SASS Wire Forum

Don't See That Pass You on the Interstate Every Day.

Sedalia Dave

I've seen it twice in my life. Very interesting endings in both cases. Although the drivers were bleeding profusely after both instances, I compliment law enforcement with their restraint both times.

Contrary to the line of thought here, one CAN outrun the police. It actually happens quite often.  The police and media seldom allow it to be made public, but it HAS and DOES happen quite often.

Several of my LEO friends have relayed some pretty wild stories about pursuits that were abandoned because they were either too dangerous or because they were simply unable keep up.

Seen a bunch of them.  It's amazing how well a vehicle on three wheels can be steered.  Or one with four flat tires. 

I've seen them go for miles.  Yes, they do start fires like that.  I doubt they would be criminally charged since there was no intent to start fires.  

During my tenure as a patrol officer, I did terminate several chases based on the fact that they were endangering other people.  

50 year old story.  Guy in college told of a couple old maid sisters had an old car they never bothered to renew the licens plates.  The local Barney Fife tried to pull them over.  But they kept going around town until he gave up and dropped back.  They later told the story of some crazy person chasing them around town with flashing lights.

Cancelling vehicle chases has been pretty routine since about 2000.  The liability of pursuing a traffic offence was not worth it.   Our chase policy was so restrictive, we couldn't even chase stolen cars or burglars.  It had to be a forcible felony like armed robbery or murder.

Brings new meaning to RAM Tough.

Archived