Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Next year the Winchester 1873 is 150 years old


Recommended Posts

Next year the Winchester 1873 is 150 years old. As a home metal machinist it amazes me that they turned out the number of Winchesters daily that they did with the machinery and tooling available back then. Even the lighting (or lack of)  that the machinists worked under amazes me. The pic below is a lot later than 1873, but shows to some extent the machinery being driven by an elaborate system of leather belts all off steam engines.

 

BrowningFactory1918-1.jpg.f13dfd89e82bb32f640e6bf79e959ed5.jpg

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 9:15 PM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Model 1873 150th Commemorative

image.thumb.png.aa2a988078b24834fbda624d83d2960d.png

 

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873/past/model-1873-150th-commemorative.html

 

Came out in 2016, Winchester's 150th.

I’m not following their logic… 1866, is not the same as 1873… so why offer an 1873 on anniversary if the 1866???

 

Just sayin!!

TB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TBBandito said:

I’m not following their logic… 1866, is not the same as 1873… so why offer an 1873 on anniversary if the 1866???

 

Just sayin!!

TB

They did make a Model 1866 150th Commemorative as well.  They just saw it as an opportunity to sell more '73's, too.   I'll bet we'll see something similar in '23.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

They did make a Model 1866 150th Commemorative as well.  They just saw it as an opportunity to sell more '73's, too.   I'll bet we'll see something similar in '23.

 I assume it will say MADE IN JAPAN.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Hmmm...    The Colt is also 150 next year.   Any chance Colt and Winchester will team up to issue a joint commemoration?

No.  Unless a distributor demands something quick, there will not be a commemorative Colt. I contacted Colt two months ago looking for a story and they said no plans were in place for a special run. Davidsons could buy a shipment and do something on their own but I would think they would be taking orders now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, john brown said:

 I assume it will say MADE IN JAPAN.

Yes. That is shown in one of the photos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TBBandito said:

I’m not following their logic… 1866, is not the same as 1873… so why offer an 1873 on anniversary if the 1866???

Winchester offered the following commemorative firearms for the 150th anniversary of Winchester 1866 - 2016.

image.png.5293bd8ac213c2dab5fbc1e212fe7ef0.png

 

WINCHESTER MODEL 70 150TH COMMEMORATIVE HIGH GRADE 270 WIN

WINCHESTER MODEL 1873 150TH COMMEMORATIVE 44-40 WIN

WINCHESTER MODEL 94 150TH COMMEMORATIVE, 30-30 WIN
WINCHESTER MODEL 1866 150TH COMMEMORATIVE HIGH GRADE 44-40 WIN
WINCHESTER MODEL 101 150TH COMMEMORATIVE 12GA 28"

 

Only 500 of each were manufactured.

Edited by Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Winchester offered the following commemorative firearms for the 150th anniversary of Winchester 1866 - 2016.

image.png.5293bd8ac213c2dab5fbc1e212fe7ef0.png

 

WINCHESTER MODEL 70 150TH COMMEMORATIVE HIGH GRADE 270 WIN

WINCHESTER MODEL 1873 150TH COMMEMORATIVE 44-40 WIN

WINCHESTER MODEL 94 150TH COMMEMORATIVE, 30-30 WIN
WINCHESTER MODEL 1866 150TH COMMEMORATIVE HIGH GRADE 44-40 WIN
WINCHESTER MODEL 101 150TH COMMEMORATIVE 12GA 28"

 

Only 500 of each were manufactured.

Thanks! I’m still of the nature that if you’re celebrating a Sesquicentennial, it should be specific to the date of or release of that item!! We didn’t celebrate our Bicentennial in 1975…

TB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 9:00 AM, TBBandito said:

Thanks! I’m still of the nature that if you’re celebrating a Sesquicentennial, it should be specific to the date of or release of that item!! We didn’t celebrate our Bicentennial in 1975…

TB

 

It made good sense because it was the Sesqui of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company, founded in 1866. So the commemoratives were of some of their most iconic guns since the founding.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will wait for the Italians Clone of the 1873 150th anniversary for 1/2 The price of the Japanese 1873 Clone of the 150th anniversary Rifles 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Timeless designs... The 1894 is 128 years old and the 1911 is 111 years old!  I'm 70 and a firearms guy all my life.  The longevity of these iconic firearms amazes me.  I was shooting a Wild Bunch match at Railroad Flat this weekend, and I realized the 1911 is a top notch weapon to this day, and far from obsolete!  In combat, I would rather have a 1911 than a Beretta M9 ANY DAY!

Edited by Tuolumne Lawman 6127
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Tuolumne Lawman 6127 said:

Timeless designs... The 1894 is 128 years old and the 1911 is 111 years old!  I'm 70 and a firearms guy all my life.  The longevity of these iconic firearms amazes me.  I was shooting a Wild Bunch match at Railroad Flat this weekend, and I realized the 1911 is a top notch weapon to this day, and far from obsolete!  In combat, I would rather have a 1911 than a Beretta M9 ANY DAY!

 Why is that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, john brown said:

 Why is that?

Military 9mm Nato FMJ never expands.  .45 ACP has double the frontal area of the 9mm, and doen't need to expand.  The best 9mm JHPs expand to about .60" + or -.  Winchester T-Seriesd 45 ACP expands to a full inch!  I have 7 years military and 20+ years as an LEO.  The .45 has been a better stopper since 1871 (Colt .44 Richards use a .451" heeled bullet in the .44 Colt case).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you talk to lawmen who can choose their own guns, 1911s in .45ACP [and Sig220s] are extremely popular. Especially the Ruger, Sig and S&W built 1911s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In my military service, I had a 1911A1, even when I was a Criminal Investigator. I had it issued instead of a 2" 38.  I carried it in a Roy's pancake holster, strong side, under my suit coat  In my entire LEO career, however, I only had a short window of one year that I was able to choose my caliber.  I had a Para-Ordnance P13 (13 shot 1911 Commander style).n I did a two year Homeland Security gig as a domestic Security Contractor protecting infrastructure, and I carried a 1911A1.

 

Now, I am 70, and I carry a Glock 43X in 9mm for EDC.  It is a compromise for easier concealment, and I am not enforcing laws..  I load either Federal HST 124 grain  +P or 9BPLE 115 grain +P+.  Modern 9mm ammo is very effective, but modern .45 ammo is even better.  I still have a 1911A1 I shoot in Wild Bunch, and carry in a drop leg holster when hiking in the woods.

Edited by Tuolumne Lawman 6127
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.