SASS Wire Forum

2 person 72 hour survival kit

Alpo

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ready-America-2-Person-Emergency-Kit-3-Day-Backpack-Red-Five-Year-Shelf-Life/10910697?athbdg=L1600&irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_WcZwc61x5xyNWL7yH-RmpxoKUkDVFryBUTIAXI0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_2055067&clickid=WcZwc61x5xyNWL7yH-RmpxoKUkDVFryBUTIAXI0&sharedid=&affiliates_ad_id=565706&campaign_id=9383&uuid=SkjULeTYG2EjT4Op4546

Who dreams up this stuff?

This thing has two Mayday bars, and 12 pouches of water. Now the Mayday bars are supposed to be 3 days worth of food in one bar. Having never tried one, I will accept that. So two bars will be fine for two people.

But 12 pouches of water. Two people, so that's six pouches each. 3 days so that's two pouches per day per person. 4 oz pouches. So one cup of water a day for 3 days, and you can survive?

The kit has two mylar survival blankets, and two of the 99 cent emergency rain ponchos. It has nitrile gloves and two dust masks. Two chemical light sticks, and a 33 piece first aid kit that, judging by the size of it, is going to be mostly Band-Aids. It says there's a Leatherman wannabe, but I don't see it in the picture. There's a whistle, and I really love this one, there's a pocket pack of Kleenex. I guess that's supposed to be toilet paper?

In the description it says it has an emergency power supply, that is hand cranked and includes a radio, a flashlight and a cell phone charger, but I don't see that in the picture either, and it's also not listed in the individual list of stuff.

Now maybe, for 10 bucks, you're not getting ripped off too badly. But people are going to buy this and think they're set.

Part of the problem is that once a person is suckered I mean errs is buying something like this, they will get more and more offers as their name and address is sold to others for and "Opportunity" to buy more of the same.

Even municipalities and corporations fall for it and become victims, once they make the list.

24 minutes ago, Alpo said:

But 12 pouches of water. Two people, so that's six pouches each. 3 days so that's two pouches per day per person. 4 oz pouches. So one cup of water a day for 3 days, and you can survive?

A person can survive 3 days without water, (yes, I had to do that).   Buried earthquake and building collapse survivors have gone a little longer.   So, maybe they're thinking, "Heck, some is better than none... We'll call it a survival pack and rip off,  make a lot of money!

One note: I bought several cases of gallons of botted water for Y2k, a year or two later, some of the bottles started to fail.  Not designed for long term storage.  There are some very good water purification straws and other devices good for other than dry places.

46 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

One note: I bought several cases of gallons of botted water for Y2k, a year or two later, some of the bottles started to fail.  Not designed for long term storage.  There are some very good water purification straws and other devices good for other than dry places.

I discovered that. I don't remember if it was Y2K or hurricane, but I remember buying a case at Sam's. Six one gallon bottles in a cardboard box. This was the same plastic that they make milk bottles out of. And I never lost the water so I never got into this box, and about 4 or 5 years later I came across it and opened the box and found two empty bottles, two full bottles and the other two had between a third and a half in them.

Milk bottle plastic is designed to fall apart, because people toss milk bottles. It's designed to degrade.

The small bottles of water - half liters, 20 oz, and liter - are made of very flimsy plastic. I don't know how well they would stand up over the long term.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but my soda of choice is seltzer. And it comes in very sturdy plastic bottles. It has to because of the pressure of the carbonation. And when I have finished the seltzer I refill the empty bottle with tap water that has been through my purifier.

These things are not going to fall apart.

You can, of course, store water in any 2-liter soda bottle. But they all had sugar in them, so you got to wash them out. Getting them clean is not as easy as it sounds.

All seltzer bottles had in them was carbonated water.

Wait a min!! If there are only two people ... isn't the slowest person the survival kit??

Remember when "we" used to be in school ... and they would always do the "bomb shelter" thing.

You would be incharge of the shelter and you could only support a limited of people. You would choose from a list of available people with different talents ... make and explain your choices for your shelter to your class.

... and then you would go home ... and ... 

"My" ... mom would always complain when the air raid siren went off because a neighbor up the street would not pay any attention. She would always say .... "if she doesn't turn off her lights .... that bomb will roll right down the street to our house" ... ^_^

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

but my soda of choice is seltzer.

Lay in a 24 pk. case of Pellegrino liter bottles.  They pack it in glass bottles.

I don't consider myself a prepper, but I buy a fresh case or two of 24 half litre bottles of water every couple of months and use up the older ones.

My basement shelf stock and freezer usually has enough to keep us going for a few weeks, as long as the NG generator works. 

On 10/23/2022 at 1:25 PM, Rip Snorter said:

I have LifeStraws.

Archived