SASS Wire Forum

Semper Supra

Rye Miles #13621

How long has the Space Force been existence?

How long were the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard around before they each had an official song?  For that matter how long did it take for the United States to adopt a national anthem?

It seems to me that the the new USSF was created to be a laughing stock.  Even the words mean practically nothing because the branch hasn't been in existence long enough to have earned anything.

Let's all link our arms together and sing our new song.  Isn't it neat?

Trump was the one that officially announced  the Space Force, so that was maybe 3-4 yrs ago.

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Trump was the one that officially announced  the Space Force, so that was maybe 3-4 yrs ago.

19 Feb 2019, oops that’s when it was announced. Was created 20 Dec 2019.

i saw that there is a “space fence” I looked it up to see if it will keep illegal aliens out. No such luck.

Do you all realize that China has a Space Force? Trump was being proactive. 
Some people laugh at it now, but someday it will be a viable branch of the military. Actually, it probably is now. They just keep everything classified and “need to know”. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do you all realize that China has a Space Force? Trump was being proactive. 
Some people laugh at it now, but someday it will be a viable branch of the military. Actually, it probably is now. They just keep everything classified and “need to know”. 

Russia created a space force in ‘92, post soviet years.

8000 members in US Space Force.

Interesting: Air & Space Magazine (used to be Air Force Magazine) wouldn't even let us listen to the song. Just posted the lyrics, It will take a while for the Space Force song to become as familiar as the other service songs. But when we have to defend our rights in space against aggression by other countries, or even private criminals, it will be Space Force troops and equipment doing the job! ^ (Nearest I can come to posting the Space Force emblem.) Semper Supra!

And, yes, had it been around fifty-five years ago, I probably would have applied for a branch transfer. 

Circa 1947.... Air Force that's not even a thing. What do we need ANOYHER branch for? I mean the Army has all that stuff in the Air Corp now...

Yea that worked out

52 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Circa 1947.... Air Force that's not even a thing. What do we need ANOYHER branch for? I mean the Army has all that stuff in the Air Corp now...

Yea that worked out

The Air Corp actually changed their designation to the US Army Air Force in June of 1941. A split was already being anticipated. Most other Allied nations had already done it.

I thingk the main difficulty in acceptance is because of the name. Itcontours up visions of hundreds of science fiction films made over the past yeas since WWII. Some Pentagon think tankers should have been able to come up with a moniker that wouldn’t be quite so controversial.

The Star Trek emblem didn’t help

Yep but like Space Force Guardians who were Airmen 2 years ago the Air Corp soldiers were still in The Army. 

Now they are officially their own branch.

I'm holding out for near space fighters and destroyers myself.

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I were an 18 year old now I would join the Space Force.

Tell us why.

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Tell us why.

It’s new and I will bet it’s interesting…

Of course I thought the Navy would be exciting. Standing watches and being at sea for weeks on end before hitting a liberty port wasn’t all that exciting, but I learned a lot and have many fond memories of my experiences. 
I do think at this time the Space Force is basically a force without a mission, but I would bet there are interesting projects in the works and I would also bet they are Top Secret and the general public has no clue what is going on with the Space Force now. 

I am making HUGE assumptions here. 

And it has that really supra snazzy comic book uniform.  How long has the Space Force been in existence?

How long were the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard around before they each had an official song?  For that matter how long did it take for the United States to adopt a national anthem?

It seems to me that the the new USSF was created to be a laughing stock.  Even the words mean practically nothing because the branch hasn't been in existence long enough to have earned anything.

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s new and I will bet it’s interesting…

Of course I thought the Navy would be exciting. Standing watches and being at sea for weeks on end before hitting a liberty port wasn’t all that exciting, but I learned a lot and have many fond memories of my experiences. 
I do think at this time the Space Force is basically a force without a mission, but I would bet there are interesting projects in the works and I would also bet they are Top Secret and the general public has no clue what is going on with the Space Force now. 

I am making HUGE assumptions here. 

I think if you were 18 the opportunities for an interesting job in the Space Force would be limited. It’s a highly technical branch from what I could determine and those with degrees will be in the best positions. No entry level ammo loaders, firemen, or gunners I imagine.

A friend of mine from Idaho joined the Navy because he wanted to see the ocean and liked the Cracker Jack uniform. Before he got out of boot camp they changed the uniform to the Bus Driver one. Then he was stationed in the engine room of the USS Constellation. Hardly saw much of the sea. Then when he got pout, they changed back to the Crackerjack uniform. He’s still bitter. :D

Just now, Subdeacon Joe said:

If you think about it NORAD, or whoever controls the military satellites was the Space Force.

Yeah. There has been somebody doing the job since ballistic missile defense became a thing. Just too bad they couldn’t come up with a less laughable name.

