SASS Wire Forum

Can have such mixed feelings

My late wife’s brother was an AH for sure, seldom employed, always broke, but always managed to have a case of beerat hand. Haven’t had contact in years.

I see from his daughter’s FB page that he has passed. Somehow I should not care but I do.

Works like that sometimes.

As one of my relations, (an Anglican Priest) used to say, "You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your relations!"

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

My late wife’s brother was an AH for sure, seldom employed, always broke, but always managed to have a case of beerat hand. Haven’t had contact in years.

I see from his daughter’s FB page that he has passed. Somehow I should not care but I do.

Your humanitarian side cares.  He's a fellow human being with whom you were acquainted.  You care because you knew him.  Your realist side says good riddance.  Completely understandable.

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

Your humanitarian side cares.  He's a fellow human being with whom you were acquainted.  You care because you knew him.  Your realist side says good riddance.  Completely understandable.

Well said.

No... perfectly stated.

One of my uncles, on my mother's side, was known in the family as the "moralist" who chided his siblings for any misdeeds, always serious minded.  Then WWII happened.  After he came back he became an alcoholic.  Could never hold a job for the rest of his life.  Never talked about the war but was one of the kindest men I ever knew.  He also suffered three DT's.  What had he seen or experienced no one knows.  Passed away about 25 years ago.  I pray the demons that plagued him disappeared. 

My ex-wife's brother is a liar and a thief and a - think of anything that's bad and fill in the blank.

So when he kicks the bucket it will not bother me in the least.

Except - my daughter's uncle will have died, and that will probably upset her, so I will feel bad. Not for him. For her.

In 2008, Rick, then 48 and living with his parents, already had an ex-wife and two kids, not paying support, had a job soldering circuit boards. Worked with several Cambodian women who started working on him, bringing things for his lunch. “You must be lonely, we have a sister in Cambodia.” Brought her here to live with his parents, married, mother died. Father said get out…..

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne

My old pard and closest friend Hank loved his Ma, of course; however, it would be an understatement to say that she drove him nuts.  Many a time he would have pulled his hair out over her - if he had any left to pull out.  (Hmm...  perhaps that's WHY he was so thin on top?)  Actually, she seemed to have that affect on many folk.  Personally, though, I got along with her just fine.  

Well, Hank passed in 2019.  Some joked that at last he was going to get some peace, as his mom was still steaming strong.   

This last June we celebrated her 100th birthday.

About a month ago I had a call from Hank's son ~ "Sad news, Uncle R.; Grandma went to be with Dad last night."

Perhaps irreverently, the first thought and words outta my mouth were "Good Lord!  You don't s'pose he's gonna send her back, do ya??"  :huh:  :rolleyes:

(I actually wrote and delivered both their eulogies)

On 11/27/2022 at 8:18 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Works like that sometimes.

As one of my relations, (an Anglican Priest) used to say, "You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your relations!"

Well, you can always pick you NOSE!

3 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Well, you can always pick you NOSE!

OR, you can pick..........................................

Never mind.

I like it in here and MOST of you are good folks.

Archived