to detonate.  Think of throwing cartridges into a fire.

He was the leader of the mercenaries that were smuggling the heroin in LETHAL WEAPON.

Why wouldn't he have three grenades in his car?

I seem to recall in Gunnery school someone asked if grenades can explode if in a fire. I recall the instructor’s response was “Don’t do that!”

Personally, I would say probably. There is a reason grenades are kept in magazines aboard ship. I am sure the other services have special storage as well, even if that storage is a metal box set away from the troops and other supplies. 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:07 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The simple answer is YES!!  

That is what I was thinking when I first read this. I have no experience with grenades so I was only going by what I had read, and that wasn't much.

I am not sure if the explosive charge is a mil safe explosive like C4.  Since grenades are stored with the fuse installed they will go boom in a fire.  C4 requires heat and pressure to detonate.  It wasn't unusual for grunts to heat C Rats by using a burning chunk of C4.  You just didn't breath the fumes or not wash your hands after handling the can.

I have heard of using a chunk of burning c4 to heat rations.

I have also heard that if, after your rations were hot, you were to stomp out the fire, you could lose a foot.

Archived