Like Space Warriors or Galaxy Commandos ;)

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I thingk the main difficulty in acceptance is because of the name. Itcontours up visions of hundreds of science fiction films made over the past yeas since WWII. Some Pentagon think tankers should have been able to come up with a moniker that wouldn’t be quite so controversial.

The Star Trek emblem didn’t help

image.png.cbb32cfbe13bb31ad9fffb2e5c109147.pngimage.thumb.png.2622aafe433b5bd51953a11393e3fa27.png image.png.cbb32cfbe13bb31ad9fffb2e5c109147.pngThere's a difference but they are similiar!

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

image.png.cbb32cfbe13bb31ad9fffb2e5c109147.pngimage.thumb.png.2622aafe433b5bd51953a11393e3fa27.png image.png.cbb32cfbe13bb31ad9fffb2e5c109147.pngThere's a difference but they are similiar!

Waaaay too similar. What were they thinking?

I can’t believe it never came up in discussions.

32 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And it has that really supra snazzy comic book uniform.  How long has the Space Force been in existence?

Here, you want to know something about what they do?

Click the link…or don’t. 

https://www.spaceforce.mil/

3 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

What would you have suggested instead? Have you compared the Air Force enlisted insignia with the old-time cavalry insignia, versus the more modern Army insignia? The cavalry insignia through sergeant formed a vee. The Army later went to an inverted vee. When the Air Force separated from the Army, they went to the present form that is essentially a vee, but so that it looks like a bird's wings with the star inside the roundel.  Right now, the Space Force's main mission is control and defense of our military and civilian satellites out to Geosynchronous Earth Orbit (GEO). That can be, and is done from the ground.  The day will come, however, when things will need to be done beyond GEO...to cislunar space and beyond.  Then Space Force will undoubtedly operate "out there...thataway"!  You and I may not see it, but USSF may become the basis for Star Fleet or whatever it might be called.  It will be interesting to see if Space Force remains part of the Air Force, or finally becomes totally separate.

Ad Astra!

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Here, you want to know something about what they do?

Click the link…or don’t. 

https://www.spaceforce.mil/

Interesting, I agree with you Pat if I was younger I would join!!

In the early 80’s I worked on anti-satellite weapons and other assorted really cool stuff that was part of President Reagan’s “Star Wars” or SDI - Strategic Defense Initiative. A few of those programs were “pie in the sky” but the US learned a lot from those projects. I can only imagine what is out there now 40 years later. 

30 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

"Ah, nobody will notice!"

12 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What would you have suggested instead?

Something that doesn't look like a Star Trek communicator.  Possibly a stylized Earth with a couple of satellites.  Maybe with a motto of sumus semper vigilantem .

9 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What would you have suggested instead? Have you compared the Air Force enlisted insignia with the old-time cavalry insignia, versus the more modern Army insignia? The cavalry insignia through sergeant formed a vee. The Army later went to an inverted vee. When the Air Force separated from the Army, they went to the present form that is essentially a vee, but so that it looks like a bird's wings with the star inside the roundel.  Right now, the Space Force's main mission is control and defense of our military and civilian satellites out to Geosynchronous Earth Orbit (GEO). That can be, and is done from the ground.  The day will come, however, when things will need to be done beyond GEO...to cislunar space and beyond.  Then Space Force will undoubtedly operate "out there...thataway"!  You and I may not see it, but USSF may become the basis for Star Fleet or whatever it might be called.  It will be interesting to see if Space Force remains part of the Air Force, or finally becomes totally separate.

Ad Astra!

I not sure what you mean by old time cavalry insignia. It has always been crossed sabers. I guess you mean rank chevrons which were changed about 1905 I believe. Prior to that they were British/European type.

And make no mistake. I am not anti Space Force. I just think the government made a foolish mistake. The optics have generated too much ridicule for an agency that has an important function and will look no doubt be even more important  in the future.

Did they think that the public would fall in love with a logo that appeared to be a derivative from a beloved TV show?

And now they have a theme song. I would be happy if they just quietly went to work.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And this sure isn’t helping. :(

1B29F430-F1D9-4BEF-B18E-D70E44EE6546.png

No. It was a leftist slap in Trump’s face. My wife wanted to watch it. We watched the first season. I will not watch any more. As a matter of fact we are canceling NitwitFlix. 

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

i saw that there is a “space fence” I looked it up to see if it will keep illegal aliens out. No such luck.

The space fence has been around for a long time.  It's so old it became obsolete, and has now been completely rebuilt.  Warfighting in space is nothing new, it just has its own service now.

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The space fence has been around for a long time.  It's so old it became obsolete, and has now been completely rebuilt.  Warfighting in space is nothing new, it just has its own service now.

Hopefully there won’t be a war to fight.

Archived